Have YOU used an IPhone on Celebrity?

cruisestitch

Specifically asking about Infinity.

Last year, on Constellation, the on-board computer geeks said that IPhones would not work at any wi-fi hotspot, although they did not tell me exactly why.

Things evolve so quickly, I'm wondering if anyone has tried lately and had any problems/any successes?

Thanks

The problem lies with the iPhone using Safari as a browser - at least that's my understanding. Mac users (like me!) wishing to use their laptops or MacBooks aboard need to load Firefox or some other compatible browser to be able to access the =X= onboard WiFi.

I believe there's specific info on Mac accessibility, if not iPhone, on the =X= web site. Perhaps someone else can jump in here and help out?

I am a new Mac user (and loving it!), and took both my MacBook and iPhone onboard Solstice for the first time. I was able to use Safari perfectly with the onboard wifi, no problems at all, with both my MacBook and iPhone.

Specifically asking about Infinity.

Last year, on Constellation, the on-board computer geeks said that iPhones would not work at any wi-fi hotspot, although they did not tell me exactly why.

Things evolve so quickly, I'm wondering if anyone has tried lately and had any problems/any successes?

Thanks

Hi.

My wife and I are just off the Azamara Journey (Transatlantic - Barcelona to Miami) a couple of weeks ago. As Journey is a part of the Celebrity group and uses the same networking protocols and set ups, there is no doubt in my mind that the iPhone will work for e-mail and for web browsing with Safari over WiFi on board.

We used our iPod Touch with software version 2.2 having set it up to retrieve mail using both a MobileMe mail account and an SMTP account with rogers.com.

(I might add that I have also used PowerBooks and iMacs over WiFi on board the Celebrity Infinity Alaska cruise last year.)

We set up the WiFi account first from the PeeCees in the computer centre and then were able to log on from anywhere on board.

We were told that Safari browser was not supported, that Macs are not supported and they really don't want you to use a Mail client that allows you to download mail and work off line. At as much as 65 cents a minute, there is no way in the world that I would use ANY kind of web based e-mail.

Using the iPod Touch, our typical connection time on WiFi was 2-3 minutes to download our mail and then log off. We would compose any replies and new e-mails and when we were satisfied with our messages created off-line, we would connect to WiFi and send out our mail.

I did use Safari to log on and log off the WiFi network and it worked reasonably well despite not being supported by the Celebrity/Azamara/RCL computer people.

I also used Safari from time to time to check news (mostly CBC.ca) and weather conditions back home (and upcoming ports using the little weather application.)

I have written to Azamara about the support and network facilities as it relates to Apple, iPod/iPhones and Macintosh. They also refuse officially to support the use of Mozilla and/or FireFox. The computers in the centre only have IE installed and as you may know, IE can not be used for a fairly large number of web sites because of Microsoft's insistance on using their proprietary codebase and ignoring many open standards.

Based on my e-mail complaints regarding these support issues, it appears that Azamara/Celebrity/RCL is interested in actually talking to me. They responded asking for a telephone number to allow for a direct conversation about my concerns. I must have made a rather strong and reasonable case. I certainly look forward to this and I will share my findings in this regard.

I am an absolutely committed Mac OS user and not likely to EVER consider switching and I will not suffer to see Macs marginalised. I vote with my feet and wallet.

If you're just talking about using the iPhone as a phone, yes it does work. If you're wanting to use it as a browser or for email, be careful. You could come home to a huge phone bill, as I did on one of our recent Celebrity cruises. Actually, most iPhone users were aghast at the bills they were receiving after taking the iPhone on cruises and using it as a browser. Some bills were up in the 4 figures, and mine was over $600. People didn't realize you're being charged per minute when your phone is scanning for email and other browser items. If you don't want to run up a huge bill, you have to disable or turn off Data Roaming. The original iPhones didn't have that ability until Apple received a lot of complaints about huge phone bills. They developed software that those of us with the first edition iPhones had to download to fix the problem. So now, whenever I'm cruising, I disable Data Roaming.

I don't have an iPhone so no experience there; however I am a Mac user and I took my MacBook on our Galaxy cruise in June/July 2007. I had no problems once (as MiddleEarth suggested) we'd set up the login account by using one of the internet centre PCs. My guess is that the code to do this is written in ASP - this is Microsoft-proprietary technology, and it probably relies on something in IE to actually exploit the code. Other browsers, including Safari and Firefox, probably don't respond to the ASP code in the same way (or at all). Once the account was set up, however, I was able to log in thereafter with the Mac, and use Safari, without problems.

I am seriously considering buying a netbook to take on this year's cruise on Solstice rather than take the full-sized Mac.

If you're just talking about using the iPhone as a phone, yes it does work. If you're wanting to use it as a browser or for email, be careful. You could come home to a huge phone bill, as I did on one of our recent Celebrity cruises. Actually, most iPhone users were aghast at the bills they were receiving after taking the iPhone on cruises and using it as a browser. Some bills were up in the 4 figures, and mine was over $600. People didn't realize you're being charged per minute when your phone is scanning for email and other browser items. If you don't want to run up a huge bill, you have to disable or turn off Data Roaming. The original iPhones didn't have that ability until Apple received a lot of complaints about huge phone bills. They developed software that those of us with the first edition iPhones had to download to fix the problem. So now, whenever I'm cruising, I disable Data Roaming.

All they did was change the default, so that data roaming is off by default. You now have to turn it on to use it. They now take into account that some people are new to using phones with data capability and don't read the manuals or understand that when you are out of your plans coverage area you are roaming.

You are absolutely correct about using the data roaming feature to browse the internet on iPhone. I leave it disabled and use the wifi feature to access the internet through the ship, thus only incurring charges through the ship.

You are absolutely correct about using the data roaming feature to browse the internet on iPhone. I leave it disabled and use the wifi feature to access the internet through the ship, thus only incurring charges through the ship.

I keep mine in Airplane mode with Wi-FI on when on the ship since I also don't want to receive any phone calls.

I am seriously considering buying a netbook to take on this year's cruise on Solstice rather than take the full-sized Mac.

I decided to leave the full size MacBook at home on our Journey T/A cruise and use the iPod Touch. I felt confident that Apple's technology would work despite not having had any response to questions sent to Azamara and their stated lack of support for Macs. Figuring if the Touch couldn't work, then we would suck it up and use the ship's internet centre computers and then, only use them for the barest minimum of communications. Webmail sucks and chews up internet minutes.

If you are a serious devotee of the Mac, I'd suggest that you might want to consider an iPod Touch. Still a lot smaller than a netbook fitting in a shirt pocket.. gives you the added benefit of a very portable media player for the display of pictures (of the kids you left at home), videos and of course, music or audiobooks to listen to on the flight to your cruise departure port.

The user experience of the iPod Touch (or iPhone) is remarkable. One very quickly gets used to tapping out messages on the virtual keyboard (trust it to fix your typos.)

Truth is, if Apple decides to release an iPod Touch with a 6x3.5 inch wide screen, I think they could destroy the netbook in it's infancy.

This has been an interesting thread. Twelve or eighteen months ago, if someone asked about using a Mac on a ship, there would have been 20 replies saying "Why would anyone use a Mac? Get a real computer."

Now, reply after reply from those using a Mac, iPhone or iPod touch on a ship and often mentioning how much they love their Apple product. I love the change, speaking as a long time Mac user and someone who earns their living working with Apple products. And it's only going to get better...

Worked at Apple for years... left in 1990. Love my Macs and wouldn't switch for anything!!

Me too, I cannot even remember life before my iPhone and MacBook... and I never even thought about it not working on the ship, I just took it on and obviously it worked wonderfully for me!

I have a T Mobile G 1 with the Google Android software. No issue with telephony, IM or Solstice wireless internet. Instant response and access.

It was cool to link the GPS Sat feature and the internet access to Google Map to see the position and travels of the ship as it progressed.

Incidently the Internet speed is 2 MPS download and 382 KPS upload, except when there was heavy usage through the ship's router.

I used to be a diehard PC fan, but I bought the Mac Air and now all I use is Mac. They're great and have many less issues with viruses. I just read that Microsoft is finally getting rid of Vista, which was a total pain in the behind and one of the reasons I went over to Mac.

Interesting to hear about your use of the Google Android based phone...

Just one question.. Have you gotten your bill for cell services from Solstice? Roaming charges for data?

Also I note you sailed on the Doric.. some years before I did... You are the first I have noticed that sailed on her. I did some research on her and found that she sunk in 2001 off the coast of South Africa after starting to take on water - while she was being towed to India for ship breaking.

Archived