Menu Surveys???

sail7seas

If HAL were to send you an e-mail survey asking what, if anything, you would like to see changed on the dinner menus, would you respond?

Is there anything you would you like to see added or eliminated?

I can't think of a thing I'd change; actually narrowing down each menu offering to what I want to consume calorie-wise is a NIGHTMARE! And I KNOW dessert will be forthcoming [ groan]

Add to that I'm not cooking dinner- NOR am I cleaning up afterward -NOR did I have to figure out a daily or weekly menu -and you have ONE HAPPY Camper! Er sailor...

Looking backward on 20 cruises; Looking FORWARD to 62 days on the "Amsterdam " next fall.........

Anne

Would very much like to see a return of flambe desserts on the dinner menus for all of HAL's ships. From what I've recently learned on this forum, they seem to be offered only on some ships and only on some sailings. That's one of the very few things I don't prepare at home and, based on our cruise experiences in the past, something we looked forward to enjoying on our three latest HAL sailings. Alas, none were offered on any of them. :(

We saw alot of new selections on the Noordam last week. I was surprised to see things I'd never seen before. The food was excellent as was the selection.

I don't think low carb dessert options would be a huge success for the line. Most people like to splurge a bit on dessert and from my experience, low carb dessert is not always the most tasty.

We found many low carb dinner options - they were even noted as such on the menu. I think this dinner menu had some of the broadest appeal of any we've seen lately, though there may be some who disagree.

I would like to see an "Always Available" section on the menu, that had a steak, and perhaps a chicken and a basic fish entree.

I thought it was already there... NY strip, chicken breast, salmon... :confused:

Am I wrong? My teen ordered an NY strip every night and my daughter loves the grilled chicken... they were pretty much against trying anything too different.

I'd like to see Salmon offered every evening...... it seems to me I remember it used to be. If I don't see something else I want to order, I'm always happy ordering salmon.

I'd like an 'interesting' pasta dish offered each evening with the option of having it on whole wheat pasta. I'd love to have a choice of a putenesca one night; a primavera another etc

I'd really like to see more attention paid to creating better salads.

A bread basket with whole wheat/whole grain choices.

Vegetables served as a side dish rather than as plate decoration. If they are serving green beans or whatever, it would be great if they actually put a portion of that vegetable on the plate. Seems in recent years, they put three beans on the plate and call it a serving of veggies.

I think it's very important to have sugar-free desserts noted so that those with a diabetes/insulin problem will know. However, as for low-carb, high-fiber, etc., etc., written on the menu, come on- those on Atkins, SB, WW or other eating plans know exactly what they are choosing when they see something on the menu, without everything being labelled.

For those who choose to eat on a healthy diet plan, like myself, does anyone really have a problem in choosing between a 10 oz. ribeye/baked potato with sour cream/creamed spinach entree and grilled salmon/baked sweet potato fries/mixed green salad with balsamic vinaigrette without the chef's guidance written on the menu?

It's a cruiseship dining room, not an Elizabeth Arden Spa, for heavens sake. :rolleyes:

I thought it was already there... NY strip, chicken breast, salmon... :confused:

Am I wrong? My teen ordered an NY strip every night and my daughter loves the grilled chicken... they were pretty much against trying anything too different.

I now recall seeing the chicken as some kind of Healthy Choice selection. What I don't recall seeing is a steak. At one time you could order a NY strip anytime with no questions asked although it was not listed on the menu. There have been scattered posts about "charging" for anything not on the menu.

Now I am totally confused. :confused: Can you or can you not order a NY strip steak on any night?

.....What I don't recall seeing is a steak. At one time you could order a NY strip anytime with no questions asked although it was not listed on the menu.... Now I am totally confused. :confused: Can you or can you not order a NY strip steak on any night?

What we have seen on the menu is 'From The Grill' everynight with the beef choice being a 'sirloin steak' (on other than formal nights when there is a better cut). The once or twice DH or I have ordered it for lack of anything else on the menu we have wanted, it has been thin and quite tough. Not a strip. BUT I have my menus and will go back and check. Stay tuned.

I think it's very important to have sugar-free desserts noted so that those with a diabetes/insulin problem will know. However, as for low-carb, high-fiber, etc., etc., written on the menu, come on- those on Atkins, SB, WW or other eating plans know exactly what they are choosing when they see something on the menu, without everything being labelled.

For those who choose to eat on a healthy diet plan, like myself, does anyone really have a problem in choosing between a 10 oz. ribeye/baked potato with sour cream/creamed spinach entree and grilled salmon/baked sweet potato fries/mixed green salad with balsamic vinaigrette without the chef's guidance written on the menu?

It's a cruiseship dining room, not an Elizabeth Arden Spa, for heavens sake. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with everything you write.

I don't care about them making note on the menu about it being low carb or whatever else. I CARE ALOT about them OFFERING grilled salmon, baked sweet potato fries and a GOOD green salad w/ balsamic etc. I do not need the Chef to indicate to me what is a healthy choice. I need the Chef to cook those healthy choices well and to offer them nightly.

There used to be a time when chicken and some type of fish was offered every evening. That wasn't the case on our last 21 day cruise.

I don't like a lot of spicey sauces and nearly everything was listed with some kind of sauce. Of course I told our waiter to forget the sauces which he did.

Yes - I would definitely answer a survery concerning foods if HAL were to either e-mail me one or send it by snail mail.

I'm just off the Maasdam and they had a caesar salad with sliced beef, salmon or chicken on top of the salad as the alternate every night. I would have prefered a simple broiled fish, steak or chicken with baked potato as the alternate.

I also noticed the menu cut down to one salad choice every night, and that was included in a "soup and salad" category rather than separate categories.

Every night there was a pasta choice, and also a vegetarian choice, and low carb was noted, as was "spicy".

Seemed to be a good variety of choices. The always available chicken, steak and salmon would be a good idea. The menu at first seemed to indicate that, but it was listed on the bottom with the caesar salad. Those were the things that could be added to the salad as one of our table mates found out when she tried to order the salmon. Veggies as more than a decoration is also a valid point.

If HAL wanted to do such a survey why shouldn't they use their "Mariner" email list (or snail mail list) that they use to send out special offers? We have already given them "permission" to send us mail about special offers and this could be couched in terms of ' a special offer to our loyal fans to assist us in creating .....' I would imagine a large number of recipients would be happy to respond. Since these are folks who have already experienced the line and are looking to book again I would think their opinions would be of more value to the line.

I'm with what seems to be the majority here (at least so far) that would like to see a "simple" option of chicken, steak and a fish entree with baked potato or fries available every night. That, of course, presupposes that the chicken, steak and fish are of sufficient quality to be prepared simply and still have good flavor without being tough or dried out.

The question of combining soup & salad as a single course is an interesting one. I wonder how many people really order both every night. Thinking back on my limited experience most of my table mates (and DH & I) generally had one or the other and rarely both. I wonder how many people really order an appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert every night. My guess is that a goodly percentage are ordering less and the lines are trying to figure out how to reduce the wastage without creating howls of disappointment by those who want the traditional 5 course menu but rarely order all items per night.

So I guess the answer to your question is Yes, I'd respond to an email or snail mail survey from HAL regarding dining options.

I dont know that I have a problem w/ the number and type of selections as much as the quality of the selections made available.

Although the presentations are lovely, the flavors of most entrees just don't live up to expectations - we have better dinners in mid-range restaurants at home. Appetizers and soups tend to be rather good tho - I've often thought I should just order a slew of appetizers...

Someone mentioned a lack of Flambe desserts - we had them on Amsterdam. They were done en-masse in a central area of the dining room, so perhaps weren't visible from where you were seated. Then again, the flavors were again lacking - a strong alchohol flavor rather than a caramelization of the fruit - so you weren't missing much (Oh, what I would have given for a decent Banana's Foster...) The Creme Brule's are also not right - they are waterier like a Flan, and are clearly not caramelized -- the sugar crust is laid on like a cookie instead of flamed or broiled on. Pastry selections tend to be better - and the ice creams are generally quite good!

In general, the chefs do basic selections rather well (except the meatloaf), but the more esoteric the selection, the worse the quality. I hope that this new executive chef takes the time to go back to basics w/ the chefs on board and teaches them how to really cook.

Meanwhile, I'm off to the Pinnacle....

WILLOWTAK -- We're booked on the 12/22 14-day sailing of the Rotterdam and are delighted to learn flambes were served in the Explorer's Lounge. Do you recall what time it was available? Is this info posted on the daily schedule delivered to pax the prior evening (didn't see it when we were on the Volendam, Zui or "O" this past year)?

Archived