Don't Let the "Whine" Bother You!

IUcruiser

I am always amazed that when riding in the elevator after stuffing myself, I hear people say how terrible the food is. Too bad some people can not just enjoy themselves. Moan and groan.

Relax, enjoy.

We now sometimes make it a point to start talking about how great the food is and all the fun we are having. I am sure the whiners get off and wonder who the hell those people were and what are they taking.

HA, i do that too. if they are complaining about the crew...i can go on and on and on about how great everyone has been, how friendly they are, etc. totally ticks the complainers off.

on the last cruise, there was a HAL cruiser...she just couldn't wait to complain to everyone. boy, did she pick the wrong group. hated the drinking water, all the public rooms were too cold (but she didn't think she should have to wear a sweater...after all HAL was never that cold)

she got every upset when me and a total strangers started praising everything (even the tap water). it was so funny:D

Or we could deal with them as you do a whiney 3 year old: "I can't understand your words when you are whining. Can you use your big boy/girl voice and I will try to help you.":D

I love it! Great!

I am looking forward to another cruise so I can try some of these out.

Maybe someone should start a new blog "CruisePraising.com" where you aren't allowed to point out ANY problems on any cruise ship, just all the good stuff.

So...you won't get any warnings of what to watch out for. You won't learn that you can't get "Fast Food" in Blue Lagoon in less than 45 minutes. You won't learn ANYTHING that you need to help you determine if this is the ship for you!

Sure, don't sweat the small stuff. But don't tolerate that big stuff,either!

THis thread is meant to lighten a few up, not to claim only positive statements should be made. As for Blue Lagoon, I don't know when you waited 45 minutes for food or on which ship, but we have cruised almost all the NCL ships and never waited more than 10 minutes for our food in Blue Laggon including when the place is packed around 2pm on port days. I guess anything can happen.

Nita

Or we could deal with them as you do a whiney 3 year old: "I can't understand your words when you are whining. Can you use your big boy/girl voice and I will try to help you.":D

Love this! I think I will try it out even at home in local dining venues

I did wait for a long time at the Blue Lagoon on the Spirit in July. It was the last night of the cruise and room service was shut down and all of the other restaurants were closed. It was crowded, hot, and the crew was working so hard to serve everyone. Some people were so ticked off and being very rude to the staff. If you get 1800 people in one place with only one small cafe open for food, things will bog down. To me, I can understand that, and we were fine waiting. Others, though, were obnoxious as hell and it made me embarrassed for them.

I did wait for a long time at the Blue Lagoon on the Spirit in July. It was the last night of the cruise and room service was shut down and all of the other restaurants were closed. It was crowded, hot, and the crew was working so hard to serve everyone. Some people were so ticked off and being very rude to the staff. If you get 1800 people in one place with only one small cafe open for food, things will bog down. To me, I can understand that, and we were fine waiting. Others, though, were obnoxious as hell and it made me embarrassed for them.

well that I can understand, there are exceptions to everything.

Nita

Hey, at least on NCL you don't have to eat dinner for seven nights with the Whiner family like we did on our last cruise with Royal Caribbean. These people never shut up about how lousy the food was, how bad their cabin was, how atrocious the ports were. DH refused to go to dinner after a while. The not only complained about the dinner as a whole, but they dissected and trashed every single item they ordered and rolled their eyes at us the whole time the waiter was talking. I know I could have asked to be moved but as our kids were in the same age group in the children's program it would have been very awkward. With NCL it's easier to avoid the frumps.

Actually I was able to shut a gal up once on our Jewel cruise. It happened she ended up at our table for lunch twice and breakfast twice as well. She was a vet cruiser, according to her, had cruised about 50 times, maybe, maybe not, I really don't know. Anyway she preceeded to bitch about the Jewel (brand new at the time I may add) and the food. She kept saying the food was way to spicey..the buffet was set up all wrong, the cabins could be larger and on and on. After 3 times I simply said to her? You really don't like NCL do you? Well, she quickly told me how nice the Sun was as NCL upgraded her to a mini suite. Then I inquired if she was upset because the Jewel had not done the same? Of course she started to back down at that point. She also decided, after I asked her what food was too spicey and how she would have liked the buffet to be set up, that the ship really was a nice one and the food was good overall, just a couple things could have been more to her liking, adding she was highly alergic to any hot spicey foods, her tongue would break out. Golly, was this the fault of NCL? Well, she soon decided maybe her favorite line, HAL just didn't use spices and she was from a part of the world where spicey foods are not used much.

Nita

I am not a cheerleader for NCL by any means. They do some things great and totally fail in other areas.

I did get tired of the whining on my recent cruise. I was not thrilled with my experience but did not feel the need to share it with everyone I met. It seems like every line, every tender ride, elevators, sitting around the deck, a lot of people had complaints. I wanted this to be a great vacation, and was trying to be encouraging to my family, so held back on chiming in.

This happened to us on our other NCL cruise and actually people on the beaches we meet on NCL have griped alot.

I REALLY think people are unprepared for the experience on NCL. I know my first time I expected it to be just like my X cruises--how many times on the boards here do people claim all the lines are the same? Anyone who says otherwise is ridiculed.

People need to know the truth. NCL offers a lesser quality product that often comes with a lower price. Service and food are not the same. If people are good with that, let them go. But they deserve to know the truth. Let them make an informed choice. Many will sail another line and your whining problem will be gone. Misleading them disappoints them and you get whining as the result of their unhapppiness.

My DH laughs at the comparison to Applebees or Dennys. We only wish NCL could be that good. I would rank it with K-Mart, Motel 6, and hospital food. Not at all what people dream of in a vacation. It is obvious many, many agree. So we all get to hear them whine.

And our experience with Blue Lagoon was very slow, too. It took over an hour and a half for appetizer and entree. We left without getting the desert we ordered and still missed the show. Another time we ordered at lunch time, and by the time they finally got around to dessert, they told us we could not have what we had already ordered from the lunch menu because lunch was over. Our orders were messed up every time we ate there too--wrong salad dressings, I asked to hold my fries and no one got fries, all ordered tea and one got tea, getting different than what was ordered, and not getting food at all.

I think when people say the food was bad, the slow and incompetent service falls into that category. It should not be so difficult to get a decent meal.

Pretty sad when you go on a cruise and the some of the best food you can find is the grilled cheese or peanut butter and jelly from room service. But then they come with the oft mentioned stale, broken potato chips:(.

I think people will whine as long as NCL is run as a substandard, less than mediocre line. I don't blame them and understand their disappointment in wasted time and money.

...and, and all those happy people, I can't stand it!!! I hope there aren't happy people on the Dawn next week telling me how perfect their cruise is!

Oh wait, I never had a bad cruise. I've had a couple of bad dishes and a poor staff person, or slow service on occasion, and I was shorted 1/25th of an ounce on a martini on the Star, but I've loved every cruise I've been on, all 8 of them.

Can't wait til Saturday!

And our experience with Blue Lagoon was very slow, too. It took over an hour and a half for appetizer and entree. We left without getting the desert we ordered and still missed the show. Another time we ordered at lunch time, and by the time they finally got around to dessert, they told us we could not have what we had already ordered from the lunch menu because lunch was over. Our orders were messed up every time we ate there too--wrong salad dressings, I asked to hold my fries and no one got fries, all ordered tea and one got tea, getting different than what was ordered, and not getting food at all.

I think when people say the food was bad, the slow and incompetent service falls into that category. It should not be so difficult to get a decent meal.

Pretty sad when you go on a cruise and the some of the best food you can find is the grilled cheese or peanut butter and jelly from room service. But then they come with the oft mentioned stale, broken potato chips:(.

I think people will whine as long as NCL is run as a substandard, less than mediocre line. I don't blame them and understand their disappointment in wasted time and money.

Got to love your post. I too have been disappointed at Blue Lagoon. I remember one time when our entree arrived before our appetizer.:D

Just hate not getting dessert on time. Like dessert is the most important part of my meal on a ship. I hate to go hungry because a waiter was late with dessert.:D

And I really hate standing in line at lunch time to eat in a diner venue on a cruise ship. The long lines, the wait to be seated and served. How dare they call NCL a cruise ship while other, more expensive cruiselines who have much better standards for ``all inclusive'' charge for specialty coffee drinks in the dining room like cappucino and expresso and charge for real, dipped ice cream at only certain times of the day.

I'd much rather cruise one of the higher end cruiselines that charge for what NCL gives out free so I can ooh and aaw at at what that cruiseline is giving me ``free.''

Dianne

I am not a cheerleader for NCL by any means. They do some things great and totally fail in other areas.

I did get tired of the whining on my recent cruise. I was not thrilled with my experience but did not feel the need to share it with everyone I met. It seems like every line, every tender ride, elevators, sitting around the deck, a lot of people had complaints. I wanted this to be a great vacation, and was trying to be encouraging to my family, so held back on chiming in.

This happened to us on our other NCL cruise and actually people on the beaches we meet on NCL have griped alot.

I REALLY think people are unprepared for the experience on NCL. I know my first time I expected it to be just like my X cruises--how many times on the boards here do people claim all the lines are the same? Anyone who says otherwise is ridiculed.

People need to know the truth. NCL offers a lesser quality product that often comes with a lower price. Service and food are not the same. If people are good with that, let them go. But they deserve to know the truth. Let them make an informed choice. Many will sail another line and your whining problem will be gone. Misleading them disappoints them and you get whining as the result of their unhapppiness.

My DH laughs at the comparison to Applebees or Dennys. We only wish NCL could be that good. I would rank it with K-Mart, Motel 6, and hospital food. Not at all what people dream of in a vacation. It is obvious many, many agree. So we all get to hear them whine.

you certainly have a right to your opinion, but I bet you fall into the group that does your share of complaining. Do you know, many cruisers prefer NCL to X for instance? You are totally generalizing and no, NCL especially the newer ships and the menu changes since 2.0 are not in the catagory of motel 6 or K-Mart. That is rediculous.

As a frequent cruiser and TA, yes, most mass marketed lines are more alike than different. Some have slightly better food, some slightly larger cabins or a little better entertainment, but in todays world they are very different. Each has a niche, each line attracts a little different type of cruiser but they are alike. We have cruised Celebrity 3 times, had a wonderful experience, a good one and a lousy one (though no cruise is lousy) We have had good and bad NCL cruises, same with Princess and RCI.

I am sure if many shared your view and attitude, as a TA I would hear a lot more complaints, I don't...

Nita

Perfect example....:)

Archived