Never Been on the Oostradam

BeansoBob

I am going on a 12 day Med cruise this summer and was wondering what type of entertianment is going on around the ship while at sea. Email me at bas52575@yahoo.com and let me know.

countdown.pl?name=&date=5-19-2009&image=canada&text=&ship=Oosterdam

Hi DH and I will be on the same cruise with you. I have no idea what type of entertainment will be on board during that time. Please join our roll call thread for May 19th.

Regards,

Arlene

Hello

Well anyone that has been on this cruise know what the weather is like? I am wondering, because HAL's website give guesses. I wanted to hopefully find out so that I know how to pack.

Weather forecasts more than three days in advance are an "educated guess". Sometimes I wonder if they bother to look out the window at current conditions:eek:.

All anyone can do is look at a history of past trends. Any specific predictions are as safe as your 401-K.

We just got off the Oosterdam last Saturday:(. Here's a run down of the entertainment we had:

- Two Vegas style song and dance shows.

- Comedian

- Magician

(The comedian and magician did one show each plus a combined show)

- Seasharp: Ballroom dance band

- Adagio Strings: Classical quartet

- HALcats: top 40 oldies

- Piano Bar: sing-a-long popular tunes

- Pianist: contemporary and classical

(These played at various venues in the evening)

- HAL Idol - Passenger Karaoke contest based on American Idol concept

- Bingo

- Various "game show" participation events

- Various sports and pool game events during the day

- Culinary classes

There is bound to be something going on that you'll enjoy on the sea days (besides lazing in a lounge chair with a book or strolling the promenade deck, which is what we mostly did).

• 4 months later...

Hello

Well, I had a blast. The weather was awsome and by the time I got back to the States the worst weather was on approach into LAX. I was able to deal with the humidity throughout. Well on about my experiences. For starters, the food was good in the dinning room. However, up in Lido it had its ups and downs. Sometimes the food in Lido either was cold or didn't taste that good. They never seemed prepared for crowds. One time my familyl and I got back to the ship right after a majority of excursions did and there was slow service and almost no seating. The drink situation there seemed quite annoying. In Lido, we would go either during meals or even late at night and they would either be out of something. Along with that it seemeed like the staff wanted to "control" what was going on up there with helpfulness but no trays to actually carry food to your table.

The dinning staff we had were wonderful. My family wanted a different table and the Mtride was willing to change it to a nearby one that our waiter ha. Him and his assistant Coma I believe were awsome. Dilligent helpful and by the second day seemed to get to nnotice us by name. At the crew show even came by and gave us a hug thanking us for comming.

In Rome, I was glad that we had a private tour because we were able to get a lot closer without walking. The ship tour made them walk atleast a mile. It ran us about 500 Euro, but in the end it was weal worthit. This price was for a group of seven. The vans are comfortable and we were able to go in one group. We got to see all the cool stuff and even had a great tourguide that helped explain the art at the Vatican for people that are not art lovers and make it interesting. We utilized these same people in Livorno and saw the most amazing little city. Ohh for those who are wondering who these people are here is their web address: http://www.romeinlimo.com. They picked us up ship side instead of making us go to the outside of the dock.

We are use to activities daily. On this cruise there were very little atleast free ones that really seemed wrong. On past cruises there were games and other types of onboard free activites thrhoughout the cruise. There were a few shows only six which included a "Were sorry" type one after people probably complained to the Cruise Director. He is good to get people going before the shows but other activittes nope.

The only other minor complaint I had was the fact that the housekeeping staff seemed understaffed. It took untill late in the day sometime to get our cabin cleaned. Beyond all that for the basic cruise it was awsome and would enjoy it again. If anyone wants to contact me with questions bas52575@yahoo.com.

Hello

Well anyone that has been on this cruise know what the weather is like? I am wondering, because HAL's website give guesses. I wanted to hopefully find out so that I know how to pack.

Hold on. You tell us that you are taking a 12 day cruise in the Med sometime "this summer" and want somebody to tell you EXACTLY what the weather will be like during that unspecified 12 day period?????

And you tell us that HAL's website is only giving guesses as to what it will be.

Do you really think that somebody here will be able to tell you in advance exactly what the weather will be for the period of your unspecified cruise?

If they can, please give me their contact numbers. We are going to be millionaires very soon.

Hold on. You tell us that you are taking a 12 day cruise in the Med sometime "this summer" and want somebody to tell you EXACTLY what the weather will be like during that unspecified 12 day period?????

And you tell us that HAL's website is only giving guesses as to what it will be.

Do you really think that somebody here will be able to tell you in advance exactly what the weather will be for the period of your unspecified cruise?

If they can, please give me their contact numbers. We are going to be millionaires very soon.

We were on this same cruise and the weather was very hot in Venice, Croatia, Greece and two of the Italy ports. The last two days in Italy and in Barcelona it was a little cooler. I did say to my husband a few times that I can imagine how hot it would be in the summer and I was glad we went in May.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Arlene

We just got off the Oosterdam last Saturday:(. Here's a run down of the entertainment we had:

- Two Vegas style song and dance shows.

- Comedian

- Magician

(The comedian and magician did one show each plus a combined show)

- Seasharp: Ballroom dance band

- Adagio Strings: Classical quartet

- HALcats: top 40 oldies

- Piano Bar: sing-a-long popular tunes

- Pianist: contemporary and classical

(These played at various venues in the evening)

- HAL Idol - Passenger Karaoke contest based on American Idol concept

- Bingo

- Various "game show" participation events

- Various sports and pool game events during the day

- Culinary classes

There is bound to be something going on that you'll enjoy on the sea days.

Sometimes I think my wife and I are the only ones who were raised and still enjoy Rock n' Roll. Joel Mason is the only music entertainment we have enjoyed on HAL thus far. Oh well, maybe someday soon we will find others on HAL that enjoy the same music as we do and then possibly HAL will book some band we can rock to:D

John

Hello

From semi-(sometimes)reliable sources:

Day 1 - Hot

Day 2 - Hot

Day 3 - Hotter

Day 4 - Africa hot - Tarzan wouldn't like this heat

Day 5 - Hot

Day 6 - Slightly hotter

Day 7 - Dayum, it's hot

Day 8 - Still hot

Day 9 - Hot

Day 10 - Can it get any hotter?

Day 11 - Yup, still hot

Day 12 - Hot but getting off the Oosterdam - it's hot on shore also

From semi-(sometimes)reliable sources:

Day 1 - Hot

Day 2 - Hot

Day 3 - Hotter

Day 4 - Africa hot - Tarzan wouldn't like this heat

Day 5 - Hot

Day 6 - Slightly hotter

Day 7 - Dayum, it's hot

Day 8 - Still hot

Day 9 - Hot

Day 10 - Can it get any hotter?

Day 11 - Yup, still hot

Day 12 - Hot but getting off the Oosterdam - it's hot on shore also

My reliable source has confirmed your forecast is correct John;)

Archived