Windstar Excursions

tomstur

I did book some of our tours via Windstar. But I'm not sure we want to do any of the listed tours in Quepos, Costa Rica. Was leaning toward a horseback ride to the waterfalls, but having second thoughts that there are better things to do in Quepos.

nicaragua is a worthwhile trip.the volcano is amazing.

i don't remember which horseback ride we took but it was absolutely wonderful and ended with a swim at a deserted beach.

we used only the windstar excursions for this cruise and didn't regret a single choice. if memory serves me correctly almost every stop was with tenders.

tip-put your camera in a ziplocked bag. a wave hit us as we disembarked and the camera was ruined.

• 2 weeks later...

worked on this ship in 2006/2007.

horse ride on beach is awesome, better than the "other" horse tour offered a few days before the beach one. (can't remember where - oh - it was in Quepos... ... it was through a "rainforest" and passing lots of agriculture and local vegetation.... then alongside a creek and on to a waterfall.... but the waterfalls were dry because dec/jan/feb is the dry season.....)

on the beach, my horse loved to run and so did i so it was a blast. if you enjoy horseback riding, this is a ton of fun.

Quepos = not a very "pretty" or "active" town until dinner hour, so, if you can find a tour you might like, do that instead.

During this itinerary there is an additional staff member on board (in addition to the host and hostess) - and that is the Costa Rican Naturalist - when i was there it was Carlos - and he gives the most excellent presentation on the 1st or 2nd day, explaining each tour. The ATV was a sell-out in about 12 hours. take that if it so inclines you.

use caution taking non-ship tours in almost 3-rd world countries; remember that any danger, loss, or problem is YOUR responsibility, not the ships, although while on a ship's tour, all problems become the ship's problem. i.e. use caution, choose wisely, and choose smartly for what you are going to be doing. There were some stories from when i was there, and not all of them were positive.

just trying to be truthful.

Does Windstar offer any additional excursions once you board than what they list on the website? I know from past experience this is common on the larger cruiselines. Interested in Costa Rica to be specific.

regarding your specific question, the tour booklet is printed the day before you arrive, so if anything is added, the Costa rica naturalist would know, seek him out right away.... we had a few times the opportunity to add something, either another tour or an extra bus due to demand... or due to some other factor. It is possible. And I don't recall that too many tours were sold out the first day, just be sure you get to that presentation and get to ask the naturalist about added tours... and get in your tour order as soon as you choose.

Thank you so much for the info. You have been most helpful. We have already booked our tours with Windstar for every day except Quespos. Will do that very soon. The description on the horseback tour mentions rain forest & waterfall, but no beach. You feel certain this is the one you speak of? If you have any other onboard or land tips, they are also very welcomed and appreciated.

there is horse riding through rain forest and passing by waterfalls = Quepos.

there is horse riding along the beach forest and then down to a private beach (lovely) and this is in Bahia Paraiso or what they call Marenco, unless they've decided not to offer it anymore.

I've done both and much prefer the 2nd one. the Quepos one is simply guided thorugh a rain forest, but nothing like a rain forest in puerto rico or other wet areas, in fact winter is the dry season. if you don't mind being guided around and you dont mind if the waterfall is dried up, go for it. if you want beauty and a run on the beach and a trail the horses follow that is a bit ... heartpounding, take the 2nd one.

otherwise quepos is where people mostly go to manuel antonio and most come back having loved it.

if my memeory is right, Quepos is where the ATV tour is, take that it was the best ever. lots of fun.... a big dirty dusty RIOT of fun - if you like ATVs~!!

in the meantime i will look for some business cards or brochures for other things to do in quepos.

Hi cruising chics,

So, would you recommend the horseback ride over the hike in Corcocovado for the stop in Drake Bay? We have signed up for the hike but you have me rethinking our choice. We are also doing a tour of Manuel Antonio National Park. How similar would this be to the hike in Corcocovado? Thanks for your help.

ck

the hike in corcovado is an excellent choice simply for the fact that you will be able to see (as long as they are active) some really amazing wildlife.

the horse trail offers a totally different experience but you will see lots of parrots - i forget their specific name but they are all around.... we also saw a variety of monkeys (but oly a handful) then we also saw some Jesus-walking-lizards - i know that's not the name but they walk on water.

I would recommend the horses if you said you weren't "hike people".... as the hike makes for a long day... or if you have only one or two previous horse rides and liked it, it's a good option for horse-enjoyers, it's just not as spectacular as a horse ride in a *real* rainforest, as you can imagine, but it's definitely more interesting than any other simple horse trail that you may have had before...

Choosing between the two? I would go with what makes you react with more wonder, after you have read all the tips.

Be sure you attend the tour presentation. Don't miss it because Carlos gives great *insider* info. He's from Costa Rica.

Corcovado is where you'll see a ton of other tree/wild life. When you go on the hike, STAY NEAR the guide so you can hear him/her. The thing about Corcovado is the number of entrants per day is strictly limited. We had some challenges getting increased amounts to go in and those who didn't book ahead were disapointed.

Manuel antonio is a sort of wilderness *theme* park not theme park in the sense that we know, but more like a wilderness park.... but it's hugely popular - i think it's the #1 place to visit in costa rica - but don't misunderstand me and think that it overcrowded with tourists like a zoo... not hardly..... they also restrict the # of visitors each day..... the wildlife is the same as from Corcovado.

Isn't there a boat excursion somewhere? I think in Quepos, there is a river or raft ride, it was REALLY good, and we saw a LOT of wildlife... so here's a shout-out to *ck* or *cj*..I think you were also seeking info for Quepos, consider this boat trip....

Thank you so much for the info. You have been most helpful. We have already booked our tours with Windstar for every day except Quespos. Will do that very soon. The description on the horseback tour mentions rain forest & waterfall, but no beach. You feel certain this is the one you speak of? If you have any other onboard or land tips, they are also very welcomed and appreciated.

tomstur i think you asked me in another thread about things to do in Quepos and my suggestion is a river rafting trip ... I think you were considering staying on board....

This is an excellent option to see the wildlife from the boat's viewpoint, there is a guide on the boat, and it is truly a completely flat river, there is no "rafting" as we know it, you just have to be able to navigate a dirt-incline entrance to the boats... this was a great trip - everyone who went with me loved it.... just something to think about.

The Quepos tour is called Mangrove and River Boat Tour. Not sure this is what you call river rafting. Is it?

hi.................. sorry i haven't been here in a bit........ got distracted....... yes i was also just going thorugh my thousand's of photos on my laptop - - and that is indeed the Mangrove boat tour, it's VERY calm, not a rapids AT ALL, so if you want something "interesting and informative regarding Costa Rica" but not the ATV, and not the horsebackriding, the boat tour is a good choice.

Were there some other questions I owed you answers to, tomstur? I know where all my info is for Costa Rica and they are under the bed, but i have to pick *up* the bed to get to the boxes (it's an old bed) so if you can wait a week...... I'll get into my costa rica stuff....

In the meantime can anyone tell me if we are capable of posting a photo in these forums? or just links to websites? i want to include some Costa Rica photos..... thanks.

Thanks again for the info! From what I can tell from you knowledge of Windstar, all the tours are good! I don't think there is one you didn't speak highly of! We leave next Sat for our trip. I will let you know how it turns out. So ready for some good food, drinks, and scenery!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived