mexican pesos

ehogan

While you will generally have no problem spending US currency in Mexico, it is always considered as a sign of respect to use the host countries currency rather than your own. This is just as true in Mexico as it is in Canada, Europe or many other countries. If you were a small business owner in the United States, how readily would you accept Euro's (or Peso's for that matter) from a foreign visitor to complete a transaction. You would then have to spend time at your bank converting your Euro's over to US dollars to deposit in your business account. If you lived in a border town like San Diego, El Paso, Detroit, Buffalo, etc. it would be a little different. Same with Tijuana, Windsor, and others. Cabo, Maz, & PV are not border towns.

This is not meant to be negative, but Mexico is a sovereign nation just like the US and they have their own national currency just like we do. Think globally, not provincially.

I think in respect for Mexico you should carry about 1000 Pesos. I have heard too many people who feel they can use US dollars anywhere and then complain about the exchange rates. The same is true in Canada

The only time we really need pesos is to ride the local bus in Cabo and PV. And I know that in PV they'll take dollars, but at a much higher charge. If you're taking tours or shopping or riding in a cab, you won't need pesos. One problem lately is that they will use the "exchange" rate of 10 to the dollar, when it is 12-13 to the dollar.

And now for the "I ought to know this" question - where should I get these pesos, and about how much should I bring with me?

I recently moved to Los Angeles County, so it shouldn't be too terribly hard to get them, should it?

Thanks

Maddle

The only time we really need pesos is to ride the local bus in Cabo and PV. And I know that in PV they'll take dollars, but at a much higher charge. If you're taking tours or shopping or riding in a cab, you won't need pesos. One problem lately is that they will use the "exchange" rate of 10 to the dollar, when it is 12-13 to the dollar.

Exchange rate is now 1 USD = 13.8173 MXN

I was planning on getting pesos at an ATM in our first port (PV )and using that. We are also going to mazatlan and cabo. Anyone been there recently? Are most vendors still using 10 to 1 for the ease of calculation. That can add up..

For example, if a t-shirt marked $10 US or 100 pesos, that is a difference of close to $3.

Are prices in shops/ restaurants in the tourist areas marked in pesos, US dollars, or both? If so, does the exchange rate vary a lot by shop?

Thanks..

And now for the "I ought to know this" question - where should I get these pesos, and about how much should I bring with me?

I recently moved to Los Angeles County, so it shouldn't be too terribly hard to get them, should it?

Thanks

Maddle

Wells Fargo for one. Bank Of America for another. Check for their fee structure to make sure you are still getting a reasonable exchange rate. Money.com will give you up to date exchange rates. Throw in the banks fees (if any) to see what you are actually getting. Or use an ATM when you get to Mexico (again, check your banks fees).

Thanks

Maddle

We always wait to we are there and just use our Debit cards at an ATM or bank :)

Your bank will be able to exchange them for you-just give them a few days. Wells Fargo charges no fee- just the Fedex delivery fee of $7.00. Being in LA they may just have the Pesos handy-unlike Idaho:D since you are so close to the border. Good luck- have fun!

Thanks

Maddle

I find a local bank in town that is affiliated with my US bank and use their ATM. My bank does not charge me a fee if they are affiliated.

Gary

we never change to pesos, I usually convert to 10/1 which gives them an advantage. If I buy something expensive, I credit card it

The current exchange rate is closer to 14/1 so use pesos if you want the best rate. Almost everyone is happy to accept US dollars though but depending on how much you are planning on spending, right now I would get pesos from an ATM. When the exhange was only 10/1, I always used US on our Cabo trips but not anymore!

Your bank will be able to exchange them for you-just give them a few days. Wells Fargo charges no fee- just the Fedex delivery fee of $7.00. Being in LA they may just have the Pesos handy-unlike Idaho:D since you are so close to the border. Good luck- have fun!

Same for BofA. The FedEx fee was like $6.75

The shop vendors were quite honest and a shirt for 100 pesos was quoted as being around $8, a soccer shirt was 250 pesos and said it would be around $20 - so we used our credit card and was charged 350 pesos which converted to less than $27 dollars.

Archived