Aft cabins on RCL Freedom class ships

Jenbo57

Could someone explain the strange architecture of the aft end of these ships for me! We're booked on Liberty of the Seas for a December cruise, and have #8412. It sounded like a great idea at first, but now that I look at photographs/deck plans, I'm not so sure. Am I further back off of the water than I want to be, and does that weird white "railing" (for lack of a better word) obstruct our view?

535075313_8f559f984b.jpg?v=0

Thanks for your opinions/advice! :D

Here is a whole album for aft cabins for the class of ship.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

the balcony is huge- we had two lounge chairs - two reg chairs plus a small table and enough room to host our cruise critic get together.

I would stay back here again in a heartbeat. On deck 6 is a deck outside the balcony railing- I would not be booking a cabin on deck 6. We had deck8 and it was perfect.

535075313_8f559f984b.jpg?v=0

Could someone explain the strange architecture of the aft end of these ships for me! We're booked on Liberty of the Seas for a December cruise, and have #8412. It sounded like a great idea at first, but now that I look at photographs/deck plans, I'm not so sure. Am I further back off of the water than I want to be, and does that weird white "railing" (for lack of a better word) obstruct our view?

Thanks for your opinions/advice! :D

Why it is there? I don't know. I am not a marine architect. Does it block your view? Yes. The following photos were taken from deck seven on the Freedom of the Seas (a sister ship) ...

IMG_1998.jpg

Viewaft.jpg

1scgi-IMG_7478.jpg

Although I am an aft balcony fan, I would not suggest it for the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

when you compare a very narrow side balcony vs the steel structure of the aft---

why would you take a side one vs the aft? especially if you spend a considerable amount of time out there?

when you compare a very narrow side balcony vs the steel structure of the aft---

why would you take a side one vs the aft? especially if you spend a considerable amount of time out there?

For the unobstructed view.

Thanks, Cuizer2 for the photos...they convinced me to move to a balcony cabin on deck 9, port side! I'm with you...it's all about an unobstructed view!

This is one of those "different strokes" things; watching the wake really doesn't do a thing for me! Cruising Alaska might be nice for an aft cabin, since you're constantly surrounded by amazing scenery, but I'm fine with one on either side (although I always seen to prefer port)! ;)

Thanks everyone!

Jenbo, what camera did you use? Your pics are terrific and we are in the market for a new camera.

Thanks!

The shot in Cabo was taken with my trusty back up camera...a Canon Powershot A530. (I take that one everywhere, and it's the one I use underwater, in an AquaPac.)

Alaska was a Panasonic DMC-FZ7. I LOVED that camera, but ultimately decided it was bigger than I wanted to haul around on trips with me, so I gave it to my brother (lucky him!).

I took the picture in Miami with my current camera, a Sony CyberShot DSC-H3. It's been a great little camera so far, and the best part about it is that I got it on close-out at Wal-Mart for $149 while Best Buy, Target, etc. were still carrying it for $300. Woo-hoo, gotta love a good deal! :D

Thanks, Jenbo. We used to carry monsters with multiple lenses. Thank goodness those days are long gone. My DH bought a new camera in '01 and another in '04 but they have not performed well at all. He took some shots at the Sugar Bowl and they were awfully grainy and not worth keeping. Both of our sons have decided in the last week to get married and we definitely want a really good camera.

I will pass your recs along.

Archived