Booking through discount websites

carnival lover

Hi. Has anyone ever used discount websites to book a cruise? I was looking at a specific site (I don't know if I can mention which one), and they had a better military rate than if I book through a Carnival PVP.

My question is will I get all of the same Carnival boarding passes and docs? Are there any drawbacks to booking through someone else?

Thanks!

Carnival Lover

Hi. Has anyone ever used discount websites to book a cruise? I was looking at a specific site (I don't know if I can mention which one), and they had a better military rate than if I book through a Carnival PVP.

My question is will I get all of the same Carnival boarding passes and docs? Are there any drawbacks to booking through someone else?

Thanks!

Carnival Lover

Yes I did, and although things ultimately worked out, there were a few headaches along the way. I called about getting an upgrade (not for free, but one I would pay for) and no one called me back. I called again and they put me on hold FOREVER (they had to call Carnival about every little thing because their computer system did not reflect everything in Carnivals system) and after much back and forth, I was able to purchase the upgrade.

In the future if I got an exceptional deal, I would do it again but this time I would make sure I knew exactly what room I wanted and leave it at that.

I think the discount places are basically clearing houses for cabins and not traditional travel agencys .....you know, with someone who is committed to helping you with all aspects of your trip. Basically you book your room through them and that's it. And yes, you still get your documents, either by mail or electronically.

I don't know for certain, I'm very inexperienced in these matters, but I feel fairly certain that the reason you get a better price from an internet site was because they were willing to eat some of their commission, not because they were able to offer you a better military rate than a Carnival PVP. Both the internet TA and Carnival PVP should be able to offer you exactly the same discounts for past guest or military or whatever, but the internet site can then ALSO forego some of their commission, which I believe a PVP cannot do.

I don't know for certain, I'm very inexperienced in these matters, but I feel fairly certain that the reason you get a better price from an internet site was because they were willing to eat some of their commission, not because they were able to offer you a better military rate than a Carnival PVP. Both the internet TA and Carnival PVP should be able to offer you exactly the same discounts for past guest or military or whatever, but the internet site can then ALSO forego some of their commission, which I believe a PVP cannot do.

Yes, good point!

Archived