Internet on Voyager

MelindaF

When we were on the Voyager a year ago the internet service was slower than slow. Has it improved? If not, any suggestions? Any internet cafe places close to where ship docks? Hopefully it has gotten better!

If you are on your own computer it's a little faster. Some of the band width has been moved from crew and offices to the passenger side and wifi works faster now - a lot faster than the computers on board but by any standard other than dial up it is still pretty slow. It took me between 3 and 5 minutes to log on, down load email, and log off. I wrote answers off line and it took about the same amount of time to log on and send. I stayed off CC except for a few quick checks of 5-10 minutes each. :)

When we were on the Voyager a year ago the internet service was slower than slow. Has it improved? If not, any suggestions? Any internet cafe places close to where ship docks? Hopefully it has gotten better!

Which iternary are you doing? I have yet to see any port that doesnt have a internet cafe within walking distance of the port, but prices can range from $1 to $6 an hour but they are good connections compared to the ship.

Cozumel, walk toward town about 1/2 mile or so on the first street you come to and there is one across the street from the ocean side of the street. It ran $2 an hour I think, but it could have been $3. In town the one by the square was only $1 an hour.

We were on the Voyager Transatlantic in November. The Internet was very slow in fact we were unable to log on to our e mail for five of the sea days from Las Palmas. we finally gave up.

I do not know if passengers that had their own lap tops fared any better one of our table mates said he could not log on at all { lap top}

I would not plan on using the ships Internet there are always cheaper and faster ones in ports.

We were also on the TA and I can say for sure that was the worst ever internet service on a cruise. Just about everyone who tried to use it had problems. Every time we went to the Guest Relations there was someone complaining about their internet charges. We gave up and waited until Nassau where we used an internet cafe and then in South Beach Miami we went into the Apple store and there were the latest PC's just waiting for us to use FREE OF CHARGE and no time limit. A young man helped use one and was taking our pictures and sending them back home to the UK to the family - what a difference to the Voyager! and yes, I do know they were selling computers but not to us.

This is a very important issue for me as we run a web development firm. Luckily my sister will be running the company that week. I sure hate to think I'm going to have to get off at every port with my laptop. Are there internet cafes close by to go back on the ship and then off again? We are going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Gary

The thing to remember with ship's internet is it is reliant on the satellite - and has limited bandwith. Especially on cruises like a TA or a Transpacific cruise, there is a very good likelihood that you might be without internet access for at least part of the cruise, and when you do have internet access even at it's fastest it won't be as fast as DSL or cable internet. So making plans that are reliant on ship's internet service is not a good idea.

Meansun, you may want to ask on the specific port of call boards. Also, once you get on the ship ask your waiter if they have any recommendations for internet cafes in ports - frequently they will know the best and least expensive options.

Thank you for all your responses. Guess I will just have to tell myself not to expect a 'fast' connection. Think I was expecting that on our last cruise and it just never happened! I think I will look for internet cafes in each port of call.

We are going to: Cozumel, George Town, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Meansun, you may want to ask on the specific port of call boards. Also, once you get on the ship ask your waiter if they have any recommendations for internet cafes in ports - frequently they will know the best and least expensive options.

Great Idea! We usually just check it on the ship. Last Feb, the Liberty's was plenty fast enough. If an emergency happens and I have to upload a file to the web, it could take a long time a slow, dial-up type modem.

Thanks for the idea.

If you are on your own computer it's a little faster. Some of the band width has been moved from crew and offices to the passenger side and wifi works faster now - a lot faster than the computers on board but by any standard other than dial up it is still pretty slow. It took me between 3 and 5 minutes to log on, down load email, and log off. I wrote answers off line and it took about the same amount of time to log on and send. I stayed off CC except for a few quick checks of 5-10 minutes each. :)

Was on last week - and ugh...it was so painfully slow (not all the time, but it was more consistently slow)....read what I needed to and hopped off. Probably was not as slow as the TA posters though, but it was substantially slower than our Canal/SA Cruise in November on the Radiance - had exceptional connection service on that cruise...

Also found some machines faster than others and also some did not log off the previous individuals email account at log off, so when I got on gmail it pulled up their account automatically...that could be somewhat problematic if security is an issue...

Great Idea! We usually just check it on the ship. Last Feb, the Liberty's was plenty fast enough. If an emergency happens and I have to upload a file to the web, it could take a long time a slow, dial-up type modem.

Thanks for the idea.

Hope it works for you. There is always someone that will come on and say just leave the computer at home, blah, blah, blah. But I know that for some jobs that is not an option. You are smart to research all options in advance so you can do the things you need to do and get back to your vacation quickly.

Archived