Maasdam Mechanical Problems

yoleven

Granted, air conditioning is not an excessive desire, but when things go wrong, there was no call for the conversation reported above. So the Captain did not acknowledge the air conditioning problem. This 'demand' only shows the poster's narcissism. Sometimes, you just have to go with the flow.

No, you don't. When a basic service is both not delivered nor acknowledged, "going with the flow" is simply acquiescing in the decline in service. I'm not suggesting that berating a clerk or steward is ever acceptable, but a note to the Hotel Manager is certainly in order.

-dave

Which Orcrone is speaking...Mr. or Mrs.?

Re-read the quote attributed to another passenger. I would say that 'excessive self-admiration and self-centeredness' applies. A paraphrase of the quote is "I want my way right now!"

Of course, this is only an observation. What do I know?

Perhaps if many of us 'ugly Americans' would learn to calm down a bit, and accept the fact that a ship IS a mechanical creature, then maybe the ills on board would be corrected in a better, and more civilized fashion.....

Look at it this way, we have it way better off than our counterparts who sailed the Atlantic in the 1st part of the 19th century.

And our plumbing is better than that in the 16th century - but I would still object to raw sewage backing up into my cabin!

Things do go wrong, Things break. But service personnel are supposed to be there to fix them. When they aren't, we are allowed to voice our displeasure.

-dave

Peaches, Having a favorite ship, I think, depends a lot on what type of experiences you have on that particular ship. That being said, I still think the Rotterdam is my all time favorite, with the Volendam, Zaandam and Veendam bringing up the rest of my favorites. Haven`t tried a Vista class yet, but I know you enjoyed the Oosterdam last Dec. and I think I would like to try the westerdam. Waiting for friends who will cruise the Wester. to return and tell me all about it.....jean :cool:

Thanks, jean. The Rotterdam is also our all time favorite ship, HAL or otherwise. We did enjoy our Oosterdam b2b, but that is because we enjoy every cruise, some more than others.

We have absolutely NO plans for another Vista ship cruise. There was just way too much we didn't like about the Oo. Also have no present plans for another 7 day HAL Caribbean cruise, even another b2b. Two 7 days are not the same as a 14 day, but never say never. For a 7 day Caribbean cruise I think we will try another cruiseline the next time.

Right now we are looking forward to a 10 day Volendam and 14 day Veendam! ;)

Which Orcrone is speaking...Mr. or Mrs.?

Re-read the quote attributed to another passenger. I would say that 'excessive self-admiration and self-centeredness' applies. A paraphrase of the quote is "I want my way right now!"

Of course, this is only an observation. What do I know?

Mr. Orcrone - for what it's worth. DW does not frequent these boards (actually does not frequent the computer all that much).

I thought your comment was regarding the poster, and not the person the poster overheard. However, after directly hearing the spewing of excuses by the front office and the 'claims' by maintenance that the problem was fixed when they had not done anything, I can understand the frustration that these people were feeling.

Keep in mind that this person did not just have a problem pop up, and demanded it be fixed immediately. By now this person had brought this problem up numerous times without resolution, just excuses and lies.

From reading all the various posts this past week concerning the Maasdam it does sound like the ship should either be sold or taken out of service for awhile and completely everhaul her. Of course I realize that overhauling a ships takes a few months and HAL would lose money on her, but at the rate things are going and with all the complaints, HAL may end up losing money on through refunds or future ship vouchers if enough people complain.

Iluvcruisin--It's pretty obvious you just didn't like the way the folks your described lived. You didn't like anything about their choices because they were not your choices. [This is not to condone their actions.]

Not that I didn't like how they lived... I didn't like the screaming and hollaring that occurred daily outside my cabin door that I had to listen to. I'm a non-smoker and would appreciate being able to open the cabin door and walk down what I thought was a public non-smoking hallway without someone blowing smoke in my face (they actually smoked in the hallway as well as leaving the door open). I don't care if they smoke, cuss, scream, have fussy babies.. Those considerate of others would keep it in their their cabins. To note - by the time I complained (which I didn't demand anything, I asked for assistance), the neptune lounge staff and the front staff had a long list of complaints against these people. It was only after 2 days after the request that my daughter and I had enough and I said something on the way to dinner. So really it had nothing to do with their lifestyle.. it was about the experience. (I wasn't relating Vic's post to this situation.. just talking about what obnoxious people I ran into).

It sounds like almost all cabins midship/Neptune Lounge area are affected, particularly on port side. There must be one central switch or connection that affects the a/c in a large bloc of suites- like when the electricity goes out for all of one section of your neighborhood and not anywhere else. One repair part fixes it for all, finfing what to fix is the problem. :eek:

These a/c problems on Maasdam are not brand new. As I mentioned, we experienced it last November and have heard of some people having problems on previous cruises but our a/c was fine. on all cruises except that one.

BTW.....we ALWAYS take a mid-ship port side Suite. We have been in every one of the "S" between numbers 018 and 028 more times than I remember.

lknick-

Wow....I am narcissistic because the captain did not acknowlege the lack of air conditioning for 7 days? That does not even make sense. Thanks Marc for your input. I am not some crazy, out of control tourist with unrealistic expectations. I have had 12 other lovely cruises on HAL and was so happy we had booked this 13th one.

I do realize that mechanical problems do happen, but for the front desk to lie to us for 8 days that there was "no problem" is what irritated us. Mechanics aside....it is the lack of customer service that concerns me.

I see you live in Florida "lknick". Picture this cruise.....you arrive at your category "S" suite on day one. You find that the thermostat is stuck at 32 degrees, you cannot open your sliding door to get any heat and no blankets will be provided to you to keep warm. You ask for help for 10 days and the front desk keeps telling you there have been no problems reported by the ship's engineer so there is not a problem. Would this upset you? Would you feel ok withthe premium price you had paid for this suite? You have to admit you would be mighty uncomfortable with this situation. You have gone for rest and relaxation and for most of the 10 days you are miserable from the cold. This is what all these cabins went through for 7 of the 10 days with stifling heat.

For me? never again on the Maasdam, it should be going where the Noordam is going.....jean :cool:

I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the Noordam - no problems with A/C, other than the Piet Hein & Silver Bar being cold/cool in the early evening, but as the staff explained, once you get a hundred people or so in there dancing, it has a tendency to become too warm. Everything seemed to be in good order.

When we were on the Maasdam last April, the dry cleaning machine was also broken the entire voyage... many of the elevators were out of service for the entire cruise, and we also heard the complaints of non existent A/C in some of the Suites - this was 7 months ago!

Hmmm, makes you wonder how long it takes to fix something, doesn't it? If these are ongoing problems, they should be addressed and fixed immediately - why bring on group after group of pax only to have them unsatisfied and unhappy?

Maureen-

I know of the family and nanny you are speaking of. They literally took over the Neptune Lounge every day. Poor D.J. had to clean up after their children and food all over the floor. They took over that big table in there like it was their personal domain. They were very demanding and obnoxious. It affected that entire deck with their yelling and pot smoking. Our traveling companions were on that side and said it was just awful.

Mary

Did anyone report the pot smoking to ships security? I'm just curious because I would have. Before I get blasted for not approving of someone else's "lifestyle" - unless I am missing something, it is against the law.

I also would not want myself nor my family subjected to it. Apparently these folks didn't realize they could be arrested for it?

Yes, the folks in cabin 041 reported the pot spoking along with a lady un 019 I believe and they were told there was nothing they could do to stop them from smoking pot while on board. Something to do with being on the high seas and no jurisdiction.

[quote name='jmvt']They took over that big table in there like it was their personal domain. They were very demanding and obnoxious. It affected that entire deck with their yelling and pot smoking.[/QUOTE]That's ridiculous! Surely HAL is not so hard up for operating capital that they wouldn't put the whole lot of them off at the next port of call.

We were [I]very[/I] disappointed on the Maasdam that there is nothing done about behavior that clearly is way out of line and makes the enjoyment of that area of the ship impossible for the rest of the pax.

There was a large family group in suites on the Maasdam our week and the Neptune Lounge was a disaster all of the time they were in there, which was often. A screaming brat about 6 or 7 was running around with the remote for the food dome, raising it up and down, up and down, until there was definetely the chance of damage. The rest of this family took over the whole lounge, feet up on the tables, loud conversation, tv blaring, etc.

The concierge just sat there day after day and said nothing. I thought the least she could have done is keep this kid from getting his hands on the remote, so that other suite guests might be able to enjoy the food while these idiots were in there.

I just don't understand HAL's very shortsighted policy- fear of making one very small group angry, meanwhile the rest of the pax are fuming.

[quote name='ekerr19']Did anyone report the pot smoking to ships security? I'm just curious because I would have. Before I get blasted for not approving of someone else's "lifestyle" - unless I am missing something, it is against the law.

I also would not want myself nor my family subjected to it. Apparently these folks didn't realize they could be arrested for it?[/QUOTE]Yes, I as well as one of Mary's friends from the cabin next to them talked to the front desk and they dispatched them (it was me in 039). Security came up and listen to the complaints but could do nothing unless they saw it in the open and it was disrupting others. They said they would talk to them. We just had to take their word for it. I can say we didn't smell it again after that. As far as it being illegal, I don't believe it is on the open sea. I've been on other sailings where people do it outdoors (I have no problem with that as the wind can disapate it in matter of seconds). But to leave the cabin door open for the odor to float through the hallways.. it provided a stinky situation. :(

I cannot believe ships security would do nothing about the pot smoking... We had a problem with an underage drinker who was also a passenger tripping teen on the Zui and ships security told his family to shape him up or off the ship they all would go!

Peaches -

I am constantly amazed by this behavior too. It's almost as if people think a public place is a mere extension of their personal space. We had the same type of families with kids on the Zui - I am often surprised when I read most people aren't bothered by this type of behavior. If my children acted like this - well, I guess I'm not sure what I do to them! They know better, thankfully.

[quote name='iluvcruzin']Yes, I as well as one of Mary's friends from the cabin next to them talked to the front desk and they dispatched them (it was me in 039). Security came up and listen to the complaints but could do nothing unless they saw it in the open and it was disrupting others. They said they would talk to them. We just had to take their word for it. I can say we didn't smell it again after that. As far as it being illegal, I don't believe it is on the open sea. I've been on other sailings where people do it outdoors (I have no problem with that as the wind can disapate it in matter of seconds). But to leave the cabin door open for the odor to float through the hallways.. it provided a stinky situation. :([/QUOTE]

Maureen-

I was posting and didn't see your post... this sounds a bit more reasonable. I understand they (security) would have to observe or smell it - at least they talked to the offenders and hopefully it stopped. What a shame to have this happen period.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]From reading all the various posts this past week concerning the Maasdam it does sound like the ship should either be sold or taken out of service for awhile and completely everhaul her. [/color][/font][/b][/QUOTE]
I don't know about "overhaul". Reading what the Ryndam has been like since it came out of drydock - missing screws, sticking doors, A/C problems galore - the cure could be worse than the disease!

-dave

[b]I do not know the answers but questions I have re: the pot smoking are:[/b]

[b]Seeing as the ship is registered in Rotterdam, Holland;[/b]
[b]Seeing as pot smoking is legal in Holland;[/b]
[b]Is pot smoking legal upon this Dutch Registered ship while on the high seas. Probably would not be legal while docked in port but when on the seas??? Does HAL have to agree to abide by U.S. laws and to have pax abide by U.S. laws or turn them over to U.S. authorities at next U.S. port if they wish to continue to operate out of a U.S. homeport? Or because their corporate headquarters are in Seattle...in the U.S.?[/b]

[b]I have no clue the answers.[/b]

Archived