HAL & Westerdam INSIDER Tips - Do you have any?

chiapet

We've cruised quite a bit ... but we'll be doing our first HAL cruise in April. It seems that there are a few things that we were not aware of ... i.e. HAL's allowance of wine/champagne for in-cabin consumption.

Does anyone have any more info that would benefit us re: HAL or the Westerdam in particular? We would like to hear all of your "inside information" ;)

I know this is a pretty open-ended question ... but any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You're right! That's pretty open-ended.

I suggest that you peruse the threads, especially those about the Westerdam, and just read. It will give you a feel for the line, while still answering questions you didn't know you had.

-Dining room menu from room service during dining room hours

-wine and champagne can be brought on board

-don't miss the Crow's Nest/Explorations best view for morning coffee

-most balcony and outside rooms have "tubettes" in the bathroom

-

if you like juice later in the day make certain you grab a glass or two at breakfast in the Lido. After breakfast they charge you for juice. (it was either $2.25 or $2.75 for a SMALL juice glass...can't remember exact price). We usually just grab a glass on our way out of the Lido and put them in the cabin frig. for later. And HAL does have fresh squeezed OJ...yum!

Room service is wonderful in the late afternoon...especially if you tend to eat later. Order shrimp cocktail. If you like cheese and crackers with your wine in your cabin pre-dinner...suggest making a plate of cheese at breakfast in the Lido (and grab some rye crackers)...and put it in your cabin frig for later (I always take baggies for just such an occasion.) The cheese platter from room service is extremely small and they usually only provide soda crackers.

I suggest that you peruse the threads, especially those about the Westerdam, and just read.

I have read thru the threads and reviews ... but I still feel like there's still more info out there that I'm not aware of ;)

Koshlong & seaisme

THANK you for taking the time to share your insights

... BTW, do you tip for room service? ... some cruise lines have added a surcharge for room service (that includes the tip) ...

On a 19 day cruise on the Westerdam last year, we got coffee and often breakfast in our cabin. We always tipped for room service.

One morning it was our assistant Dining Room Steward who showed up, later that day he was helping people onto tenders, these guys work hard!

We found the inside temperature to be variable, often chilly, so be prepared by having layers of clothing inside.

Have a good voyage.

Write in "chocolate croissants" on the breakfast in-room order form. My DH loved them! It's not listed on the form, but we got 'em! ;) Read somewhere on these forums that it's a "HAL secret." Here's a photo:

chocolate croissants

I LOVE chocolate croissants! ... so does my DS! ... thanks for the "secret" ...

We've cruised quite a bit ... but we'll be doing our first HAL cruise in April. It seems that there are a few things that we were not aware of ... i.e. HAL's allowance of wine/champagne for in-cabin consumption.

Does anyone have any more info that would benefit us re: HAL or the Westerdam in particular? We would like to hear all of your "inside information" ;)

I know this is a pretty open-ended question ... but any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You can bring onboard unlimited amounts of wine/champagne. We brought 3 cases onboard (pre-ordered at Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale and picked up and brought onboard with us). You can bring a bottle to the MDR, but you are charged a $15 corkage fee. Well worth it when you consider you've got the wine of your choice and if you purchased at Total Wine, you got a great price.

In the afternoon, if you go up to the Library (it's now in the Crow's Nest Lounge), you can ask for (for free) any of their croissants or danish. You don't have to purchase a specialty coffee to get them (although their specialty coffees are very good and you can purchase a coffee card that saves you some money). Also, their library is probably the best I've seen on any ship, very extensive.

Enjoy...Westerdam is one of our favorite ships!

Frazfamof4; a tubette is a 4' long bathtub. Actually, I haven't measured it, but that's approximate. I'm 5'2", so it works fine for me, but a tall person looking forward to a loll in the tub is going to be a bit disappointed!

Actually, the term was stolen from a cruise director's joke.

At 6' and 300lbs, I'm going to refrain from making 'tubette' comments. :p

While it's not a 'HAL Insider Secret' - check the bread pudding daily in the Lido. There are some people who swear they sail on HAL just for the bread pudding. They often put out two flavors at once.

Order as many appetizers/entrees you like at dinner in the Dining Room.

Also check out the unusual ice cream flavors available at the ice cream station on the lido. In addition to the old standbys, they'll generally have at least one unique offering available. Where else will you find Clove ice cream? (It was yummy!) (oops. 302 lbs now... better get off the food)

Even on the larger (for HAL) Vista class ships, which the Westerdam is, you can often find an out of the way place almost any time of the day that sees little traffic.

Not sure if this is unique to HAL, but don't forget to go up on top of the Crow's Nest for an amazing view. Same for the public decks on the front of the ship. Some scenic cruising days they'll even put up awnings on the large deck at the bow. (Panama Canal - went through the locks with a Princess ship. They were green with envy!)

The wrap-around teak deck with real teak loungers..... on EVERY HAL ship and is not to be missed!

Another HAL perk - Free Iced Tea (Or dutch Pea Soup depending on season/itinerary) on the outer decks in the afternoon.

Terry-cloth washcloths and towels in public restrooms.

I could go on and on.... :o

• 2 weeks later...
One person mentioned they were able to bring 3 cases of wine on board. Is there anything you have to prearrange? Do they have to be consumed in the dining rooms or can we enjoy on our own balcony? Westerdam April 12th trip
Nothing has to be prearranged. If you take a bottle to the dining room, Pinnacle Grill, or a bar, expect to pay a $15 corkage ... which is sometimes "forgotten". But unless you're hosting an embarkation sail-away party, instead of taking on 3 cases at once, consider taking just enough to get you to the first port, and buying some local varieties from each port.

Thanks for the info. We've cruised on many Princess but haven't done Holland since 2001 so not sure if any of the policies have changed. We usually take a few to get us by and then do what you say and buy in various ports. Do you know if you can bring beer? My husband is very picky about his Indian Pale Ales and are not found on any cruises we've been on to date

Unfortunately he would have to "smuggle" the beer if he wants it. HAL in their elitist alcohol wisdom has deemed oenophiles to be deserving of bringing their poison on board while those of us with less refined palates who prefer our beer or liquor are denied the privelege.

Makes absolutely no sense to me, so one is left to smuggle if you prefer something that they don't carry on board or that you object to paying the premium for. Not interested in any harangues about the rightness or wrongness of that stance, it simply is what it is and each pax must make their own decision.

Another thing folks should be aware of and your wine steward or dining room staff may or may not inform you of, is that if your TA arranges to have wine in your stateroom as an appreciation for your business, if it is something that you don't care for you can exchange it for credit in the dining room although only for other wine. So if you don't care for red for instance, you can get the dollar value toward a bottle of white and can upgrade if you are prepared to pay the difference. Also (and we're not big wine drinkers) I believe you can arrange to leave partially consumed bottles in the dining room in the wine steward's care and finish them off on a subsequent evening.

Thanks for the info. We've cruised on many Princess but haven't done Holland since 2001 so not sure if any of the policies have changed. We usually take a few to get us by and then do what you say and buy in various ports. Do you know if you can bring beer? My husband is very picky about his Indian Pale Ales and are not found on any cruises we've been on to date

My DH is a hophead too and loves his IPAs ... and although HAL's official policy is that beer can NOT be brought onboard ... I have read on these boards recently that sometimes they are allowing it (as stated in their AT PIER info sheets) ... but I don't think he's going to risk it b/c I'd hate to see him throw away perfectly good (not cheap) beer if he can't :p

... I have read on these boards recently that sometimes they are allowing it (as stated in their AT PIER info sheets) ... but I don't think he's going to risk it b/c I'd hate to see him throw away perfectly good (not cheap) beer if he can't :p
He wouldn't have to throw it away - it would be held, and returned on the night before debarkation. Of course if you're flying home immediately after the cruise he'd either have to pack it in checked luggage or drink it all (warm) in a couple of hours! :D

if it's alcohol you can either purchase a product online called "rum runners" which is a plastic container affair that won't leak in your checked baggage (or so they claim, no personal experience) or just wrap the bottle in bubble wrap to cushion and then place in a zip loc bag and then cushion it w/ clothes in your checked bag. Imagine you could do a similar thing with the beers.

Not that I have any direct knowledge of ANY of these techniques *wink*

Archived