Tigers - Bangkok - Safari Park or Tiger Temple

Miss Jolly

I realise that this is a rather difficult topic. I have read so much negative and positive feedback re animal cruelty in Thailand and am consequently very confused. I certainly do not want to support such cruelty. However, on the other hand I am interested in taking my daughter to a place where she can safely play with tiger cubs. We will be up at The Bridge on The River Kwai with Tong and are considering the Wildlife Safari Park (which Tong feels is nothing too special as she feels it is just a zoo which you can see at home) or Tiger Temple. The Safari Park excursion on Bangkok Daytours website (which refers to the place as The Wildlife centre) mentions playing with the tiger cubs but the Safari Park official website does not even make mention of it. I do not want to get there and find out that you cannot play with the cubs) Tong believes that the places are the same place with different names. Is she right there? At the risk of starting a hot topic, I would appreciate honest feedback here. Thank you

MJ: it seems that Khun Tong is providing you with misinformation to steer you in a certain direction. Think about the contradiction of these two statements:

Tong feels the Safari Park is nothing too special as she feels it is just a zoo which you can see at home
Zoo means cages to me...this place has no cages as the animals are running free and you are in the 'cage' - bus actually!
Tong believes that the places are the same place with different names

Clearly she has never been there or she would know that they are not the same place.

Regarding the tiger cubs at the Safari park you mentioned

playing with the tiger cubs but the Safari Park official website does not even make mention of it

if you have a look at the gallery on their website you'll see them feeding the cubs

gal30.jpg

One thing that might help you to decide is that the Tiger Temple recently introduced a new thing where you can have special time with the tiger cubs - about 15-20 minutes for a group of four - at an extra cost of 1500 baht per person...

Personally I think this is too much but many people are paying the extra for this special experience.

You are correct that this is a difficult area and everyone has their own opinion about what to do. Many tour operators have reservations about direction in which the Tiger Temple is moving - monetary wise - and have therefore looked for other close-encounter options, especially with tiger cubs. Hence the promotion of the Safari Park.

Thanks Klong master - Iwas hoping to hear from you on that.Thank you for taking the time to help out. Actually, we do have similar zoos without cages here in Australia. Thanks for the great photos but is this the general public or actual workers feeding the cubs. I was looking for something about your reference of being able to play with the cubs ourselves. I had thought that the 1500 baht extra was per person and had thought that that was far too expensive. Maybe I would consider it if theprice was for our whole famiy. I still can't decide what to do. Please help!

P.S I had an uncle and aunt who were circus performers and as such, I had an insight to the love and care that the circus people had for their animals and so I am upset by the frequent public outcry about cruelty to animals in circuses. The animals used had been bred into circus life and would not survive in the wild. Thus, I am caught as I do not want to support animal cruelty but I know that often the general public can perceive things in an untrue manner.

I still can't decide what to do. Please help!

HaHa...tough decision...I was up at the Safari Park earlier this week and they have just had a new set of cubs born...which makes two sets there now.

You are correct that the pic I posted from their website is staff feeding the cubs and not the general public. However, the cubs are accessible to all and pics only cost 50 baht. None of this 1500 baht each for access which I think is OTT.

Archived