CAUGHT SMUGGLING ALCOHOL on RCCL????

We were on RCCL last week. Brought two bottles of wine in our checked luggage. Pepsi and water bottles in our carry ons. Nothing was touched. DS and I both bought tequila in Costa Maya fully expexting it to be taken at re-boarding, but it was not.

We were on Mariner 3-14-04 and had bottle of our favorite whiskey in our checked luggage and one in our carry on along with a bottle of wine. No problem. Our cruise mates bought a bottle in San Juan and it was held til the end of the cruise, they tried to just walk on without sort of hiding it.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=14>

<param name="hour" value=17>

<param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

MARINER OF THE SEAS 3/14/04

Usually I pack a fifth of vodka, whiskey, and a couple of bottles of wine. On the EOS last month, I took 3 "cases" of those little shot-size bottles of vodka and whiskey, for a total of about 40 or so bottles. I've never had a problem doing this in my checked baggage. Actually, it seemed to save some room. Anyway, I put the vodka in the room refrigerator the first day, and the room steward always refilled our ice every day. Left the wine on the desk, and never even drank one bottle of it. Left it for the steward, which she seemed to really appreciate icon_smile.gif

03/13/04- Explorer!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;3;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Triumph January 2003

Sea Princess September 2002

Grand Princess January 2002

Inspiration June 1996

First of all, I refuse to travel w/o my companion, Mr. Jim Beam. He's like my American Express card. I don't leave home w/o him.

On our first cruise I remember reading about RCCL having the right to limit what booze goes on board but that didn't stop me from carrying on a bottle. After we boarded in San Juan, the DH and I hit the duty free store right there at the dock. We bought another bottle of JB, a bottle of Kaluha(sp?), beer and water. Walked right back on, had it scanned and proceeded to our cabin. No questions asked. Returned to the store later for some Diet Pepsi and on our way back through, a huge sign appeared that said no alcohol could be brought on board. Hmmm. In Curacao, bought a bottle of just that, and walked right back on w/it. Again, no questions asked.

Second cruise, had some JB packed in the checked luggage and had some airplane size bottles in our carry ons. Again, no questions. Bought like 6-8 bottles of booze on the ship to bring home w/no upcharge and took them directly to our room. It was however, the last night of the cruise. I was worried about paying duty, so I owned up on our purchase to the customs agent. She said not to worry about it and enjoy our trip back to MI.

I have every intention of carrying on one bottle and putting a bottle in my checked luggage next March. Those will be considered backup to the $400-800 bar bills we've had in the past! Do we drink when we cruise? You bet... from morning till night!

Cathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;3;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Mariner of the Seas!

Grandeur of the Seas, 03/01

Sovereign of the Seas, 12/02

We have, on many occasions, packed 2 twelve packs in a small suitcase and checked it with the porter. It has always showed up untouched everytime...CCL, HAL,NCL,RCCL and Princess. We still bring beer if DH wants it but gave up "smuggling" when they began allowing you to purchase from the gift services pre cruise. Price is similar to stateside and it really is much simpler!

Golden Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;23;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Radiance of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I bet some of the posters are fuming over this one. I too have carried on booze not even trying to hide it and nothing was ever said...Will continue to do so and my bar bill is always hefty as well...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Jewel of The Seas<BR

Sensation 3/99

Majesty of The Seas 12/03

I quit trying to "sneak" alcohol onboard ever since someone else's bottle broke in their luggage and leaked all into my luggage. I hated when it happened to me and ruined some of my items. I would hate to ruin someone else's things.

Monarch of the Seas 9/2000

Carnival Paradise 5/2001

Carnival Pride 5/2002

Navigator of the Seas 1/2003

Explorer of the Seas 11/2003

Mariner of the Seas **HONEYMOON** 5/16/2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raytownlady:

Ok, here we go: On our last cruise on which was on RCCL my DH packed a fifth of his favorite Gentleman Jack in our checked luggage. It made it to our cabin just fine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your DH should try the new JD Single Barrel, nectar of the Gods.

Reggie icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rhapsody 10-17-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;12;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Mercury 12-06-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;03;29;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800 Monarch 3-29-04

Viking Serenade 1998

Viking Serenade 1999

Voyager of the Seas 2000

Viking Serenade 2001

Majesty of the Seas 11-2002

Norwegian Sea 11-2002

Vision of the Seas 11-2002

Mercury 5-03-03

Monarch of the Seas 6-09-03

Mercury 10-12-03

Monarch 11-17-03

Monarch 1-19-04

God bless the USA and all freedom loving people. May God protect all those who fight and die to protect those freedoms.

Considering the vast inconsistency of how these policies seem to be enforced... it would seem that upon being "caught" one might expect to have a certain amount of success in discretely slipping the guard a 5 or a 10 spot and inquiring "booze? What booze, I don't see any booze, do you see any booze?"

Anyone had any experience with that approach? Maybe the truth is that the security folks are just looking for a "tip"? icon_wink.gif

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

We just got off the Rhapsody 4/18/04. This was our experience...as I was a little nervous before sailing. We packed one bottle of wine on our carry on. When we arrived in Galveston and going thru security they saw the bottle of wine. The security person said that we needed to go to another line and check the bottle in. Well my husband and I just walked off in the direction of the check in lines for the cabins and avoided the line that she told us to go into. Nothing else happened. They are very busy and dont' look back at you.

I do have to say that it was very simple bringing that bottle through. I do recommend that if you don't have to to have wine, you are better off not bringing anything with you, so much extra weight, just go to the duty free shop the first day of sailing and purchase whatever liquor you would like for very cheap prices and you pay $9.00 per purchase and can take all of it back to your cabin without question. The employees are very friendly, don't ask questions. It was so simple. That is what I will do this next time and then buy a bottle of wine on board and have for dinner, etc. The savings from purchasing the liquor on board is significant and therefore buying wine on board is not so bad. By the way....I did not even finish my bottle of wine that I brought. I really enjoyed the drinks by the pool...lol! Enjoy and don't worry so much about the wine thing. Just have a good time.

Judging by most of the posts, you should just do it. Looks like the chances of it being taken off you are slim to zero.

However, here's why I never take any on board (I'm not judging those that do, good luck to them).

* I don't want to risk it breaking over my clothes

* It's far too heavy. Heck I'm on my vacation, and not taking my heaviest supermarket shopping on a 1500 mile trip.

* When you add up how much I drink (I drink a fair bit), multiplied by the real savings, it doesn't add up (for me) to counter my first 2 points.

* When on ship, I like to vary my drinking between beer (morning), punches/pina/marg for lunch, beer in the afternoon (different brand), wine for dinner (red/white for me, rose for the missus), baileys, shorts for watching shows and finally a beer (helps reduce my hangovers before bed). *NOW I'D Need a supermarket trolley (cart) to heeve that lot on board and have the same variety icon_smile.gif

Seriously, I've tried to calculate exactly what I'd save but our (my DH) luggage is already too heavy with 26 pairs of shoes icon_smile.gif to cover the saving in my head.

Like I said, some things mean different things to others and if you get your kicks taking booze on board then all the very best to you. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

God Bless.

<applet codebase="http://*************/java-sys" height="25" width="203" code="countdown.class">

<PARAM NAME="font" VALUE="lcdb0"><PARAM NAME="month" VALUE="4"><PARAM NAME="hour" VALUE="17"><PARAM NAME="year" VALUE="2005"><PARAM NAME="day" VALUE="03">

</applet>

RCCL - Mariner (April 3rd 2005) - Click here for April 3rd 2005 Mariner Roll Call

Princess - Golden (April 3rd 2004)

RCCL - Navigator (June 2003)

RCCL - Explorer (April 2002)

RCCL - Voyager (June 2001)

Carnival - Paradise (Dec/Jan 1999/2000 Millenium Cruise)

Big Red Boat icon_smile.gif (1997)

7bdolph.gif

Never,never have I ever had a problem bringing my own wine/spirits onboard as long as it is done correctly:

WINE

Purchase a 6 or 12 bottle wine shipper from a wine shop.Load it with your favorites(don't forget to include a wine opener),tape securely,put shipper inside a large duffel bag,attach your room tags to the outside and voila...it magacially appears in your room just like the rest of your luggage.

LIQUOR

Take some strong (Aquafina) empty water bottles (liter or larger),fill with your favorite spirits,attach cap on tight with a pliers,wrap with wide,clear plastic tape,put bottles inside a large ziplock bag (not needed but for those paranoid types),wrap in some clothing and insert in your luggage.Again,voila!!!

Neither of these two methods has failed me in 10+ cruises.

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

we used to pack several of the little airplane type bottles, a few cokes & some juice for mixes. it always made it thru no problem, AND it usually went back home no problem. It's just so much more fun to have a drink in the lounge before dinner or the foo-foo drink by the pool. We are not big drinker's at home anyway so it's more of a "social" thing on the cruise. We carried around a bottle of Champagne on about 3 cruises before we finally drank it last year on New Year's

Sovereign Again

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;04;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Halloween on the Serenade

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;30;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Well, it looks like this topic posting has been very successful - maybe too much! If RCCL sees this, they may tighten up!!!

Thanks to all the folks that contributed.

If I may change the subject a wee bit - What is the selection of alcholic beverages available in the on board duty free shop. Is there a good selection of various items, or is it rather limited? Is a list available anywhere?

They have a good a selection of your basics. They don't have a lot of different things. They will have a couple of good vodkas, a couple of good rums, a couple of good bourbons, etc. It is not a wide ranging selection, but what they have is good.

jc

RCI AND CELEBRITY...seem to be the best when it comes to allowing alcohol onboard. This can cange quickly as I found out on our SUMMIT cruise last October.

I was coming back from the pier in Barbados and saw the infamous table beyond the xray machine. Sure enough...the young officer was handed the parcel after it came out of the xray. We had a friendly discussion about it and she told me that they had stopped some passengers from drinking around the pool because they found them drinking their own booze. I guess they had been a bit rowdy and there were complaints and crew reports etc.

The lesson is this: DO NOT IMBIBE YOUR PRIVATE STOCK UNLESS YOU ARE IN YOUR CABIN!!

It is a giant breach of etiquette to drink your own alcohol outside of your own cabin. What you do in your own cabin is your business as long as you are not disturbing or bothering anyone else.

The more they (the lines) find that pax are drinking their own alcoholin public areas...the more they will clamp down on bringing booze aboard.

ROSS

RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 1965/TS BREMEN 1971/RMS AMERIKANIS 1972/SS FRANCE 1973/SS FRANCE 1973/QE II 1975/QE II 1975/TS LEONARDO DaVINCI 1976/QE II 1978/TS GALLILAO 1984/ MV REGENT SEA 1988/MV ZENITH 1992/SS NORWAY 1993/MV HORIZON 1998/GTS NORWEGIAN SUN 2001/GTS CENTURY 2002/GTS SUMMIT 2003/GTS JEWEL OF THE SEAS 2004

Cool,

So the rumors that folks that were cought smuggling booze were the source of "ranch steaks" are bogus? icon_confused.gif

BigDave

My first cruise: Enchantment, Eastern Caribbean - 10/13/2002

My second cruise: Rhapsody, Western Caribbean - 4/4/2004

My next cruise:

Valor, W. Carib. 2/6/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;2;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Radiance, E. Carib 2/13/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=229922&cdt=2005;2;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Just the facts: two bottles of whiskey in my checked luggage and one bottle of champagne in my carry-on thru the scanner. No problems. No questions.

It works. and GUILT FREE.

-nij

Explorer of the Seas 2/04

Explorer of the Seas 9/02

Mariner of the Seas 8/04

PLANNING FOR:

Alaskan cruise for 2/05

CGTNORMANDIE,

I think Princess has the most lienent alcohol policy compared to RCCL.

I also think you'd have to be a complete moron to flaunt drinking your own alcohol in public.Most people should realize the cruiselines are letting these things slide by as long as it's not abused.

I consume mine either exclusively on my balcony or else in a glass while viewing a show.I know it all sounds the same to some folks but during the day sitting around the pool,I purchase RCCL's booze.

Those who blatently abuse the rules are going to ruin it for those who simply want to enjoy their own alcohol in their own cabins.

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

Will be bringing our own wine in our checked luggage. We like wine and they don't sell it except in the dining room, and we would like it for our balcony. Have done it before a few times with no problems. Just pack well!

When not in our cabin we buy drinks at the bars and the dining room.

Brought 1 bottle of wine in a carry on and nothing was said. We also bought several bottles of alcohol at ports and carried them on (did not try to hide) and nothing was ever said. When we bought stuff on board we were asked if we wanted it for consumption on board or held for later. We chose to have it held but the cashier told us that it would only be $9.95 fee for the entire order on the first night

Diane

Legend of the Sea 9/12/04

Voyager of the Sea 8/24/03

Sovereign of the Sea 07/01

On Explorer last year, we met with my sister in St. Maartin (she has a time share there) and she presented us with one of the largest bottles of Romanov Sambuca I'd ever seen. We cracked it open on the beach and each took shots. We didn't even put a mild dent in the contents due to the enormous size of the bottle.

At any rate, we put the bottle in our beach bag- not very concealed- fully expecting the bottle to be confiscated. It was CLEARLY visible on the security screen as it went through the x-ray and the guards were watching that screen (thank, God!) the entire time.

But not a soul stopped us. I wonder if the policy is more along the lines of "Don't ask, Don't tell"? We took the 'Buca back to the room and had shots everynight before going out and buying drinks in the bar and disco as well. RCCL lost no money on us! icon_smile.gif

One thing of note; I've always wanted to buy 'buca on RCCL cruises, but the liqour stores "never have it" or "Ran out last Tuesday" or (as I was told by a haughty salesman on Explorer- probably the only rude employee on that ship) "I wouldn't have that swill in my store!" (vagabond twerp)

I wonder if the argument could be made that RCCL isn't losing a sale of sambuca on me since they don't sell it- that it could be deemed okay to bring it aboard? Or more likely, they just don't like to look for arguments over a single (even LARGE) bottle of 'buca- now if it was a box of 'buca bottles...

Also, what's the feasibility of confiscating an open bottle? (aside from whatever local laws say about having an open bottle of alcohol "in public") I'm not so sure I'd accept back a bottle of open booze that's been "stored" by the crew- would you? icon_wink.gif

I'd pay the fee to take booze back to my room- it's still mind-numbingly small given the cheaper booze prices in ports then buying drinks at the bars on ship, for those so inclined.

So- try to "smuggle" the bottle aboard, and if you get caught- pay the fee to have it in the cabin. If not caught, CHEERS! icon_cool.gif

CCL Holiday- August '94

CLB Horizon- April '95

CCL Fascination- May '96

CCL Inspiration- Feb '98

RCI Majesty- March '00

RCI Grandeur- June '00

RCI Vision- April '02

RCI Explorer- May '03

RCI Navigator- Coming Soon!

RCI Voyager- Coming Soon!!!

---------------------------

Ready for Ultra-Voyager- NOW!

It's a similar process to cruiserforlife but not so much wrapping up.

Buy 1/2 liter softdrinks and replace a few of them with liquor. Put them in a carryon and tote on board. It's easier to wait until you are on your way to the pier and stop and pick up some then dragging it on the flight.

Maureen

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/15/2005

8 cruises to date.

Archived