What to do at LAX with 2-year-old for 6+ hours?

LadyLuck

Hello Everyone,

We have a later flight (6:15 pm) back home to Vancouver BC on the day of disembarkation. I'm assuming that we will probably get to the airport (if we go directly from San Pedro) around noon. So, has anyone had any experience at LAX airport with kids? Is there a hotel connected to it that allows you to stay on an hourly rate? I'm not sure what to do for her nap......she doesn't sleep in her stroller. What about food outlets? Are there more choices before security checkpoint? Don't know if we should go directly to the airport after disembarkation or somewhere else. We don't want to do Disneyland as we'll be doing that as a pre-cruise treat.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You will most likely be off the ship MUCH earlier than noon! I'd book a day room at a hotel, so you'll have use of beds, pool, restaurants, bathrooms....things that will give you a "place" to be for that looong amount of time.

But first, check how much it would be to change your flight to something earlier--it may cost less than a hotel room!

Since I've live near LAX for most of my life I can honestly say that the airport terminals do not provide the best layover options for travelers nor is there much to do around the airport. However, doing a quick search I see the Travel Lodge LAX offers day rate of $49.95 up to 8PM and there's a Denny's restaurant next door plus they offer an airport shuttle to the airport which is only 1/2 mile from the hotel. On my last cruise in July in was off the ship by 9AM in San Pedro and no more than 30 minutes to LAX so your flight wait could be much longer then expected. I really think getting a day room is the best option especially with children. I hope this helps.

http://www.travelodgelax.com/

Chances are you will be off the ship by no later than 10AM. I would find out which hotels offer a shuttle from the pier to the hotel and offer a shuttle to the airport. There are many hotels at LAX airport to choose from. Maybe you want to pick one that has lots of amenities- like a pool, etc. and have a nice relaxing day there.

Agree - we ended up off the ship by 9 a.m. and had a very long wait with our then 15 month old. Thankfully he's happy to just run around and get into everything, but I would have been much happier to have gone to a hotel for the day. 'Course, if you could get an earlier flight, that would be even better. ;)

Definitely think about getting a day room. You should be off the ship and on the way to the airport by midmorning. Most airlines limit how early you can check in luggage, usually around 3-4 hours before your flight. So if you head straight to the airport, that would be at least a few hours sitting around outside security with your luggage with very limited things to do.

Archived