hello first time hal cruiser

drpm

You can bring wine, champagne and soft drinks on board. Just no beer or hard A. Our last cruise we brought 2 bottles of very nice champagne and a bottle of wine for each day. We paid the corkage in the dining room, which was 15.00 at that time. I understand it is now 18.00. You may also enjoy all the wine you want in your own cabin without the corkage fee. We happily paid for the occasional martini when we wanted one. I think HAL has a very liberal alcohol policy.

Yes, a VERY liberal booze policy. You can bring unlimited wine - and they do mean "unlimited"! When I threw a roll call party for 40, and brought a couple cases, we didn't even rate a blink.

If you search this board, you'll find reports on some ships, at some times, it's also possible to bring beer back to the ship.

I've also observed on some ships there's no effort at the gangway to prevent alcohol from being brought to cabin in ports. While I don't encourage people to test HAL's patience by abusing this fact (possibly result in a rule change), I do think it shows HAL is liberal and laid back: treats its passengers as adults who can follow rules, instead of children sent to "the naughty room".

We purchased liquor in liter bottles on board for our room and they were resonably priced - about what you would pay in an airport duty free store as I recall.

Now we only have cruised once on HAL and it was in a deluxe suite. We ordered our bottles in the Neptune Lounge from a (well-stocked) menu. So I am assuming liquor sales by the bottle is not exclusive to deluxe suite guests and is available to all passengers. Can anyone clarify?

Hope you have a wonderful cruise,

Pete

yeah i meant hard stuff so you think you can buy it at other ports and bring it on with you. thanks
It depends entirely on how gangway security is feeling that day. We have openly brought hard liquor on board at two ports other than embarkation and it was not confiscated, but you may not be so lucky. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have seen the table set up right at the end of the xray machine as you get on the ship -- someone always manning it -- they use luggage tags to tag the bottles of any hard alcohol that you have bought in the ports. It will be returned to you the last night of the cruise.

I have even seen reminders in the daily program about bringing alcohol onto the ship at various ports.

We purchased liquor in liter bottles on board for our room and they were resonably priced - about what you would pay in an airport duty free store as I recall.

Now we only have cruised once on HAL and it was in a deluxe suite. We ordered our bottles in the Neptune Lounge from a (well-stocked) menu. So I am assuming liquor sales by the bottle is not exclusive to deluxe suite guests and is available to all passengers. Can anyone clarify?

Hope you have a wonderful cruise,

Pete

HAL Ship Services (800-541-1576) can help you order 1 L bottles ahead of time at very reasonable price (i.e. vodka ~$30) and can email you the full list of alcohol ... or they told me to just get it onboard where there's even more of a selection (i.e. coconut rum) ...

I have carefully packed (and ziplocked, and prayed) a bottle of bourbon in my regular luggage, and it has made it through to the cabin, no problem. That said, there is a risk it will break. Trust me when I say we also frequent plenty of bars on board, so they get their money from me. I just like a little snort while I dress for dinner;)

HAL Ship Services (800-541-1576) can help you order 1 L bottles ahead of time at very reasonable price (i.e. vodka ~$30) and can email you the full list of alcohol ... or they told me to just get it onboard where there's even more of a selection (i.e. coconut rum) ...

Here's the list available for pre-order ... w/ even more available on the ship ...

VODKA: GREY GOOSE 69.00

VODKA: FINLANDIA 29.90

VODKA: BELVEDERE 70.15

VODKA: TANQUERAY STERLING 35.65

VODKA: CHOPIN 70.15

VODKA: STOLICHNAYA 29.90

VODKA: ABSOLUT 32.20

VODKA: ABSOLUT CITRON 32.20

VODKA: SMIRNOFF 27.60

VODKA: SKYY 28.75

LIQUEURS: AMARETTO 51.75

LIQUEURS: KAHLUA 36.80

LIQUEURS: COINTREAU 55.20

LIQUEURS: BAILEYS IRISH CREAM 46.00

LIQUEURS: DRAMBUIE 58.65

LIQUEURS: GRAND MARNIER 74.75

LIQUEURS: SOUTHERN COMFORT 36.80

LIQUEURS: TIA MARIA 49.45

LIQUEURS: SAMBUCA - OPAL NERA 47.15

SHERRY: HARVEY'S MEDIUM 57.50

SHERRY: TIO PEPE 57.50

GIN: BOMBAY SAPPHIRE 42.55

GIN: BEEFEATER 32.20

GIN: TANQUERAY 41.40

RUM: MYERS 32.20

RUM: BACARDI GOLD 34.50

RUM: BACARDI WHITE 35.65

RUM: BACARDI LIMON 35.65

TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO 1800 43.45

TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO GOLD 34.50

COGNAC: HENNESSY VS 93.15

COGNAC: REMY MARTIN VSOP 97.75

COGNAC: REMY MARTIN XO 225.40

SCOTCH: DEWAR'S WHITE LABEL 48.30

SCOTCH: BALLANTINE'S 40.25

SCOTCH: J & B RARE 36.80

SCOTCH: CUTTY SARK 32.20

SCOTCH: JOHNNIE WALKER RED 36.80

SCOTCH: CHIVAS REGAL - 12 Y.O. 66.70

SCOTCH: JOHNNIE WALKER BLACK 77.05

BOURBON: JIM BEAM 34.50

BOURBON: JACK DANIELS 55.20

WHISKEY: JAMESON IRISH 42.55

WHISKEY: CANADIAN CLUB 32.20

WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS V.O. 29.90

WHISKEY: CROWN ROYAL 42.55

WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS 7 29.90

STATEROOM BEV PKG-GIN & TONIC PKG 36.80

STATEROOM BEV PKG-SCOTCH & SODA 36.80

STATEROOM BEV PKG - VODKA & TONIC 34.50

STATEROOM BEV PKG - BOURBON & COKE 39.10

STATEROOM BEV PKG - RUM & COKE 39.10

DOMESTIC BEER PACKAGE - 6 BUDWEISRS 21.85

DOMESTIC BEER PACKAGE-6 BUD LITE'S 21.85

DOMESTIC BEER PACKAGE-6 MILLER MGD 21.85

DOMESTIC BEER PACKAGE - 6 MILLER LT 21.85

IMPORTED BEER PACKAGE - 6 HEINEKEN 23.00

IMPORTED BEER PACKAGE - 6 AMSTEL LT 23.00

IMPORTED BEER PACKAGE - 6 CORONAS 23.00

I just order a bottle from room service when we get onboard.

The prices are very reasonable, and often I don't finish the bottle before the end of the cruise anyway. It's much more fun to drink in the lounges with the other lushes. :o

Archived