TA but want to pay with RC Visa?

I just transferred my reservation to a travel agent....

Can anyone tell me how to handle the payment? I want to use my RC VISA to get the double points for booking on RC. Do I pay RC directly with my card, or do I have to give the agent my card info? I'd rather pay myself, if possible.

Thanks!

Anytime you book with or transfer a reservation to a travel agent, from that point forward ALL transactions must be handled through the travel agent. If, after final payment, a price reduction occurs for which you're eligible, you'll have to hope the travel agent will honor the price reduction and act swiftly enough to secure the lower rate, before prices go back up. If you want to change your cabin, you'll have to do this through the agent as well.

Also, I've seen on these boards where people have thought that they would get the double points on their RCCL Visa when they paid via their travel agent, but learned later they did not get the double points. I think the reason for this was because the Agency paid the final payment from Agency funds, and then the Agency charged the individual's Visa card - so the payment was not direct to RCCL via the Visa card. You might want to make sure that the agent will be giving RCCL your card number directly, so you can get your double points.

Unfortunately, RCCL cannot help you with anything on your reservation after you take the reservation from them.

Anytime you book with or transfer a reservation to a travel agent, from that point forward ALL transactions must be handled through the travel agent. If, after final payment, a price reduction occurs for which you're eligible, you'll have to hope the travel agent will honor the price reduction and act swiftly enough to secure the lower rate, before prices go back up. If you want to change your cabin, you'll have to do this through the agent as well.

Also, I've seen on these boards where people have thought that they would get the double points on their RCCL Visa when they paid via their travel agent, but learned later they did not get the double points. I think the reason for this was because the Agency paid the final payment from Agency funds, and then the Agency charged the individual's Visa card - so the payment was not direct to RCCL via the Visa card. You might want to make sure that the agent will be giving RCCL your card number directly, so you can get your double points.

Unfortunately, RCCL cannot help you with anything on your reservation after you take the reservation from them.

I did ask the agent about this, upfront, and said that I wanted the double points by paying Royal with the Visa. She said, "Yes."

But I won't be sure until it happpens. Hope I didn't lose out too much by giving up the points deal. I still saved more with going through the agent, though.

Update...I just talked to my travel agent and she booked the cruise, using my RC VISA and said she would use the numbers directly with the cruise line. I explained about the points and she was very accommodating. I'll post back again when I see that it all was done correctly, though. I will be so relieved if all goes smoothly!

Update...I just talked to my travel agent and she booked the cruise, using my RC VISA and said she would use the numbers directly with the cruise line. I explained about the points and she was very accommodating. I'll post back again when I see that it all was done correctly, though. I will be so relieved if all goes smoothly!

If you give your TA your c.card info, they SHOULD only be giving that c.card # directly to the cruiseline and the charge on your statement should be from the cruiseline NOT THE TA's AGENCY.

Beware of TA's that do not call in your c.card # direct to the cruiseline on your behalf.....

If you give your TA your c.card info, they SHOULD only be giving that c.card # directly to the cruiseline and the charge on your statement should be from the cruiseline NOT THE TA's AGENCY.

Beware of TA's that do not call in your c.card # direct to the cruiseline on your behalf.....

I'll check on the statement. The TA already sent me a statement saying I was paid up...she's good!

This annoyed me, though...I called Royal to simply ask that they verify that my cruise was paid up, as the final payment date is this Saturday and the phone rep refused to give me any information. Is that weird? Yes, I have an agent to handle any changes in my trip or room, etc., but I am still the one taking the cruise and paying for it. Why couldn't they give me an answer to such a basic question? Anyone have a clue on that? I asked several times and was politely refused each time. That gets under my skin.

I'll check on the statement. The TA already sent me a statement saying I was paid up...she's good!

This annoyed me, though...I called Royal to simply ask that they verify that my cruise was paid up, as the final payment date is this Saturday and the phone rep refused to give me any information. Is that weird? Yes, I have an agent to handle any changes in my trip or room, etc., but I am still the one taking the cruise and paying for it. Why couldn't they give me an answer to such a basic question? Anyone have a clue on that? I asked several times and was politely refused each time. That gets under my skin.

I think there are two issues at play here: (1) privacy policy, and the cruiseline may be leary of giving out info to someone who may/may not be the actual passenger, and (2) most or all cruiselines will not divulge specific booking info to anyone working with a T/A ... they will answer general questions but for anything so particular, they expect you will work thru the issue with your T/A.

Have you phoned your credit card company to see if the charge has been processed on behalf of the cruiseline?

Thank you for that last suggestion. I did just that and called the credit card company and verified that the charge was made directly to Royal Caribbean on the same day that I gave my card #'s to my new agent. I've got the points!! Yay!

I am so impressed with this agent. She is so fast and efficient. Everything that she does is done so quickly and her speedy replies to my emails and her prompt service have made my life so much easier. I am breathing such a sigh of relief because it can be a scarey thing to turn your credit info over to a total stranger. All is well.

I learned that Royal Visa will redeem the points by way of a voucher and that the voucher can be applied to my cruise payment. This should be a smooth process, then. I already have 11,500 points before the cruise final payment was calculated in so that should add another 6100+ (doubled points). If I choose to wait until after the cruise to redeem the points (adding in onboard ship charges, etc.) then I can pay off the balance after the cruise by cashing points in right after we return.

Next decision...do I get a second card with myself as the primary card holder? I think you still get 10,000 points if you sign up and are approved. My current card has my husband as the primary name on the account. Mabye I can save that for later.

Archived