Husband says NO to spending another $1000

LanaJae

We have an inside cabin booked and I want to call Carnival and get a cat 12 suite for $1000 more. He says no way, isn't worth it. We booked late, there are no other cabin options.

Carnival's website shows the same suite available for the past week so if they're offering it as an upsell, no one is biting.

So... talk me out of this obsession! I don't care about the cabin size or priority boarding, I just want to sit on that balcony in the middle of the night.

Have you ever sailed and had an inside cabin?? Trust me, it's very claustrophobic. When u go into the cabin--NO WINDOWS. What if u just want to sit in your cabin and relax? NO WINDOWS.

I'd book an oceanview.

Not worth it! You can do so much and drink lots and lots for $1,000! NO, NO, NO!!! Maybe if it was a longer cruise, but 5 DAYS?!?! Heck no!

P.S. I enjoy larger cabins and have been known to splurge, but even that's to much for me!

We booked an inside cabin on our upcoming cruise too. We have only been on 2 cruises and both times had balconies, and LOVED it. This time I plan to sit on the deck instead.

If wiere a first-time cruiser, I don't think I would like the inside. But since we spent so little time in the cabin anyway, and save a lot of $$, we decided to try it.

If your husband wants to withhold $1,000 from you, then you can withhold something that you have that he wants: i.e., cooking and cleaning (get your mind out of the gutter). ;)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but:

As a strong, independant woman, wife, mother, and balcony cruiser, I have a good job so that my husband doesn't get to say no to a cat. 12, or whatever else I might want.

Sure, we are married and we discuss finances, but if he doesn't agree to something, like say a $1000 increase for a cat. 12, that's when I reach into my own personal money and get what I want. He's cool with it (afterall, he likes balconies as much as the next guy), I enjoy my cat. 12, and all is well with the world.:D

Personally, I could never cruise unless I was in a suite with a balcony, and I could never be in a marriage where my husband made unilateral decisions for me.;)

Now you go find a way to get that cat. 12 if you really want it badly enough.

[quote name='Name Of The Game']If you tell yourself it's claustrophobic, it will be. Mind over matter. We've always had inside cabins. It's no worse than staying in one's bedroom.[/QUOTE]

I don't tell myself that it's claustrophobic, I KNOW that it's claustrophobic; can't look out 4 walls now, can you?

Guesss that's why INSIDE cabins are cheaper that OUTSIDE/BALCONY and PENTHOUSE cabins, and that lots of posters on this thread are posting the benefits of this minor luxury, and that cruiselines are fitting more of their ships with balconies.

Additionally, the original poster is so excited to get a Penthouse, she WANTS people to talk her out of one. I merely offered her a compromise.

I pity you that you always have had inside cabins. You are missing all kinds of natural light, relaxation, beauty, and more of the finer things in life. Maybe u should try to enjoy yourself. BTW--My bedroom has windows, but no balcony. Our vacation house has a bedroom with a balcony. We enjoy the windows.

Leave me alone--I don't need your unsolicited psychologist's review.

[quote name='24butterfly']I don't tell myself that it's claustrophobic, I KNOW that it's claustrophobic; can't look out 4 walls now, can you?

I pity you that you always have had inside cabins. You are missing all kinds of natural light, relaxation, beauty, and more of the finer things in life. Maybe u should try to enjoy yourself. BTW--My bedroom has windows.[/quote]

My bedroom doesn't. I don't need to see out of the cabin when I'm only there to sleep, shower and dress. I'd rather save the money and cruise more often.

[quote name='24butterfly']I don't tell myself that it's claustrophobic, I KNOW that it's claustrophobic; can't look out 4 walls now, can you?

I pity you that you always have had inside cabins. You are missing all kinds of natural light, relaxation, beauty, and more of the finer things in life. Maybe u should try to enjoy yourself. BTW--My bedroom has windows.[/quote]

I totally agree with you Butterfly...they should call an inside cabin what it really is...a cell. I wouldn't bother cruising if I couldn't have a balcony, afterall, I'd say I spend at least 4-5 hours a day on my balcony, so it's more than worth the extra money.

[quote name='PhoenixDawgCruising']I totally agree with you Butterfly...they should call an inside cabin what it really is...a cell. I wouldn't bother cruising if I couldn't have a balcony, afterall, I'd say I spend at least 4-5 hours a day on my balcony, so it's more than worth the extra money.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Update.. still hoping for the upsell fairy to call.

We would have booked an ocean view, but there were none available. The price of an inside (2 decks lower) went up $205 per person a few days after we booked. At one point, an ocean view showed up on Carnival's website, but it was $225 more per person than we paid. I'd seriously rather pay $500 more pp for a balcony than $225 pp for a window.

I wish I could explain better about the spending difference on this - we could spend $1000 more, but he just does not think it's worth it at all, and I mean [U]at all[/U]. He's thoroughly convinced that people don't spend time in cabins and I'm just as convinced that we spend as much time, if not more, than we spend in any hotel room we've had on vacation. If we were at a hotel, I would never think we needed a suite. This is all about the balcony at night to me.

We were in the same dilemma before our recent cruise, Inspiration 5 day. I LOVE balconies, husband could care less. We booked an OV and I wanted a suite. Like you, it was about $1000 more.

I'm so glad we didn't do it now. The OV cabin was just fine. We spent more time in the public areas, but it was not as bad as I thought it was. I actually enjoyed it and enjoyed even more the fact that I saved $1000. We ended up needing it anyhow. We came home to a burst pipe and a flooded home with over $10K in damages. Looking back, I'm extremely grateful that my husband had the notions he did.

JMHO, but it's not worth that much money to upgrade. A few hundred? Maybe, but not $1000.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still book balcony cabins when I can. Just not on the Fantasy class ships unless I get upgraded for free or take a reasonable upsell offer.

[quote name='LanaJae']We have an inside cabin booked and I want to call Carnival and get a cat 12 suite for $1000 more. He says no way, isn't worth it. We booked late, there are no other cabin options.

.[/quote]

Explain to your husband about the marital [I]quid pro quo[/I], where if he turns down your requests, you can turn down his requests, especially "romantic" requests.

That should make him re-think the situation. :D

LanaJae-

A cruise is to relax and enjoy ;)

If you feel that the balcony is SO important...(assuming the budget is ok and you don't end up in a major marital dispute)...GO for it.

I don't know why you are taking prednisone, but if being in an inside cabin stresses you out and you lie awake all night....the cruise might end up adding to your problems.

Show him where you can cut back $100 a month on "other things" for the next 10 months.

I don't think you are being selfish or wasting $$$....you know what your body needs. Even have your doctor speak to him.:)

[quote name='luvmytbear']We were in the same dilemma before our recent cruise, Inspiration 5 day. I LOVE balconies, husband could care less. We booked an OV and I wanted a suite. Like you, it was about $1000 more.

I'm so glad we didn't do it now. The OV cabin was just fine. We spent more time in the public areas, but it was not as bad as I thought it was. I actually enjoyed it and enjoyed even more the fact that I saved $1000. We ended up needing it anyhow. We came home to a burst pipe and a flooded home with over $10K in damages. Looking back, I'm extremely grateful that my husband had the notions he did.

JMHO, but it's not worth that much money to upgrade. A few hundred? Maybe, but not $1000.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still book balcony cabins when I can. Just not on the Fantasy class ships unless I get upgraded for free or take a reasonable upsell offer.[/quote]

I read your trip report, so sorry to hear about the flood at your house. What an awful thing to happen :mad:

I just called Carnival to double check prices and there are only 6 cabins left. The one I wanted; an OV for $460 more; and 4 other insides.

The actual cost to go from what we have to the suite is $1160 now :eek: and that tipped the scale the other way for me.

I'd say - GO FOR IT!! When you look back at your cruise, you won't remember the $1000 that you don't have. You will remember sitting out on the balcony at night and seeing the stars like you can't see them at home. How peaceful!!

[quote name='MsTabbyKats']LanaJae-

A cruise is to relax and enjoy ;)

If you feel that the balcony is SO important...(assuming the budget is ok and you don't end up in a major marital dispute)...GO for it.

I don't know why you are taking prednisone, but if being in an inside cabin stresses you out and you lie awake all night....the cruise might end up adding to your problems.

Show him where you can cut back $100 a month on "other things" for the next 10 months.

I don't think you are being selfish or wasting $$$....you know what your body needs. Even have your doctor speak to him.:)[/quote]

Thanks so much, I think the cost being over $1000 now has changed my mind. We could make up the money in our budget over the next few months without a problem, but the difference now is almost another cruise with airfare. If for some stroke of luck they call and offer it for $500, I'm taking it.

I've had an autoimmune disease without remission for the last 8 years and take a chemo drug too. I don't think being in an inside will bother me, I'll just be bored while my husband sleeps. I did sleep better on ship than at home last year, so maybe it will be even better this time.

I'm with your husband. That's too much. Spend the money on shore excursions and spa treatments. I think that'll make your trip more enjoyable than sitting on a balcony in the dark. I'm not familar with this ship, but on the Carnival Splendor you can get to the front of the ship, just below the bridge on decks 6 and 7. Standing there looking forward at night, no lights, when the ship is at sea is one of the best sights I've seen, very eerie, and it was free.

Archived