Boston in October on Carnival

dontpanik

What excursions would you recommend? We are two couples travelling, no kids, and we all love history. i was hoping there was something that incorporated some of the Freedom trail with the battefields. Does such an excursion exsist?

Well, your ship is in Boston from 2 to 10 pm. I see that it has a Lexington Concord tour. You will be here on the peak weekend to see fall foliage, so it might be worth while to get out of the city. I live next to Concord and I know that that weekend is very popular and very worthwhile. Salem would be good too - October is their big Halloween month - but the tour goes to the Witch Museum which has not gotten good reviews. IMO you really won't get a sense of fall in New England by staying in downtown Boston. Also, I think that the Lexington/Concord area is prettier than Salem.

If you go out of town in the afternoon, you still have the evening to wander around downtown Boston. Even though it will be dark, it would be safe and you could walk part of the Freedom trail if you have a map. The Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area will be open at night. I don't think it really matters whether it is daylight or not to wander through the stores there. If Quincy Market doesn't appeal, you can follow the Freedom Trail to the North End for Italian food. Wherever you are, the ship will be a quick cab ride away to make a 10 pm sailing.

If you like history you will enjoy the freedom trail. We took a cab, bought an inexpensive guide at the visitors center and walked it on our own. Do as much of it as as you can fit in and enjoy.

There were also guides in period costumes offering guided walking tours from the visitor center, but we opted to read the plaques and the write ups in the guide books. The trail is actually marked on the ground so with a guide book it is fun to do it on your own.

We were there earlier in the day though.

Do the Freedom Trail and when you are in the north end you have a wide variety of Italian Restaurants. We're regulars at Paglucas on Parmenter St., just off Hanover. I think the old North Church and the USS Constitution are the best part of the trail. Albeit the Constitution is a long walk, far end, of the trail.

The north end is quite safe. The mob is located there and they keep things quiet in their neighborhood.

Archived