Shopping in St. Martin or St. Thomas???

mabell2

I needed opinions on where the shopping is better, St. Martin or St. Thomas? Our ship stops in St. Martin the day before St. Thomas. We only want to spend one day on the beach but I'm not sure if I should do the beach in St. Martin and save the most of the shopping for St. Thomas or the other way around. Thanks:):):)

What are you shopping for? Anything a particular? It might help people to answer. On both islands we have gone to a beach first for a few hours and then spent an hour or so wandering the shops in town after.

I can't imagine doing just shopping on either of these islands. If you don't like going to the beach try taking a tour. Lots of suggestions on these boards.

I would love to buy a Yurman bracelet and some souvenirs for my friends and family. And I can't come back with out alcohol. St. Thomas or St. Martin??

For booze I would go with St Thomas. More stores (Al Cohen, etc) and as a US territory, higher duty free allowance

I would love to buy a Yurman bracelet and some souvenirs for my friends and family. And I can't come back with out alcohol. St. Thomas or St. Martin??

I believe that, overall, shopping is much better in St. Maarten. It's a true duty free port, and all that.

I know that Artistic, on Front Street, near the Little Pier, sells Yurman. I was told to expect something like 10%-15% off US prices. Add the sales tax you would pay at home to determine your savings. I suspect that pricing in St. Thomas would be similar.

For liquor, again I would recommend St. Maarten. It's cheaper. If you're buying so much that the US duty free limits on your purchase are a concern, I wouldn't worry about the duty. We have NEVER been charged duty for excess purchases. DO be sure to declare everything that you purchased.

HOWEVER, If you're purchasing this much, how are you getting it home? Unless you're driving home from the port, you'll have to get it all into your checked luggage.

If you're still interested in booze, I would recommend checking Caribbean Paradise and Splash for best price,

th_DSCN1053.jpg th_DSCN1056.jpg

(click)

but if you're looking at packing it in your luggage, check Gulmohar's, for their AirBags.

All are near each other on Front Street.

gary

p.s. The Water Taxi. It travels a 3-point route, Cruise Facility to the Little Pier (downtown P'burg for shopping) to Bobby's Marina, at the end of Front Street Shopping and back to the ship. About a 5-minute ride each leg. Be sure to have your camera at hand for some great shots.

th_DSCN0416.jpg th_DSCN4127.jpg th_greatbay.jpg

(click)

Best way to Marigot is a taxi.

th_DSCN3856.jpg

Without doubt, liquor prices in St. Maarten are the lowest in the Caribbean. HOWEVER, times are changing for bringing home liquor.

Duty - I have always exceeded my "duty free" limit and have never ever been charged duty at customs. I always declare all liquor purchases and the customs people glance at the form and pass us on without question.

Box of 6 or 8 bottles - In the past you could check the boxes as luggage. Then when advised by the Airline those boxes get "lost", we handled them as "carry-ons". Now that's out due to the "liquids ban".

Pack in Suitcase - We often brought an empty suitcase for the purpose of filling it with liquor bottles (sufficiently padded with bubble wrap and clothing). Now with the $50 charge per extra suitcase, price/benefit becomes a real issue. Even then the weight and size of 1-2 bottles WILL be an issue when number of luggage pieces is a concern.

So my approach is to bring home maybe one bottle of the very, very best product. For me that is Stoli elit - the world's absolutely BEST vodka.

elit-bottle2.jpg

They are on front street and deliver to the ship at no charge. Prices and selection is very good. I've tried other shops but now only use them. I've been there at least 8 times as well as staying on the island 3 times. Water side to left of central mall. facing inland.

Can you please give more info on the Water Taxi. Where does that go and how much does it cost. What is the best way to get to Marigot? Can you take a Water Taxi there? Thanks.....

The water taxis only operate within the Phillipsberg harbour, running between the cruise ship pier and Phillipsberg's town centre. If you want to go to Marigot, which is on the opposite side of the island, you will either have to book an excursion boat, or take a cab.

The water ferry dock is located right at the cruise ship pier. The price is US$4pp for one trip, or US$6pp for an all day bracelet. Obviously the all-day bracelet is the way to go if you plan to make more than one trip.

There are 3-4 water taxis operating on a fixed route: From the cruise ship pier, the taxi takes you over to a dock at the centre of town (takes 3-4 minutes), and then to a second dock perhaps 300 metres further west. From the second dock, the water taxi returns to the cruise ship pier .

During our time in port, we took the water taxi to the first dock, wandered through town shopping, then boarded at the second dock to be taken back to the cruise ship for lunch. We changed into beachwear, taxied back to the first dock, found a nice piece of sand to call our own for a few hours, then at 3:30, boarded the taxi for the ride back to the cruise ship pier.

If you are planning to centre your activities in Phillipsberg and the bbeach inside the main harbour, the water taxi is the way to go.

My wife bought David Yurman Jewelry last week on our Serenade cruise. She purchased both at the David Yurman boutique in St. Thomas on Front St. and at Artistic Jewelers in St. Maarten. Discounts are about 10% off what you'd pay in the states. For duty reminders you're allowed $1600 per couple with an additional $800 if purchased in the USVI. If Kids are along they are good for an additional $800 allowance per child. Artistic had the best selection. Lauren the shopping consultant on the Serenade was not much help. She wouldn't recommend any Yurman store in St. Thomas or St. Maarten probably due to the fact that RCI receives no $ from those vendors.

In St. Maarten try some of the shops towards the end of the main street that has the shops. After coming off the water taxi make a left on the main street and walk down a ways. You'll find them towards the end of the street. Look for the shops that have the LaCoste shirts outside 3/$25 and the purses are inside.

Do they have purses in St. Maarten? My cruise is not going to St. Thomas this time.

Yes, they have lots of choices for high-end purses.

They also offer knock-off purses, to which the discussion seems to have turned.

There is a previous discussion in the thread posted here. See my posts near the bottom. I think the information there is still valid, but they have moved the "Know before you go" brochure to a new location. You'll find it here. Still look for pages 51-52.

Also, one of our favorite liquor stores, Caribbean Paradise, on Front Street, has some knock-off purses. Go to the very back and around the corner to the right.

th_DSCN1053.jpg

(click)

gary

I needed opinions on where the shopping is better, St. Martin or St. Thomas? Our ship stops in St. Martin the day before St. Thomas. We only want to spend one day on the beach but I'm not sure if I should do the beach in St. Martin and save the most of the shopping for St. Thomas or the other way around. Thanks:):):)

Off topic kind of-- are you getting off the ship at Princess Cay? Wouldnt this be your beach day. What about Grand Turk. Not much to do here since a hurricane-- beach day here too

Yes, they have lots of choices for high-end purses.

They also offer knock-off purses, to which the discussion seems to have turned.

There is a previous discussion in the thread posted here. See my posts near the bottom. I think the information there is still valid, but they have moved the "Know before you go" brochure to a new location. You'll find it here. Still look for pages 51-52.

Also, one of our favorite liquor stores, Caribbean Paradise, on Front Street, has some knock-off purses. Go to the very back and around the corner to the right.

th_DSCN1053.jpg

(click)

gary

Thank you very much for this information. You've been really helpful.

Where is the Coach outlet (those aren't fakes). Also, what is the best beach for snorkeling and swimming closest to where the cruise ships dock? we will be in St. Martin in the morning until 5 pm. Thanks

The Little Switzerland store on Front Street carries Coach. It's a few minutes to the right, facing the Courthouse.

th_DSCN2553.jpgth_DSCN2554.jpg

(click)

Best/closest beach sounds like Dawn Beach, as long as the winds aren't too strong coming in from the Atlantic.

th_DSCF0347.jpg

(click)

More photos here and here.

gary

Archived