I will be 8 weeks pregnant when I go on my cruise in two weeks

smazerolle

I just recently found out that I am pregnant! Will I still be able to do a lot of activities on the ship? Should I cancel my Dunn's River Falls and River Tubing excursion with Phil??? This is my first cruise, and my first pregnancy, so I really don't know what to expect....Thank you!

Your best bet is to contact your physician and see what they recommend regarding the river tubing. If you're reasonably fit, you should be able to do the Falls.

Also... you won't be permitted to do any dolphin encounters. Dolphins can tell if a woman is pregnant, and sometimes give them extra attention. The dolphin swim operators state that pregnant women cannot participate for safety reasons, which may also be a concern-- some people might panic a bit if a dolphin starts chittering at them and prodding their belly. More likely however, is that it causes a disruption in the show :)

Congratulations! I agree about talking to your doctor. Personally, I would cancel those types of excursions. Even the falls, you could fall because it's slippery in some areas. Maybe I'm being too careful, but that's how I am. How about Sunset Beach? We're going to try it when we're in Jamaica. You will find many things to do that are not physical or dangerous. Maybe focus on beach bumming/swimming/shopping? Also-------very important: ask your doctor what sea sickness medications are safe for you, just in case.

PS......look for the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting." I read it when I was pregnant (17 years ago), but I believe they're still making updated versions. It goes month to month what to expect. WONDERFUL BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

I guess my opinions differ from those who have posted above. I was in Jamaica last week on Phil's tour doing tubing and Dunn River falls. I would NOT cancel your tour with Phil...you will totally enjoy most parts of the tour. The tubing should be absolutely no problem for someone eight weeks pregnant-if you are feeling well-it is not a rough white water tubing but mostly a gentle float down the river. The guides stay right with you and you can just relax. If your tube floats to the side of the river, you can just stay there and they will push you back out into the main river. The tubes have fiberglass bottoms in them so you are not actually in the water. I would say...go for it.

Dunn River Falls is completely another matter. I would NOT CLIMB Dunn River Falls, there is just too much risk of a nasty fall. You can pay the admission, ($10.00)and go into the park and walk down the stairs and even splash in the ocean or at the base of the falls.

Even if you do decide to not to do the tubing or not to go into the falls, I would still take Phil's tour. The $50.00 includes the tubing ($20.), the Dunn River Falls ($10.00) and $20.00 for Phil's tour. I would email Phil and ask, but you could likely evaluate things as you see them and decide which things you really want to do. Phil's tour is certainly worth the $20.00 and the restaurant he takes you to is great. If you have any further questions....post them and I'll try to answer them.

I have to agree about your plans to Climb Dunn's River Falls. Lots of folks come back with scrapes and bruises. However, there are cement stairs along side that you can walk down & up so you are not totally banned from the tour. The river tubing sounds gentle enough for your stage of pregnency. Congratulations and have a wonderful time with Phil.

Bon Voyage

Archived