Amsterdam

nordski

Hi

One of my guidebooks for Amsterdam, mentions the Poezenboot, a home for stray cats on the Singel. This might provide a respite for my wife from my passion for history and art.

Has anyone visited it? Is it a refreshingly eccentric experience?

Thanks

Perhaps the Van Loon Museum, a nicely renovated merchant's residence. Also the Willet-Holthuysen, another restored residence with a substantial collection of lady's fans. Nearby is the Museum of Purses, which is not on the Amsterdam pass. If there is an interest in hands-on science then NEMO near the harbor is a must. The nearby Maritime Museum is closed this year. The 'Beehive' Department store is worth a look. We enjoyed the food court on the upper floor.

WIT

Thanks Wit for the suggestions, especially the historic residences.

I hadn't really thought about those and we'll do some research on each. Somehow my love of staring at artefacts in a museum isn't as widely shared in my immediate family as I thought :).

However, she did enjoy the Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, and especially the domestic arrangements of Maria Theresa. Furthermore, there is an argument that the 17th Century Dutch women of the merchant class also played an important role in domestic history by clearly separating the family's home in a residence from the husband's office for business.

Perhaps those residences will reveal that division?

Archived