Sylvia Hotel in Vancouver

I have heard a lot of good things about the Sylvia Hotel on this board. I will be in Vancouver in August. Will I be able to catch the hop on hop off bus in that area. Are we in walking distance to downtown and is this area safe at night?

I have heard a lot of good things about the Sylvia Hotel on this board. I will be in Vancouver in August. Will I be able to catch the hop on hop off bus in that area. Are we in walking distance to downtown and is this area safe at night?

Not sure if HOHO buses run in that area, but you can just buy a city bus day pass for $9 which will take you ANYWHERE in Metro Vancouver (includes Skytrain and Seabus too). http://translink.bc.ca/

Longish walking distance to downtown (it's a 20 minute 15 block walk) but there are a ton of buses that run past there into 'downtown' (see above note about day passes on Translink). As for the area, yes, fairly safe, and there's a lot of activities and great restaurants on Denman Street. As the area is the old residential downtown area, there are a lot fewer tourists and a lot more 'local establishments'.

The Hop on hop off will stop just across the street from the Hotel - there are actually two hop on service providers in Vancouver - Vancouver trolley and Big Bus - they both will stop near your hotel. Just when in August will you be in Vancouver - if you are there the first week it will be very busy in that area as both the Fireworks competition and the Gay Pride parade take place.

There is also a free shuttle bus that circles Stanley Park that you can pick up after a short walk into the park

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

Checkout these links to help with your visit.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com and

http://www.bigbus.ca

http://www.englishbay.com

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

By mid- August the weather has generally started to cool down not that it gets that hot at any time - we might get a a half dozen days a year that air conditioning would be a nice thing - the Sylvia is right on the water and the on shore breeze usually picks up in the afternoon - we call it Mother's nature air conditioning - we also don't usually get humid.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

By mid- August the weather has generally started to cool down not that it gets that hot at any time - we might get a a half dozen days a year that air conditioning would be a nice thing - the Sylvia is right on the water and the on shore breeze usually picks up in the afternoon - we call it Mother's nature air conditioning - we also don't usually get humid.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you, for the info, you were a great help.

It is a lovely old hotel in a great location just off English Bay. I know that it has been in the same family's hands for at least 2 generations and I think more like 3. Be sure to ask them about the cat the used to reside there, Mr. Got to Go.

• 3 months later...
Three of us are booked for 2 nights in The Sylvia prior to a cruise in early September. Are there any nearby restaurant suggestions? I see that the Fish House in Stanley Park gets good raves. Thanks.

There's a ton of stuff on Denman street. Visit http://dinehere.ca/search.asp and expand the "Vancouver" selection to select "West End" (the area of the Silvia) and you'll find a ton of suggestions

Thanks Scott,

I've looked on Dine Here and see that there are a lot of restaurants close by. Do you local folks have any suggestions of West End restaurants where you've eaten and can recommend? Thanks

It really depends on what you want. If you're looking upscale, Parkside is hard to beat, but reservations are a must. If you're looking for something a little unusual, Banana Leaf Malaysian is one of my favorites.

I would agree with the assessment about the Sylvia being a great old hotel. It is a nice place, but keep in mind that it is old. So I guess the keyword would be that it has "ambiance." So if you're used to (or expecting) the latest and greatest in hotels, it's probably not going to be your place. Now, granted, I stayed there in the mid-90's, so I could be wrong about how up-to-date it is. But I really liked the area, and there were some nice restaurants and cafes within walking distance.

Thanks Rush & Putter,

We are aware of the age of The Sylvia. For two nights prior to a cruise, I think she will be just fine for us. We are hoping for a room on the top floor facing the bay.

The Boathouse is near the top of my list.

Beth

& your dining room at the hotel is just fine. Eggs benny in the morning were grreat. The Fish house you mention is a close walk into Stanley park and if you want to taste the BC experience, Rain City Grill and their monthly Sample menu's ( I think they still have them with accompanying wines)($$$$ however) if you walk the other way Putter dude would say East I'd say south :) Anyways Stanley Park is left out the front door and Denman and the restaurants is right. That's if you use the door on the Water side, :)

I'd also put in a word for the Parkside but it's a bit of a hike.

Thanks, y'all,

I appreciate all your restaurant suggestions. I am pretty good with maps (and have one of the area downloaded), so I think we can get around ok on foot.

We will be in Vancouver on Sept 7-9. Any ideas of how the weather might be that time of year? We will be in the 90s and high humidity back home, so I hope the weather in BC will be a bit cooler.

Beth

We often get some of our nicest weather in early September - expect daytime highs in the mid 60's to low 70's with cool evenings - humidity is rarely a factor here - a sweater or hoodie and an umbrella should be part of your packing list.

Hope you enjoy your stay in our great city

Cheers

Dennis

Archived