I finally dove into the DSLR pool!!!!

bakechef

Well I didn't think that I would have a new camera any time soon, as I didn't think that my budget would permit, but I found such a great deal on a previous generation model camera that I just couldn't pass it up.

I just today received my brand new Samsung Digimax GX IL (a clone of the Pentax *ist DL) I have had my eye on the Pentax K100D, because of all of the entry level DSLRs that I have handled, I like the feel of this camera the best, and Pentax has been reviewed very well. Well last weekend I was just researching DSLRs and decided to google Samasung DSLR, and this amazing deal popped up from a company that I have never heard of called Dollarrite, they had this camera brand new with a kit lens for $254.00 shipped (including promo code), I scoured the internet to see if there were any complaints about this company and there weren't, so I ordered. I received the camera today, and couldn't be more pleased with the purchase. This camera is being sold by a company on amazon for $649, and there is an *ist DL that is selling for $799 and 2 have sold in the last week at that price, so I feel that I got a great deal.

There are a couple of compromises that I made with this purchase, but for the price I feel that I can live with them, they are, lack of anti-shake, and no live view. I have found that even with my Canon S3 that I have been using the viewfinder more and more so the live view shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I can't wait to really get using this camera, but since we are in an unusual cold snap, and we haven't been above freezing for 2 days, the outdoor shooting is out for now!

Congratulations! I too jumped into the pool last year. Now get ready for a new obsession: lenses!:eek: As soon as I'm sure I have every thing I could possibly need, I see someone else's really cool photo with a special lens & I must have it!!!

Camera math...

Disposable Income = Camera Fund!

Congrats on the leap. Don't worry about live-view and hold your camera still. There! I solved your two concerns in one sentence! :D

Seriously, don't sweat the little stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people complain that if they just had this or that feature or lens, they could get great pictures. Here's some more simple equations:

Good Photographer + Any Camera = Good Pictures

Bad Photographer + Any Camera = Bad Pictures

You've posted some nice stuff with the S3, so spend your time taking pictures and concentrate on the Photographer side of the equation. That way you will spend less money and have more fun!

BTW, it was 7° when the picture below was taken...weather is no excuse! (Just remember to keep your spare batteries warm and put the camera in a ZipLock bag before you come back inside to keep the condensation off while it warms back up!) :D

medium.jpg

Congratulations and happy Shooting!

Dave

Thanks Dave, you echoed my thoughts on this camera. Yeah live view would have been a cool feature, but the price made up the difference.

I was more concerned with me having to stand in the cold!:D Since I left Maine 12 years ago, I have become quite a weather wimp!

• 4 weeks later...

I just dove in, too! I was going back and forth between a DSLR and the Panasonic FX28. Went to Costco the other day, and they had a good deal on the Nikon D60 and two VR lenses: 18-55 and 55-200. If the second lens hadn't been VR, too, I would have passed. Also picked up the Lowepro Slingshot 200 there today, too.

Took a few pictures of my DGS, strictly on auto, and loved that it came totally red-eye free! And he was looking right into the camera. I also loved the feel and the sound.

Now, I just have lots to learn before our April trip.

I just dove in, too! I was going back and forth between a DSLR and the Panasonic FX28. Went to Costco the other day, and they had a good deal on the Nikon D60 and two VR lenses: 18-55 and 55-200. If the second lens hadn't been VR, too, I would have passed. Also picked up the Lowepro Slingshot 200 there today, too.

Took a few pictures of my DGS, strictly on auto, and loved that it came totally red-eye free! And he was looking right into the camera. I also loved the feel and the sound.

Now, I just have lots to learn before our April trip.

Just wait until you start using the other dial modes after auto, that's where the fun begins! I have had so much fun learning the settings so that I can shoot with no flash!

I am having fun with bokeh now.

Now depth of field I know! I used a film SLR 25+ years ago, but can't remember a thing about it, but I do remember the term. How to do it is another story. Just spent the evening watching the instructional DVD on using the camera, and now I know bokeh!!

Can't wait to get outside to start shooting. Unfortunately, the weather is supposed to turn bad this weekend. I'll try to get some daylight tomorrow.

Thanks!

Congratulations! I too jumped into the pool last year. Now get ready for a new obsession: lenses!:eek: As soon as I'm sure I have every thing I could possibly need, I see someone else's really cool photo with a special lens & I must have it!!!

I'm a Nikonian (NAS) and use the D50. Next year I expect to purchase the D300. The lenses that I use are the Tamron 18-250 zoom which is awesome for traveling with, but it isn't the only lense I bring with me. The other lens is a Nikon Tokina 11-16mm with a 2.8 aperature throughout the range. This is an awesome extreme wide angle lens if you have any interest in wide angle.

I do have a lot to learn -- what the heck is bokeh? :confused:

Addendum to Roff's accurate answer:

"Boke" (pronounced bo-keh) is a Japanese word that roughly translates into "blur" or "fuzzy". A fairly new term (15-20 years) and is primarily used to confound the newbies in forums! :D

Just kidding! Roff's description covers it, but I'll add that it describes the quality of that "pleasing" effect and is therfore very subjective. Bottom line...do you like how the image looks?

This image isolates my grandaughter with depth-of-field and displays the bokeh of my 28-70 zoom.

medium.jpg

This is from my 100mm macro:

medium.jpg

Which do you like better? Is the blur from the zoom too "harsh"?

Dose the macro render the background "creamier"

Now we're all experts and can speak "Bokehnese"!

Dave

I have been messing around with an old manual focus 50mm from an old film SLR, it seems to give very pleasing bokeh especially when dialed down to f2.0, the lens is over 25 years old. Kinda cool that I am using a lens that my dad used to take pictures of me when I was a kid on a camera that is so much more high tech than the one he used, we couldn't have even imagined this technology back then.

Sorry, the promo code seems to have expired. But the current price of $289 with free shipping is still a great deal. The same exact camera with the pentax label (the *ist dl) is being sold at Amazon for $80 more.

I don't think that you will get into the DSLR game for any less than this and still get a brand new camera.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

thanks for the reply, bakechef.

i ordered it.

another question, what capacity SD card are you using and how many gigabyte SD card can this baby handle?

It accepts SD with no mention of SDHC. That will limit you to 2GB SD cards (Samsung only guaranteed up to 1GB, but there isn't any functional reason 2GB shouldn't work)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a new DSLR Camera Replacing a SLR (Minolta)

After Much resurch I chose the Sony A300 with 2 Lenes 18-55 and 75-300

Also Minilta sold out to Soney and the Lenses are exchanable

Also conparing to the Nicon D60 I found that the anti shake is only built into ther lenes

and the anti shake is built in to the Sony camera

I do have two Sony Suber shots (Old) DSC-S70 and a (Newer) DSC-W100

The Suport over the phone with Sony is Fantastic

Going to St. Louis this week end and will use the new camera for the first time Also in three weekes off to Hawaii R/T from San Diego

Cant wait to put the new camera to use

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

I just bought a new DSLR Camera Replacing a SLR (Minolta)

After Much resurch I chose the Sony A300 with 2 Lenes 18-55 and 75-300

Also Minilta sold out to Soney and the Lenses are exchanable

Also conparing to the Nicon D60 I found that the anti shake is only built into ther lenes

and the anti shake is built in to the Sony camera

I do have two Sony Suber shots (Old) DSC-S70 and a (Newer) DSC-W100

The Suport over the phone with Sony is Fantastic

Going to St. Louis this week end and will use the new camera for the first time Also in three weekes off to Hawaii R/T from San Diego

Cant wait to put the new camera to use

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Congrats. Sony and Pentax both build anti-shake in the camera bodies, to me this makes both of them a better value.

Take lots of pics in St. Louis so that you can get used to the camera and you will get some great shots in Hawaii!!

Archived