Cruise ends in San Juan - stay a day, or leave?

cl.klink

My wife and I, along with 6 kids and grandkids (ages 2-33), are going on AOS southern caribbean cruise in July, in and out of San Juan. I'm trying to decide if we will fly out on the day of disembarkation, or if we stay a day and fly out following day. We already fly into San Juan the day before the cruise, but we arrive late that night and I'm not sure we will have had much chance to see OSJ etc before getting on the ship the next day. I'm thinking logistics might be easier if when we get off the ship in San Juan, we stay and relax a day, and fly out first thing next morning?

Comments?

I would definitely stay. We spent two days pre-cruise and 3 days post-cruise and loved it there. We stayed at the Embassy Suites and at the Hampton Inn. Both were nice, right on the bus line, and close to the beach. We love walking around Old San Juan and there are several tours you can arrange through the hotel. Have fun!

Linda

By all means stay. OSJ is very historic dating back to the 1600's. The old forts alone are worth the time to visit and are maintained by the NPS. Walking around OSJ viewing the shops, stopping to sample the food and taking in the atmosphere are very much worth the time. If you stay in Condado or airport area, just take the bus down to OSJ. The bus terminal is in OSJ and is very reasonably priced.

I would not pay for a tour of OSJ. They have two trolly routes through OSJ and they are free. Go to the visitor's center near the piers and get a map and information. It is very easy to do your own tour walking or riding the free trolly. It makes for a very inexpensive day.

If it's possible to stay, absolutely stay. San Juan is one of my favourite places. You probably won't get to see much the day you arrive so definitely stay a day or two afterwards if you can.

em

It's funny that you brought this up now - I just got off the phone with AA to see how much it would cost to change our tickets from Sunday (our disembarkment day on the Caribbean Princess) to Monday. Our tickets would cost $250 less to fly out on Monday. However, it would cost us $300 to change our flight, so not worth it to us.:( Next time out of San Juan I will definitely plan that extra day. Having an extra day on the beach with a relaxed dinner at night in OSJ would be so much better than stressing about a possible delayed disembarkment and catching a noon flight on a busy day at the airport! If you haven't already made your flight plans, stay the extra day. What you spend in hotel would probably be saved in airline fees anyway.:D

Archived