To all northern cruisecritic members,I see the need to cruise!!

airlink diva

We're having a heat wave in Chicago. It's actually ABOVE zero!

We know exactly how you feel!! This weather has been brutal - even for those of us used to Illinois. A question for you fellow 'northerners, experienced cruisers, where should we cruise for our 40th anniversary in October? We have only been on one cruise in our life - last year in the Caribbean. We loved it; but I think in October maybe somewhere else? Appreciate any suggestions. Salzburg Duo:)

Salzburg, you could try a Mexican Sea of Cortez cruise. It's warm there, although I didn't find the snorkeling as good as in the Caribbean. There are other activities though, there's good whale watching, sightseeing, horseback riding, etc.

I would love a cruise right now - it's been colder, snowier, and icier here than it's been in many years at this same time. Every night I get home from work and put on my gas fire in the fireplace to warm up.

We're having a heat wave in Chicago. It's actually ABOVE zero!

Last week we decided to try and adopt a puppy from a rescue group. If successful, we're going to call him "Zero" to reflect the temperature it hit that night.

Next xruise isn't until July :(; but we're driving to Myrtle Beach in April :)

I'm so sick of the endless snowing. We never have this in our neck of the woods!

When last night's storm ended I went to brush off the car, and I ordered the snow in the driveway to begone! when I get back from the Noordam. I want to see blacktop!!!

So, the next storm started a little later. :rolleyes:

According to our local weatherman, Southern New England is getting hit by a series of "Alberta Clippers", small, fast moving storms that race out of Canada, bringing the cold air with them. This is all due to the current pattern of the Jet Stream.

There seem to be two alternatives to this pattern; one keeps all the storms that run up the coast bending out to sea south of Long Island, the other is to bring a Nor-Easter right in on top of us . . .

We were in Alaska in June,2004, and they had a heat wave., It was over 90 every single day we were there, a b2b cruise. There was no place to buy any shorts. But, that's most unusual.

We were in Alaska at the end of June that year, and it had exceeded 80 degrees for a week in Juneau; I had to buy extra tee-shirts. Loved every minute of it, and we're going back in this July.

Just west of Boston...6 inches yesterday.....and we woke up to another 4 inches overnight!

No cruises planned right now! Our first granddaughter was born in July and they live in Louisiana so we have been traveling there recently. :)

I need a CRUISE! Even a short weekend cruise, too bad HAL does not do these short cruises. I have been looking at NCL or RCCL for a weekend cruise. The prices are so affordable. But and its a big BUT, airline prices are higher than the cruise itself. What's a girl to do???? :(

Keep looking and keep dreaming of a cruise.

Happy cruising to all who are headed out to sea away from this dastardly cold. :)

Kathy

I live outside of Detroit, and yes, it is cold and we have had our fair share of snow. However, that is what I expect. It is Michigan and this is where we choose to live and we happen to love it!!!! Would I want to live in the cold 12 months of the year? NO!!!! However, I love the seasons and the variety they offer to life. The sledding, snowman building, snow fort building, outdoor skating, skiing, ice sculpture displays etc. are all my wonderful winter memories of living and growing up in this great state. Each season in Michigan gives me other great memories. I love it!!! I will love Spring, Summer (if it isn't too hot) and Fall!!! If I wake up each morning and can get out of bed, it is a great day!!!!

Go glad to be in Florida. Wish you all could be here also:)

No, thank you!! I'd rather be in a place with 4 seasons and low humidity. It's been above normal temps here the past 10 days with highs around 50 and lows in the 20's. Our local ski area (elev. 10,500 to 12,000 ft, so it's colder up there) has a 62" base and is having a wonderful year. I spent 4 months in Tampa one summer and the only reason I go back to FL is to board a ship.

Five degrees this morning, 19 this afternoon, snowing since last year, and this afternoon, we caught "Cruise Bunny" swooshing on the back deck. No joke!!! Cruise Bunny has travelled with us on most of our cruises, and is always present at our Cruise Critic get-togethers for identification purposes.;) His normal attire is flip-flops, sun glasses, shorts, tropical shirt, and a Panama hat. Can't figure out where he got those skis!:eek:

snowbunny006_edited.jpg.7780bfd3d2cd426dca1d22b0b13b6e61.jpg

snowbunny005_edited.jpg.805a87c592a04674afc45ad4fd0adca5.jpg

snowbunny002_edited.jpg.4e7d8d1a13c3eaff70a04d4e4bbf6c13.jpg

I'm back at home now!! At least it's in the mid 30's and no snow!! My sister-in-law has a good sense of humor and look at clearing the walkway in the front and back of the house as good exercise. Frankly I was glad to see no snow!! In the early 90's I worked in Yellowstone and we got a foot of snow in mid July and I freaked out. I'm a just a southern gal!!

But to reward myself for the three days of snow and since I can't rush the fall of 2010 anytime soon, I'm booked on a five day cruise in May :D (sorry not on HAL since they don't offer short cruises, but I'm coming back)!

While I was on the plane, I was listening to a woman seated behind me. Her son and his wife flies her to Dearborn every year in January so they can take a cruise (she watch the grandkids), I wanted to laugh when she say that this is the only way that her son agree to live up north, he need at least one week of sunburn,tropical drinks and sea salt!!

Happy sailing!!!

Glad you got some relief! We were cold here this week when the temp at night dropped to the mid 50's. We had to wear socks!

I know this does not sound too tragic, but I am making up for my years in Montana.:eek:

Archived