getting from Whittier to Anchorage

bluenoser2

We've booked a northbound on Sapphire Princess from Vancouver and are wondering about getting from Whittier to Anchorage once we get there. What is the best/most economical way to do this? If we book a transfer ourselves, should we be booking it far in advance? Are they reliable? What's our best choice - there's so many different services I've seen online that I'm confused. Will they drop us off at our hotel or is there a central place that they stop in downtown Anchorage? We have our hotel booked already.

I'm cruising this same itinerary this summer, and we've booked the transfer directly through Princess. I've been told it's a 1-2 hour drive depending on traffic, and for the $54 it cost us (each), it's well worth not having to deal with figuring out something else. They'll tell us the night before what time we're departing, the bus meets us at the pier, and that's that.

Check into Alaskan Leopard. They run a somewhat corny "comedy shuttle". I think their Whittier route stops at Portage Glacier. They will drop you off wherever you want in ANC. We used them from Seward and they were great!

Girdwood Shuttle. They had a coupon in the Toursaver book.

When I called they were excellent to deal with and sent me my confirmation within a few minutes of me booking. Seemed like nice people.

Hopefully, they work out well.

We too are taking a Princess one-way cruise but going Southbound. When I spoke with a representative at Princess she said there is a motorcoach for 54.00 per person and also the train, run by Princess, 89.00 per person. Having had to take a motorcoach on 2 other occasions (different cruise lines) and having them break down and nearly missing the cruise, we are opting for the train.

We are booked with Alaskan Transportation shuttle. They have been very pleasanat to deal with - even from Australia. We are going to take a 6 hour Prince William Sound glacier tour when we leave the ship and then catch the shuttle. We really wanted to visit the Wildlife Conservation Centre and this shuttle includes a Visit to Wildlife Conservation Centre and stops at Beluga Point and Portage Glacier along the way. They will drop us right at our hotel in Anchorage. The price and itinerary suits our family.

We would like to take the train but if I'm looking at the Alaskan RR website correctly, it doesn't leave Whittier until 18:45. I don't think there's enought to do to stay around Whittier for the day with our luggage.

You can take a glacier cruise and luggage is minded for you by the company.

Princess will deliver your luggage to the ARR Depot for you. Just contact a Princess worker in the Whitter Terminal and they can get you ARR Luggage Claim Tags. When you get off the train in Anchorage you will be directed to the luggage claim area.

We would like to take the train but if I'm looking at the Alaskan RR website correctly, it doesn't leave Whittier until 18:45. I don't think there's enought to do to stay around Whittier for the day with our luggage.

I also am looking at the Railroad to leave Whittier and too see that it doesn't leave until 6:45pm. The railroad train does look nice and more enjoyable than a bus. I am just now trying to see what we could do from when we get off the ship until 6:45pm, any suggestions on things to do. I have seen a few glacier cruises from Whittier for the day but one doesn't get back until 6:30p so I would be afraid we would miss the train.

We too are taking a Princess one-way cruise but going Southbound. When I spoke with a representative at Princess she said there is a motorcoach for 54.00 per person and also the train, run by Princess, 89.00 per person. Having had to take a motorcoach on 2 other occasions (different cruise lines) and having them break down and nearly missing the cruise, we are opting for the train.

The regular daily train departs Anchorage at 10:00 and arrives in Whittier at 12:05 for $65/pp. Perhaps Princess is running a later train, but it isn't worth $24/pp more, in my opinion. http://www.akrr.com/

Princess train leaves Anchorage at 4:15 and arrives in Whittier at 6:30. The train run by Alaska travel bureau leaves at 10:00 and gets into Whittier about 12:15. It is 25.00 less than Princess BEFORE taxes, etc, Princess is 89.00 pp Alaska T. 65.00 pp plus taxes. There are also motorcoaches offered by both Alaska Travel, Princess and various other places. Princess is 54.00 pp the others vary. Also depending on what time/day you are getting to Anchorage would make a difference. The Alaska train leaves downtown only once a day, 10:00 am. If you are arriving that morning you would have to get a taxi to take you to the train about 7 miles away, that cost is 25.00.

Princess train leaves Anchorage at 4:15 and arrives in Whittier at 6:30. The train run by Alaska travel bureau leaves at 10:00 and gets into Whittier about 12:15. It is 25.00 less than Princess BEFORE taxes, etc, Princess is 89.00 pp Alaska T. 65.00 pp plus taxes. There are also motorcoaches offered by both Alaska Travel, Princess and various other places. Princess is 54.00 pp the others vary. Also depending on what time/day you are getting to Anchorage would make a difference. The Alaska train leaves downtown only once a day, 10:00 am. If you are arriving that morning you would have to get a taxi to take you to the train about 7 miles away, that cost is 25.00.

I'll repeat what I said before: the price of the Alaska Railroad's one-way train ticket from Downtown Anchorage to Whittier at 10:00 a.m.-12:05 p.m. is $65.00/adult - and that includes any taxes. http://www.alaskarailroad.com/arrc18.html The Alaska travel bureau doesn't run any trains - they merely sell tickets.

If you arrive in Anchorage a day or more before the ship sails, then there is no need to wait for the more expensive Princess train at 4:15 unless you have specific sightseeing plans in Anchorage. If you take the morning train or shuttle bus to Whittier, you would have time for an afternoon glacier tour in Prince William Sound before the ship sails.

Archived