Television on Emerald

abschnick

Thanks for posting the pictures, I had heard they were putting in the View Sonic but with the pictures I was trying to identify which one. I want to look up the features to see what it is capable of...

Alan

The picture quality isn't much better than the old standard TV's but that's probably due to the signal they're feeding them but it saves them considerable weight & power requirements so it'll pay for itself in the long run. At least it allows you to plug in you camcorder or view photo's if you have a cable to feed it. What I like is that you get to use the extra power outlet & shelf area for charging things.

Regarding the power outlet, I have always taken a small power tap with me with a 6' cord so that I could use the extra power receptacle for battery chargers, etc.

I think we will see them convert the TV distrubution system on the ship from analog to digital at some time in the future and at time the picture will be much clearer.

Alan

They get there signal through commercial satellite companies such as Intelsat and yes, it is digital, but because of the analog sets they have had, they upconverted the signal to analog. Now they have to put in a digital distribution system to send over there cable system using one of the new digital technologies used by cable TV [QAM] or off the air television [8VSB]

Alan

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

Thanks for the description of the LCD TVs and the photos... very helpful!

I have two video iPods with all sorts of movies and TV shows on the converted to MP4. Normally when we travel I plug them into the TVs in hotel rooms we stay in, just as you would a portable DVD player, and presto, we have plenty of movies, and TV shows to watch while drifting off to sleep!

Anyway, the photos in the links above show the back of the TVs on Emerald have several sets of audio ports, but I don't see any video ports. Normally there would be white, red and yellow ports to plug in audio (white/red) and video (yellow).

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the video connection is? Is it a yellow connection similar to the white/red audio ports, or is it S-video or some other type?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

Archived