How much MORE did Custom Air Cost? Beware, Is it a Ripe-off?

NHRAgroup - No, I didn't read too many post. The C&A wording has changed in the last couple of years and gets very confusing. Where I was once a Silver member, I am now at the same level yet it is called Gold. I was thinking that Platinum and Diamond were the same...sorry. No, I do not have stock in RCCL, you have been reading too many post.icon_biggrin.gif

We booked our trip for this coming September, last October (almost 11 months early). Just sounds to me that you got some bad information. While the cruiseline air does normally include transfers, we are flying in a day ahead and flying out two days late, so we will not have transfer benefits.

You sure got your documents early, however, I believe I read where documents are sent out earlier if you have a flight booked through RCCL. Normally, it is two weeks.

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

You had to pay for air fees charged by the airlines. The cruise lines only have so many seats that they can book in a certain class of service after that is gone they have to move you up which the airlines call a bump up fee. They charge the cruiseline so the cruiseline has to charge you. If you had done the custom air when you first booked you may have been able to avoid those charges.

rcicruiser

When we started cruising about 30 years ago, we almost always used cruise line arranged air. It used to be a bargain. This all changed a few years back, and now we never use cruise line air (even though we can get free custom air). We always can save money doing our own air, and we have the ability to choose our flights, reserve our seats, and get our FF miles. Even on our upcoming Princess cruise/tour where we have to fly into Bangkok and home from Beijing, we were able to save about $400 and get perfect connections by doing our own air. As to those who worry about missing the ship, our answer is to always fly-in at least one day prior to any cruise. This gives us a chance to rest up, get on the ship early, and usually recover lost baggage before we get on a ship!

Hank

Hlitner

Thanks for your insight, it was great to hear some good sides for us to do our own air, from now on, we will save more then money in most cases, I rather go the day before and get on the ship early in the day rather then just before sailing. I'm hooked on RCCI, but I think I may want to also try another line next time. I love to cruise, but hate getting the wrong info from the cruise line as I did tring to use the custom air from the beginning when I first booked our cruise, It looks like the OLD saying is correct, if you want it done right, do it your self. Thanks again for you comments.

Rhapsody of the Seas 04-04

Navigator of the Seas 05-03

Adventure of the Seas 04-02

Nordic Empress 04-02

Grandeur of the Seas 10-00

Majesty of the Seas 09-98

Sovereign of the Seas 08-96

NHRAgroup - With the exception of the above mentioned open jaw trip to Hawaii, we have always booked our own air. I am a firm believer that it is the best way to go most of the time. We fly in a day early and fly out a day late.

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

Archived