Skagway Excursion

tvisser

I notice that the Radiance of the Seas is scheduled to arrive in Skagway at 7AM and the train leaves at 7:30 AM. Does that give you enough time to get to the train if you book this excursion independently?

The ships always say that they get to Skagway at 7 but in reality they get there some time between 3 and 6 a.m. - you have lots of time.

You can rent a car from Avis in Skagway for ~ $100/day or a little less. Make an advance reservation, as they do run out of cars.

We did a rail/bus tour to the Yukon in 2007 with Chilkoot Charters, and we're doing the longer rail/bus tour to Carcross in May with the same company: http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

I spoke with this tour company today for about 30 min. If they deliver half of what they say the trip will be wothwhile. The 9 hour trip bypasses the museum and dog sled but it sounds like the dog sled is on wheels so not too interested in that. Nancy, let us know how about this trip? I will be there mid June.

I spoke with this tour company today for about 30 min. If they deliver half of what they say the trip will be wothwhile. The 9 hour trip bypasses the museum and dog sled but it sounds like the dog sled is on wheels so not too interested in that. Nancy, let us know how about this trip? I will be there mid June.

I'll be back from the cruise May 31, so look for a trip report in early June.

Has anyone gotten any prices from the Chilkoot Charters? I can't find any prices on their website.

Is there snow at the beginning of May? I just plan on bringing tennis shoes with sock warmers and some wool socks for the days it will be cold. I really don't want to lug the ski boots ( that will keep my feet warm in a blizzard). Also, don't want to be wearing tennis shoes and get sopping wet either.

I see the post about the dog sled being on wheels.... so for those that might have done this or know about it, is this even close to what you would feel like behind a sled?

Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone gotten any prices from the Chilkoot Charters? I can't find any prices on their website.

Is there snow at the beginning of May? I just plan on bringing tennis shoes with sock warmers and some wool socks for the days it will be cold. I really don't want to lug the ski boots ( that will keep my feet warm in a blizzard). Also, don't want to be wearing tennis shoes and get sopping wet either.

I see the post about the dog sled being on wheels.... so for those that might have done this or know about it, is this even close to what you would feel like behind a sled?

Thanks for sharing.

You don't need ski boots, but you will want waterproof shoes. I brought my New Balance walking shoes that I sprayed with waterproofing stuff, but I also brought waterproof Merrill hiking boots.

You're right - there are no prices on Chilkoot Charters' web site. I know that the 9-hour rail/bus excursion to Carcross is $228/pp because that's what I booked. I think the 7.5-hour Yukon rail/bus excursion with dog cart ride is $206/pp, and less without it.

Thanks for sharing.

Our 2009 discounted shore excursion prices:

BUS & RAIL EXCURSIONS

White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion (3.5 Hours)

$122.00 Adult $78.00 Child (12 & Under)

White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion With Gold Panning (4 Hours)

$143.00 Adult $100.00 Child (12 & Under)

Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion (7 Hours-lunch included)

$175.00 Adult $120.00 Child (12 & Under)

Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion With 15 Minute Dogsled Ride(7 Hours-lunch

included)

$206.00 Adult $153.00 Child (12 & Under)

Carcross Bus & Rail Excursion (9 Hours)

$228 Adult $152.00 Child (12 & Under) Plus 5% sales tax.

BUS ONLY EXCURSIONS

White Pass Summit & City Excursion (2.5 Hours-by bus only)

$46 Adult $41 Child (12 & Under)

White Pass Summit & City Excursion With Gold Panning (3 Hours-by bus only)

$69 Adult $63 Child (12 & Under)

Discover The Yukon Adventure (6 Hours-by bus only)

$98.00 Adult $82.00 Child (12 & Under)

Discover The Yukon Adventure With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride (6 Hours-by bus

only)

$131 Adult $115 Child (12 & Under)

FISHING CHARTERS

Halibut Charter (8 Hours)

$315 Adult $315 Child (12 & Under)

Salmon Charter (4 Hours)

$174.25 Adult $142.75 Child (12 & Under)

Courtesy transportation is provided to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions.

Reservations may be made by visiting our web site at www.alaskatoursales.com and completing our online reservation form. Once we receive a reservation request, we will respond with an email confirmation that includes meeting and pickup instructions.

Regards,

Kathy Pierce

CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS

Skagway, Alaska

Archived