Vs

brian_uk

On out TA to Miami in Nov a couple who had the Vista suite actually went out wandering the ship looking for a place to sleep. It was a bit on the rough side and the banging from the bow hitting the waves was incredible. I think they slept at least one night in the library chairs.

We saw their room(s) on a cabin crawl and it was surely beautiful, but they weren't happy.....On the other hand we slept like babies in our 4th floor inside cabin. We could still hear the banging but it was greatly minimized as was the motion.

Mo

Hi Brian,

I'm one half of the "wandering couple" that Mo mentioned:) We were in 6003, which is the Starboard VS.

It's not totally accurate that we slept elsewhere due to the noise, although it wasn't for lack of trying:rolleyes: If you're not doing a TransAtlantic, I don't think you need to worry about the noise level. I think the noise problem was due to the ship hitting the waves head on and the resulting sound of that impact against the hull. Very loud, and of course a lot of motion. So if you're at all prone to motion sickness, that's not the cabin for you. The waves were equally as high from Bermuda to Miami, but since we where sailing "with" the waves there was no noise.

We did hear the band when they were playing in the Ship's Lounge, which was directly below us. It didn't bother us, however, since it was fairly muted and ended by 10PM.

Those are the negatives, but we still really enjoyed the cabin. Lot's of space to entertain new friends, a butler that we did not work hard enough:D and lots of other goodies. One thing that we enjoyed immensely that was a surprise was a special "dining under the stars" for all of the VS and OS occupants. This was held on the deck and was cooked by the head chef and served by the head waiter, with wines poured by the head sommelier. Really special.

Sorry, I can't speak to the OS, but they are located aft so would not experience the same issues as we did.

We've occupied both an OS and a VS. The former twice with the latest adventure being the BA to Valpo. run over Xmas/New Years. We were in 6088. The latter was a LA to Miami run through the Canal. We were in 7004.

We found that when the wind is blowing sharply across the bow, one can experience a lot of motion. We never found any "noise" loud enough to keep us awake. Then again, DW could sleep on the tarmac at Heathrow. I'm not that lucky. Regarding dropping/weighing of the anchor, yes it can be very loud, but we don't sleep in. Never really bothered us.

Regarding the OS, it's a magnificent suite. We did have several nights where the ship was cruising at just about max. speed, so we did get some vibration, but not enough to matter.

Both suites have plenty of living space. DW, who has limited mobility, found the front bathroom easier to access. The main bathroom has handles on the tub for those who need them. The bathtub contains a jacuzzi, which got plenty of use.

In addition to the special on deck dinner, and it was great, we had the pleasure of dining with the General Manager. There are a few extra perks being in an OS or VS.

Unless one really likes the extra, large veranda, I'd go with a VS on Deck 7. Then again, it all depends on whether noise and motion would be a problem. You can't go wrong with either one.

On our upcoming Caribbean sailing, we again have a deck 7 OS.

The bathtub contains a jacuzzi, which got plenty of use.
In any cabin/suite on any ship, and hotel rooms on land as well, unless it is brand new, we will use the shower (water runs down and away) and not the tub (so many people lie in them). This is especially so for a jacuzzi tub (with accumulation of previous "materials" inside). So a tub/shower in any public room will be used as a shower, it is safer that way!

In any cabin/suite on any ship, and hotel rooms on land as well, unless it is brand new, we will use the shower (water runs down and away) and not the tub (so many people lie in them). This is especially so for a jacuzzi tub (with accumulation of previous "materials" inside). So a tub/shower in any public room will be used as a shower, it is safer that way!

Aren't the tubs cleaned everyday both on cruiseships and in hotels??:confused:

Yes, but the cleaning is superficial, I don't believe they are completely disinfected. The worst cases are the jacuzzis, the pipes inside will contain residues from other occupants before you. That is why we enjoy baths at home, and only once used it in a brand new hotel.

The jacuzzis are cleaned every day that they are used. With water running OUT of the jets, I just don't see the concern. And if one is paranoid about a jacuzzi, what about the hot tubs on deck?

If one doesn't have open cut, sores, etc., don't sweat the small stuff. I'm more concerned about pax. who don't cover their nose & mouth properly when they sneeze. Happened all the time on our holiday sailing.

How on earth did this digress from Noise to bleach...........just goes to show.

My problem is that with the further collapse of the £uk today this is all beginning to look too expensive compared to the last 4 years.

We will have to think again.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the price Nothing really..Basically the interiors are the same..but OS at aft of ship..have larger balconies. they are alot more private ( but that is my opinion)....the forward VS esp. on deck 6 are not private as the crew works in front of the cabins and you may find that you have to keep your drapes closed alot for privacy... also they request that you keep the drapes closed at night ( something about lights disturbing the bridge or something like that).. I love to keep my doors open at night to listen to the crashing waves and for the fabulous air.

Archived