Buenes Aires and Ushuaia questions

einsteinsmom

Hello,

We are in the process of booking an Antarctic cruise for Nov 2009. Just curious what most people found easiest- staying overnight in BA or just passing through?

If you stay overnight, any easy to reach hotels to recommend? Any ideas on what to see in BA?

If passing through...how much time to allow between flights?

Another question, H2SO4, I see you used a travel agent in BA? How did you go about doing that?

For Ushuaia- If we arrive a couple of days early, are there fun things to do? I will be travelling with 2 of my kids...ages 12 and 14 at the time.

Thanks for your help,

Kristy

I did considerable research on the Fodor's Latin America Board where I found several recommendations re: local travel agents in BsAs. Sent emails to two of them and received responses immediately, after that, it was just a matter of decising who to work with. I wanted to use a local agent primarily for the purpose of getting a better deal on domestic airfare (saved about 2/3s of what we would have otherwise paid). That said, I understand local agents can no longer get the lower prices they used to be able to for non-residents. You can also check TripAdvisor for recommendations as well.

Since we knew we would have to switch airports, we gave ourselves plenty of time (about 5 hours) between flights. Glad we did ... had to deal with submitting paperwork for delayed bag and get local currency before we left the international airport - both took a while to do. Then, it was about an hour's drive to the domestic airport. The check-in lines at the domestic airport were long - luckily we had checked in before leaving home and could by pass these and go directly to the web check-in counter.

Especially with kids, recommend a cruise on the Beagle Channel to see wildlife ... they might also find the Museo Maritimo interesting since it is housed in the old prison. A trip out to Tierra del Fuego could be interesting if they enjoy being out in nature.

I did an extra night in BA in both directions. Stayed at the Sheraton each time. It is not to far from the local airport and for me was worth it. Had a good meal in a steak house and was able to relax between flights. Met people in the airports that were doing it all in one stretch. Caught up with them in Ushuaia where I also spent an extra two nights on the way to but not on the way back.

Thanks, robert2005, that might be a good bet for us as well. We plan to add a few extra days on the beginning and have been toying with the idea of one on the way back.

After reading H2SO4's reviews here and on Fodor's- it seems the extra time will be worth it in the hopes that luggage will all be there!

Is there just the one Sheraton? It is close to the airport that the flights to and from Ushuaia go from?

Kristy

The Sheraton I stayed at is near where the cruise ships dock. There are actually two Sheratons next to each other , a regular and a deluxe. When going from BA to Ushuaia I caught the first direct flight of the morning. Many people talked of delays with their flights. I had no problem and arrived early, got a cab to hotel and had breakfast at the hotel.. The hotel I stayed had a shuttle to town. Sometimes I took shuttle sometimes cab. Eating in town was better than hotel. Also took a boat trip from town I have a short review of my trip on Ocean Nova posted as well. I was very happy with Quark. I went as a single paying extra to have cabin to myself.

AS to BA it is a great city and worth the time.

Buenos Aires is certainly a city worth your consideration for spending a couple of days either pre or post cruise. It's a city that is more reminicent of Europe, with its Italian and French architecture and wide boulevards. For the most part, it's an upscale city with friendly people.

Since you're traveling with children, consider staying in an aparthotel rather than in a single hotel room. There are many to choose from...we're planning to stay in one in Recoleta with another couple pre-cruise next February. The cost is less than a regular hotel, and we'll have an apartment with 900 square feet of space, and all the amenities of the usual hotels.

Have a great time, and know tha BA is definitely a city that you will enjoy.

Mary

Archived