How to cut your bar bill. (or how to be Miserable)

Tap water: Free

Bottled water: $4:00

Television: Free

Cable: $40.00

Radio: Free

Satelite: $15.00

Chevrolet: $17,000

Ferrari: $250,000.00

Isn't it great to live in the free world and make the choice?

Bottle of vin ordinaire at my grocery $10 ($2.50 per glass) and they made a profit on it. Same bottle in local restaurant yesterday $20 ($5.00 per glass) and they have high overhead and under paid wait staff Bottle of same wine on board ship $30 ($7.50 per glass) and up. I've made my choice.

• 1 month later...
Whoa!

That heading seems to attract a lot of readers!

Here's a new one on me - after 20+ cruises I'm never surprised at the new ways cruise companies find to increase their onboard revenues but this month on the Celebrity Century they got me!

I bought a beer at the sailaway - $6. OK I was thirsty and what the hell we're on board and leaving Miami - let's party! (We can share a bottle). I was expecting the usual 15% gratuity on top and sure enough it was there when I signed the tab. So now we're up to $6.90 - fair enough, steep but what the hell! When the charge is applied to my account, it has magically increased to $7.38.

Now I didn't get where I am today (broke!) by complaining about an extra 48 cents but since I was at the front desk (or whatever its called) querying another and more substantial incorrect charge that had been applied to my account I raised the matter of the extra 48 cents.

Tax was the answer. We were still in US waters and so tax was applied.

So next time you are tempted to have a Bahamarama Mamatini Colada or whatever, wait until the sailaway party is over!

I wonder if the Feds ever see that 48 cents?

I won't complain about $6 for a beer when I'm on vacation... The new Amway Arena here in Orlando charges $9.75 EVERYDAY!!! That hurts!

Archived