How to cut your bar bill. (or how to be Miserable)

Whoa!

That heading seems to attract a lot of readers!

Here's a new one on me - after 20+ cruises I'm never surprised at the new ways cruise companies find to increase their onboard revenues but this month on the Celebrity Century they got me!

I bought a beer at the sailaway - $6. OK I was thirsty and what the hell we're on board and leaving Miami - let's party! (We can share a bottle). I was expecting the usual 15% gratuity on top and sure enough it was there when I signed the tab. So now we're up to $6.90 - fair enough, steep but what the hell! When the charge is applied to my account, it has magically increased to $7.38.

Now I didn't get where I am today (broke!) by complaining about an extra 48 cents but since I was at the front desk (or whatever its called) querying another and more substantial incorrect charge that had been applied to my account I raised the matter of the extra 48 cents.

Tax was the answer. We were still in US waters and so tax was applied.

So next time you are tempted to have a Bahamarama Mamatini Colada or whatever, wait until the sailaway party is over!

I wonder if the Feds ever see that 48 cents?

I agree and save enough pennies so that I can enjoy a bottle of wine and beer (or two or three!!), however I fail to see why its so expensive, after all the ingredients of beer are Water, malted barley, hops and yeast, not exactly expensive ingredients, and its mass produced and bought in bulk etc etc. so why the need to rip us off so massively. A ridiculous profit per unit !! Cruises are expensive enough without taking the pee charging 7 dollars plus for one beer. :eek:

As long as the ship is docked at a domestic port, applicable taxes will be collected.

As for the high price of drinks...and going up.....it's simply a part of trying to raise money to keep everything afloat.

Another reason why alcohol smugglers who think they are so cool affect those of us who abide by the rules........

Whoa!

That heading seems to attract a lot of readers!

Here's a new one on me - after 20+ cruises I'm never surprised at the new ways cruise companies find to increase their onboard revenues but this month on the Celebrity Century they got me!

I bought a beer at the sailaway - $6. OK I was thirsty and what the hell we're on board and leaving Miami - let's party! (We can share a bottle). I was expecting the usual 15% gratuity on top and sure enough it was there when I signed the tab. So now we're up to $6.90 - fair enough, steep but what the hell! When the charge is applied to my account, it has magically increased to $7.38.

Now I didn't get where I am today (broke!) by complaining about an extra 48 cents but since I was at the front desk (or whatever its called) querying another and more substantial incorrect charge that had been applied to my account I raised the matter of the extra 48 cents.

Tax was the answer. We were still in US waters and so tax was applied.

So next time you are tempted to have a Bahamarama Mamatini Colada or whatever, wait until the sailaway party is over!

I wonder if the Feds ever see that 48 cents?

Great post.... and very applicable. I just came off the Celebrity Solstice and observed exactly the same thing in regard to drink prices.

I live my life according principles and, based on that, I cannot - and never will - allow myself to buy ONE beer for $7.38 when I can buy a case (24)for 13.99 at any supermarket (that's about .56 cents each). It's that simple.

I don't care that "I'm out to sea so I have no choice..." or "I'm on vacation...so what the hell..." or "this is how it is, so waddaya gonna do?..." whatever... I DO have a choice and I'm VERY aware where my money goes, at all times.

I don't mind paying certain mark-ups for things, but $7.38 for something that costs the cruiseline probably .30 wholesale is absolutely ridiculous. I would never support and encourage that.

- Rick

Great post Mr. Miserable. I was surprised on my first cruise when they charged tax for our drinks.

Rick: (With deepest respect)

Does that mean you don't buy drinks onboard, at local bars, restaurants, games, etc?

I totally agree drinks are more expensive than you can buy them for at a supermarket, but when you are on board, besides smuggling, do we really have a choice? How do you combat the outrageous prices at venues?

Great post Mr. Miserable. I was surprised on my first cruise when they charged tax for our drinks.

Rick: (With deepest respect)

Does that mean you don't buy drinks onboard, at local bars, restaurants, games, etc?

I totally agree drinks are more expensive than you can buy them for at a supermarket, but when you are on board, besides smuggling, do we really have a choice? How do you combat the outrageous prices at venues?

Hi mom2NnB... :)

I actually just give myself a threshold for things (price-wise) and don't go above that threshold. For example, I think $3.00 is reasonable for a beer when I go out somewhere - considering their overhead and operating costs - so I find places that have happy-hours or specials or 2-for-1s... etc. For example, there are several clubs here that serve $2.00 bar drinks on Fri/Sat nights up until midnight. Of course, most people get there after midnight. You can bet I get there around 10:30-11:00... :). I'd rather make it an earlier night and get home by 2am anyway instead of partying all night til 5am... so it works out well...

At games (baseball, football, and hockey), I may get a drink... no big deal whether I do or don't for that 2 1/2 hours... but if I do, I weigh the cost value of the drink and see if they're trying to gouge people or not. If they are, I won't buy it... again, I don't support that and won't encourage it. I'm perfectly fine drinking water or not drinking at all.

I've never bought a coffee at Starbucks. Do you believe that? There's no way I would ever ask for a SMALL coffee (oh, i'm sorry, a "medi half-calf latte mocha"... whatever...heh) and have the 17-year-old attendant hand me a small cup and say, smilingly, "That'll be $4.25". Never gonna happen. If more people were like me, you'd see how fast they lower their prices.

Getting back to what this board is particularly about....cruises.. to answer your question, no i don't buy drinks onboard, simply because they have raised and raised and raised their prices... to the point where, now, $7.48 for a beer and $11.50 for a martini (on the Solstice last month) is just ridiculous. Believe me, they will keep raising their prices as long as people keep paying them... soon it will be $10 for a beer.. then $12.. then $15... where will it end? For me it ended after it crossed the $3 mark (about 5 years ago).

Believe me, I'm a very laid-back person and people say i'm always having a good time. I just don't readily "accept" things that other people seem to. I believe in taking a stand sometimes. Principles don't mean anything if you don't stand by them when they're inconvenient.

Sorry...didn't mean to get into all of this... but you asked :)

- Rick

Great post.... and very applicable. I just came off the Celebrity Solstice and observed exactly the same thing in regard to drink prices.

I live my life according principles and, based on that, I cannot - and never will - allow myself to buy ONE beer for $7.38 when I can buy a case (24)for 13.99 at any supermarket (that's about .56 cents each). It's that simple.

Based on that that example you must never eat out? For the price of a hamburger you can by 2 pounds of hamburger meat.

Hi mom2NnB... :)

At games (baseball, football, and hockey), I may get a drink... no big deal whether I do or don't for that 2 1/2 hours... but if I do, I weigh the cost value of the drink and see if they're trying to gouge people or not. If they are, I won't buy it... again, I don't support that and won't encourage it. I'm perfectly fine drinking water or not drinking at all.

- Rick

Hi Rick,

Here in Chicago at Cub baseball and Bears football games a bottle of water costs $4.50-$5.00. Don't tell me they are cheaper in New York! My question is how do you justify water at the ballpark, when tap water at home is (almost) free or cost mere pennies.

Also how do you justify attending games when it's far cheaper to stay home and watch on the TV?

Just wondering,

Dawg

Based on that that example you must never eat out? For the price of a hamburger you can by 2 pounds of hamburger meat.

Hi tnt091605,

We consider ourselves “occasional” restaurant-goers… about once every 1 or 2 months…. we much prefer home-cooked meals. Oh, I wouldn’t use that same analogy and thought process with restaurants… I was just addressing drinks since that was the thread topic.

At a restaurant, you’re not only paying for the ingredients of the meal, you’re paying for the chef’s talents and expertise, the time it takes in preparing/cooking the meal, the ambience/atmosphere of the restaurant, the 2-3 hours you spend dining there, and the continuous service from the wait staff throughout that period of time.

When ordering a drink, the bartender puts some ice in a glass, pours the liquor, and hands you the drink. Boom…it’s done.

So, personally, I don’t give exactly the same considerations, when comparing costs vs. what-you-receive, between getting a drink handed to me and dining out somewhere….

But that’s just ME… and I know I might be a lot different than most people out there… J

Hi Rick,

Here in Chicago at Cub baseball and Bears football games a bottle of water costs $4.50-$5.00. Don't tell me they are cheaper in New York! My question is how do you justify water at the ballpark, when tap water at home is (almost) free or cost mere pennies.

Also how do you justify attending games when it's far cheaper to stay home and watch on the TV?

Just wondering,

Dawg

Hey Dawg….

Actually…I rarely do get a drink during a game… but if I do, I’m actually fine with having a few sips at the water fountain by the restrooms..

And the experience of being there, live, is what you’re actually paying for… J

The cruise lines can't operate on the money they get for the cruise. I thank everybody that have subsidized my 25+ cruises by buying all that alcahol. I will continue to cruise and not drink and enjoy all the perks. I hope they slow down the price increases so people will continue to drink and have a good time and the lines can keep their cruise prices down. I would also like to thank the gamblers for their generous contributions to. I hope a few of you actually win.

The cruise lines can't operate on the money they get for the cruise. I thank everybody that have subsidized my 25+ cruises by buying all that alcahol. I will continue to cruise and not drink and enjoy all the perks. I hope they slow down the price increases so people will continue to drink and have a good time and the lines can keep their cruise prices down. I would also like to thank the gamblers for their generous contributions to. I hope a few of you actually win.

Hi there,

I struggle to believe that Royal Caribbean aren't making a profit from the £3000 (thats pounds not dollars) that I'm paying for my family's holiday in June (me, hubby and 9 yr old daughter, 14 nights in the Med), and also considering that the price doesn't even include tips and they expect me to subsidise the pathetic wages they pay their staff on top of that, think I need a drink just thinking about it!! Cap it all off with these over inflated drink prices and I'm starting to regret booking with them at all, I'm beginning to think that they're taking the mickey. I understand that a cruise should be more expensive than a normal holiday but with drinks prices increasing at the rate they are (and not just the alcoholic drinks), and the global economic turndown, I fear they will soon become unattainable to "normal" people like they used to be.:eek:

That is 71 pounds per person per day. How many pounds do you pay for a four course meal in a nice restaraunt.How much for a hotel room and how much for a big breakfast and a nice lunch or all you can eat buffet? Don't forget the cost for evening entertainment. All cruise lines pay their help the same wages. You do have control on what you spend on extras. I truly hope everyone has a great time and spends what they are comfortable with.

I've heard that the same principle applies to soda card purchases.

If you buy them when you first board the ship they add sales tax but if you wait until after sailaway then no tax is applied.

That can be sizable if you're purchasing several!!!

Rick,

Good points. Maybe If we used more will power (like yourself) we would have been on over 25 cruises like yourself & not just seven!:D

Dawg

LOL...... that's only because we've been taking cruises since 1987.... so we've got a 12 year head-start on you guys.... :)

- Rick

Like was mentioned before I have been told that when you want to buy a soda card wait until you are into the cruise a little bit that way you don't get charged tax on the more expensive card. Is this true. It was just something I heard and was going to try it out next week but maybe someone knows for sure. thanks everyone

I agree and save enough pennies so that I can enjoy a bottle of wine and beer (or two or three!!), however I fail to see why its so expensive, after all the ingredients of beer are Water, malted barley, hops and yeast, not exactly expensive ingredients, and its mass produced and bought in bulk etc etc. so why the need to rip us off so massively. A ridiculous profit per unit !! Cruises are expensive enough without taking the pee charging 7 dollars plus for one beer. :eek:

While I agree with you completely, I would like to make one point as an avid craft beer aficionado. The price of quality hops has gone through the roof in the last year or so. Quality hops has become hard to get and thus the price has skyrocketed. The major national and now international brewers have never been accused of using quality hops of course. Even the major brewers are feeling the pressure.

The tax everyone is mentioning is a state tax levied by the state where you are located. Evidentally Florida and perhaps California is very aggressive in getting their ounce of flesh. Texas on the other hand is not as aggressive - so far! Sailing out of Galveston I have not had state tax added to my purchases while in port. However they are very limited in what they can sell while still in port by state law.

I do believe they make money on the charges for the cruise. However, they make even more on alcohol sales just like the restaurants and bars on land. Well over half of the profit (75%?) a restaurant makes comes from the sale of alcohol. Similarly the profit a sports venue makes is mainly from the sale of food, drinks and alcohol. Airports also follow this economic model.

I agree and save enough pennies so that I can enjoy a bottle of wine and beer (or two or three!!), however I fail to see why its so expensive, after all the ingredients of beer are Water, malted barley, hops and yeast, not exactly expensive ingredients, and its mass produced and bought in bulk etc etc. so why the need to rip us off so massively? A ridiculous profit per unit !! Cruises are expensive enough without taking the pee charging 7 dollars plus for one beer. :eek:

They do this simply because they CAN do it... some people are still willing to pay this ridiculous amount for a bottle of beer. Make no mistake about it, there are guys in some boardroom saying, "ok, how about we charge $6.00 for a beer, and then ALSO add tip and tax making it $7.50.. for ONE beer... do you think people will REALLY pay that??". Evidently, they do.

It's mind-boggling to me... that some people would allow themselves to be taken advantage of like that...

But, hey, as long as the cruiselines get away with it.... you DO have to give them some credit for that...

Like was mentioned before I have been told that when you want to buy a soda card wait until you are into the cruise a little bit that way you don't get charged tax on the more expensive card. Is this true. It was just something I heard and was going to try it out next week but maybe someone knows for sure. thanks everyone

Last cruise out of FLL we got the soda card as soon as we boarded- We were charged a 15% gratity but not a sales tax.

If you wait til later in the evening--you saved maybe 2.50 == what will you drink til that time?

They do this simply because they CAN do it... some people are still willing to pay this ridiculous amount for a bottle of beer. Make no mistake about it, there are guys in some boardroom saying, "ok, how about we charge $6.00 for a beer, and then ALSO add tip and tax making it $7.50.. for ONE beer... do you think people will REALLY pay that??". Evidently, they do.

It's mind-boggling to me... that some people would allow themselves to be taken advantage of like that...

But, hey, as long as the cruiselines get away with it.... you DO have to give them some credit for that...

Yes...they do it because of supply and demand....it's called Capitalism. Business 101.

Archived