travel with baby-babysitter option available? shore excursion for 2 yr old?

irishkairishka

Hi

we are thinking of taking our 2 year old with us for eastern Mediterranean cruise this year. Do you know if they have (ship name -Noordam) babysitter option? Kid club is for 3 year olds and up. Also, anyone knows about the price for service?

Also, if babysitter option is not available do you know if you need to buy ticket for a 2 year old for shore excursion? Or they go free of charge?

Thank you

Hi

we are thinking of taking our 2 year old with us for eastern Mediterranean cruise this year. Do you know if they have (ship name -Noordam) babysitter option? Kid club is for 3 year olds and up. Also, anyone knows about the price for service?

Also, if babysitter option is not available do you know if you need to buy ticket for a 2 year old for shore excursion? Or they go free of charge?

Thank you

There are babysitters available, but they are limited. They are actually the folks at the front desk who do private babysitting in their off hours for passengers. I think you make arrangements individually with them as for what they will charge. I would suggest you go right to the front desk when you board to try and make arrangements. I don't know when you are sailing, but if there are a lot of parents of young children onboard, their services are gonna be in demand and you might not be able to get them.

As for shore excursions ... I honestly don't know, but I would imagine it would depend on the excursion. If it's a walking tour or something like that, maybe the two-year-old would be free. But if it's something on a boat or whatever, where it's capacity controlled, then baby would have to pay cause she's taking up a slot on the boat. Doesn't matter her age. But, I think the general rule is that EVERYONE pays, though most excursions do have a reduced price for children.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You know, I'm probably gonna get flamed by this ... labeled a child hater ... but ...

I can't get over the willingness of parents to leave their kids alone with a sitter they know nothing about. Here in the U.S. (I don't know about other countries) we have laws for day care centers, teachers, etc. Anyone that watches our kids has to have a criminal background check, child abuse check, etc. If we just make private arrangements for a sitter because perhaps we're going somewhere special on a Saturday night, then it's someone we know ... either a family member or a trusted teenager in the neighborhood whose parents we know well. Yet we'll go on a ship and just arrange for babysitting services, having someone we've never met and know nothing about spend hours in our cabin ALONE with the child.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not casting any aspersions on those ladies at the front desk. I am sure they are very nice, and in most cases would be wonderful with the child. But, again, we don't know them ... know nothing about their backgrounds in their countries, know nothing about what sort of background checks HAL does on them before hiring. Leaving a child in the kid's program is one thing. Those kids are in groups and they are older. The people working in the kid's program have some degree of protection because they are never really alone with the child. There are other kids, other kid's program staff, the kids are in a group area, etc. But to have a stranger one-on-one with a child? ... I think that's very dangerous.

Frankly, too ... I'm surprised HAL even allows this. There's too much chance of accusations being made, problems, etc., that could cast HAL in a bad light even if the woman did nothing wrong.

Group babysitting, like that offered on some lines, is one thing. The kids are not alone with the sitter. Perhaps they even have nanny cams in the group area. But to leave my child alone with a stranger? I would never do it.

And then ... another thing ... I can't even imagine leaving a child alone with a sitter while I went off on a shore excursion. What would happen if, God forbid, the child became very ill and needed medical care and I was unreachable because I was on an all-day shore excursion in port? What happens if I don't make it back to the ship in time for some reason, and the ship sails off without me? Maybe the next port is three days away, or whatever. Now what happens with the baby I left back on the ship with the sitter?

No, I'm sorry. I would never chance all the "what if's." I'd sooner bring a trusted family member along to watch the kid when I had other things to do.

Just my humble opinion. And, no, for the record ... I'm NOT a parent, so perhaps I don't even know what I am talking about.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I do know that HAL offers onboard baby-sitting services, like Rita says, by off-duty employees. Can't help you with the cost. Probably not a bad move to call HAL ships-services @ (800) 541-1576 and pose that same question to them before you leave! Yes, Rita is again correct, in that we (as pax) don't know anything about the background of a HAL 'sitter' as opposed to 'Ashley' down the street' who we watched grow up. Having said that, I have the feeling that if 'incidents' and/or unhappy parents were a common occurance with HAL's employee babysitters, we would more than likely hear about it on these fine threads and/or elsewhere. Good luck to you!

Oh hey, btw - have you considered taking one of these along?;)

41HubSNhNtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I found the below info on the HAL site in the Fact Sheets section on babysitting and the FAQ about Shore Excursions (emphasis added), I have no idea how current it is... I know many of the excursions on Med cruises are really long, it may be difficult to arrange for a sitter for that long. I don't see any excursions for my sailing that are free for 2 and under, but that may be because I'm not sailing with that age child.

Babysitting

Babysitting services are available from 10 p.m. until 12 midnight during Club HAL After Hours for children three years and up. Cost is $5 per hour per child. At other times and for children under the age of three, limited babysitting is available through the Front Office on a volunteer basis. The cost is $8 per hour for the first child and $5 per hour for each other child.

Q: Does Holland America Line offer children's prices?

A: Yes. Children's prices, where applicable, will be listed on the order form and in the individual shore excursions shown for each destination featured on the web site. These prices generally apply for children aged 12 and under. Children 13 and over will be charged full adult fare on tours. Lap children aged 2 and under may be allowed to accompany parents or guardians on some excursions at no charge. Generally, lap child rates are not available on flights, watercraft and modes of transportation other than motorcoaches and taxi vans. Children under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult over 21. Please consult the onboard shore excursion staff for details.

You know, I'm probably gonna get flamed by this ... labeled a child hater ... but ...

I can't get over the willingness of parents to leave their kids alone with a sitter they know nothing about. Here in the U.S. (I don't know about other countries) we have laws for day care centers, teachers, etc. Anyone that watches our kids has to have a criminal background check, child abuse check, etc. If we just make private arrangements for a sitter because perhaps we're going somewhere special on a Saturday night, then it's someone we know ... either a family member or a trusted teenager in the neighborhood whose parents we know well. Yet we'll go on a ship and just arrange for babysitting services, having someone we've never met and know nothing about spend hours in our cabin ALONE with the child.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not casting any aspersions on those ladies at the front desk. I am sure they are very nice, and in most cases would be wonderful with the child. But, again, we don't know them ... know nothing about their backgrounds in their countries, know nothing about what sort of background checks HAL does on them before hiring. Leaving a child in the kid's program is one thing. Those kids are in groups and they are older. The people working in the kid's program have some degree of protection because they are never really alone with the child. There are other kids, other kid's program staff, the kids are in a group area, etc. But to have a stranger one-on-one with a child? ... I think that's very dangerous.

Frankly, too ... I'm surprised HAL even allows this. There's too much chance of accusations being made, problems, etc., that could cast HAL in a bad light even if the woman did nothing wrong.

Group babysitting, like that offered on some lines, is one thing. The kids are not alone with the sitter. Perhaps they even have nanny cams in the group area. But to leave my child alone with a stranger? I would never do it.

And then ... another thing ... I can't even imagine leaving a child alone with a sitter while I went off on a shore excursion. What would happen if, God forbid, the child became very ill and needed medical care and I was unreachable because I was on an all-day shore excursion in port? What happens if I don't make it back to the ship in time for some reason, and the ship sails off without me? Maybe the next port is three days away, or whatever. Now what happens with the baby I left back on the ship with the sitter?

No, I'm sorry. I would never chance all the "what if's." I'd sooner bring a trusted family member along to watch the kid when I had other things to do.

Just my humble opinion. And, no, for the record ... I'm NOT a parent, so perhaps I don't even know what I am talking about.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Well said Rita. I agree 100%. Parents have to be so carefull with the little ones, especially so far from home.

Craig

Blue skies ...

--rita

No flames from me. I am with you. I am a parent, although my children are all adults now. However, I would never have thought of leaving a child of mine with a stranger. If I had truly wanted to cruise with a small child, I would have arranged to bring along someone on the cruise specifically to be my babysitter. JMHO

When my family used to visit Disney World when I was a little one, once or twice a week my parents would go out to dinner and arrange for me to have a babysitter in our room. This was a service arranged by Disney with folks in the local area, and the cost was pretty nominal. I always enjoyed it, and by and large these were grandmothers who loved children and didn't mind making a few bucks looking after them.

Now that I'm a parent myself, I'm lucky enough to be able to bring an au pair on our vacations who babysits for us. I think I would certainly trust the on-board babysitting on HAL for a PG dinner or something, but I don't know that I'd be comfortable heading off on shore excursions with that arrangement. But, each parent is different. I should also point out that even though the arrangements are made through the front desk, the babysitters are typically not the front desk staff--they work too long hours as it is. The babysitting pool is generally made up of spa and ship's activities staff.

Finally, babies are free on most shore excursions. There is a child's price that kicks in at age 3, if memory serves me correctly, and I know that information is on the HAL website someplace.

I hear what you're saying about hiring an "unknown" as a sitter and if I'd read these responses years ago, I don't know if I would have done it...maybe so maybe no. Here's my story. I'm a mom of 2 kids and used the babysitting services at Disney World way back in 1984 when my kids were 1 and 4. Thankfully, it turned out just fine and the girl sent by Disney World's sitting service had actually seen us in the Magic Kingdom that day and remembered us. She was Chip of Chip and Dale when we took a picture of her and my daughter. She brought coloring books, games and reading books for the kids and they had a great time with her.

I understand there's always a risk with leaving your kids with an unknown sitter. I also understand the desire of parents to have some adult time to enjoy themselves on vacation without tending to a child. HAL offers this service and I'm sure many parents take advantage of it. Like said before, if there had been a problem with this service, it would most likely have been reported here, to HAL and probably the media. I can't imagine they would continue to offer such a service if something inappropriate had occurred...that would be a PR nightmare for them.

My opinion is to go ahead and hire one of HAL's babysitters and enjoy your evening or excursion. Good luck with booking one and have a fabulous cruise!

Diane

Here's my story. I'm a mom of 2 kids and used the babysitting services at Disney World way back in 1984 when my kids were 1 and 4. Thankfully, it turned out just fine and the girl sent by Disney World's sitting service had actually seen us in the Magic Kingdom that day and remembered us. She was Chip of Chip and Dale when we took a picture of her and my daughter. She brought coloring books, games and reading books for the kids and they had a great time with her.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying, but ... Disney is a U.S. company that stakes its entire reputation on kids. I tend to think anyone they sent to a guest's room to babysit would have all the appropriate background checks in place. I'm sure they wouldn't send someone who had any issues whatsoever ... even hints of an anger problem ... anything. Their reputation is too important to them to take such a chance.

But ... on a ship, I have no idea. The ship is like a little floating country unto itself ... with its own set of laws and whatnot. Since these babysitters do not do that sort of work for a living ... i.e., are not always full-time children's program workers, etc., who knows what sort of background checks they have been subjected to?

Like I said, maybe I would feel comfortable in a place like a Disney World resort using one of their stable of sitters, but I wouldn't have that "warm and fuzzy" feeling on a cruise ship. That's just how I am. If I had a child that young with me on a cruise ship, I would only feel comfortable if it was some sort of group babysitting arrangement in the kid's program area, or if the babysitting was done by someone I had brought along on the trip specifically for that purpose. At least then I know who is spending hours alone in the cabin with my little one who may be too young to properly articulate to me if something had gone amiss.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'll probably be labeled a child hater as well, but in reality I love children. I am considering how the child will feel and react to this and I'd seriously consider leaving the child at home with a family member or friend that you trust. A child that age is not going to enjoy the excursions at all and Mediterranean cruises are very port intensive. The excursions aren't designed for children and they aren't going to be tailored to the child's needs at all. They move along quickly and people get upset if they are delayed by others being late back to the bus. People won't appreciate it a whole lot if your overtired, hot because buses usual lack working air conditioning, child cries whines and fusses on the bus. A child also often doesn't like being left with strangers and throughout the day will want Mommy or at the least someone they are familiar and comfortable with. A Caribbean cruise at this age would probably suit much better if you want to take the child on a cruise. If you want to go to the Mediterranean, I'd strongly suggest leaving the child with someone they know well at home, or taking someone they know well along with you on the cruise to watch the child while you go on the excursions. The child will have a much better time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

When I read the OP's question the same thoughts as you have just expressed popped into my mind. I don't think one has to actually have children to make a reply based on such a common sense approach. I can't see anyone calling you a child hater for expressing a view which is clearly one of caring and concern for the welfare of young children who will be cruising with their parents. We just have to read the newspapers and watch TV today to know all the dangers that parents have to protect their children from.

I'm always wondering what some parents are thinking when they leave the ship and allow their kids (of any age) to stay behind, either with a baby-sitter or with the childrens' activity staff. What would happen if the parents were on a private tour and missed the ship? What do the kids do? Even on a ship sponsored tour it's not unheard of for the ship to leave late passengers behind to catch up at the next port, if the next port is close. Admittedly, that doesn't happen often since the ship will normally wait, but I have seen it happen in Venice where docking spaces are at a premium and very costly if you overstay your docking time. The cruiseline gave the excursion guests transportation to the next port, basic toiletries, dinner, and a hotel for the night. They were able to board the ship the next morning at our port of call.

well I don't see much wrong with leaving kids behind when leaving the ship if the kids are pre teen or teens. In fact I see nothing wrong with this. On the other hand, I would not leave a toddler behind while I went site seeing. There are things you give up when you decide to cruise with a little one, freedom is the number one thing. I am not even certain that baby sitting would be available for this. I think it is normally for night times when mommy and daddy want to get away for awhile.

Now, I will get off my high horse, as for prices. Normally there is little if any charge for tours if the child is under 3. Again, it depends on the tour. Many tours do not allow kids under a certain age..

Nita

well I don't see much wrong with leaving kids behind when leaving the ship if the kids are pre teen or teens. In fact I see nothing wrong with this. On the other hand, I would not leave a toddler behind while I went site seeing. There are things you give up when you decide to cruise with a little one, freedom is the number one thing. I am not even certain that baby sitting would be available for this. I think it is normally for night times when mommy and daddy want to get away for awhile.

Now, I will get off my high horse, as for prices. Normally there is little if any charge for tours if the child is under 3. Again, it depends on the tour. Many tours do not allow kids under a certain age..

Nita

Who would supervise these teens and protect these pre teens?

I can imagine how frightened a pre teen would be if Mommy and Daddy got left behind in the port and he/she were left to fend alone until the next port.

What does the young teenage girl who is left alone onboard for the day do if she is harrassed by an older man? What does the pre teen girl who is followed back to her cabin do? Who looks after the child who has an accident and needs a parent's care?

Another thought is that teenagers, even the best behaved ones, sucumb to the pack mentality if left unsupervised in groups. That is not fair to the rest of the passengers who may have stayed onboard in port.

Parents do not just lose freedom when they have young children. If they are responsible parents, they lose a lot of freedom until the children are raised and launched.

I do know that HAL offers onboard baby-sitting services, like Rita says, by off-duty employees. Can't help you with the cost. Probably not a bad move to call HAL ships-services @ (800) 541-1576 and pose that same question to them before you leave! Yes, Rita is again correct, in that we (as pax) don't know anything about the background of a HAL 'sitter' as opposed to 'Ashley' down the street' who we watched grow up. Having said that, I have the feeling that if 'incidents' and/or unhappy parents were a common occurance with HAL's employee babysitters, we would more than likely hear about it on these fine threads and/or elsewhere. Good luck to you!

Oh hey, btw - have you considered taking one of these along?;)

41HubSNhNtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I was thinking,more along the lines of

inflatable_iceberg.jpg

I can imagine how frightened a pre teen would be if Mommy and Daddy got left behind in the port and he/she were left to fend alone until the next port.

What does the young teenage girl who is left alone onboard for the day do if she is harrassed by an older man? What does the pre teen girl who is followed back to her cabin do? Who looks after the child who has an accident and needs a parent's care?

Another thought is that teenagers, even the best behaved ones, sucumb to the pack mentality if left unsupervised in groups. That is not fair to the rest of the passengers who may have stayed onboard in port.

Parents do not just lose freedom when they have young children. If they are responsible parents, they lose a lot of freedom until the children are raised and launched.

you have a very good point about the possibility of mommy and daddy not making it back. As for the situation with a young girl, I was thinking more about families wtih more than one child, say a 11 year old and 14, something like that..I disagree about the well behaved kids, really well behaved kids or many of them will stay clear of trouble...Lets put it this way, I may not leave any of my kids, my point was, if I were going to I could understand leaving an older child before I could a 2 or 3 year old. Only a parent really knows the maturity level of his/her child..often they don't even know.

I agree about giving up freedom while raising kids. If you have read my posts in the past you would know how I feel. I still think there comes a time when we have to trust our kids. If I have a 16 year old and they are with someone of a similar age, are normally mature, well behaved kids and they do not want to go on a 2 hour tour with me, I understand. (except for the part about separation if something were to happen) Again, I am not saying I would leave my kids, I am just saying I understand others might and this does not make them unconcerned or bad parents..nor does it make them selfish in my opinion and that is what this is, opinions only.

Nita

But to have a stranger one-on-one with a child? ... I think that's very dangerous

I completely agree. While, sure, my vacation will be a lot different now that I have a child in tow, I would never feel comfortable letting a complete stranger watch my child alone in my cabin.

No, my cruise won't be as relaxing. No, I won't get as much alone time with hubby as I'd like. These are sacrifices we make as parents who are bringing their child on vacation.

Luckily for me, I have two doting grandparents and a girlfriend who will help watch our little girl on sea days so we can have some alone time.

I want to add that the reason I am against this babysitting is that not only do we not know the backgrounds of the sitters, but that my child (age 1 at time of cruise) and many 2 year olds (even some older) would not be able to tell us if something bad DID happen.

I agree with Kriecat & others who pointed out the danger of leaving kids of any age on a ship while the Parents are off the ship…

As a Parent & Grandparent, I would never leave a child in my care on board even in Club Hal, when I'm off the ship for any reason including shopping or a Shore Excursion... The child's age is inconsequential..

Under normal conditions, on a HAL sponsored shore excursion, if something should occur such as a bus breakdown, which happens more often than you realize, the ship will wait for those passengers…Remember, that’s under normal conditions..

However, as others have mentioned , there have been times when shore excursion passengers cannot get back to the ship under any circumstances, due to extreme weather conditions, breakdowns, or road closures (think 2 lane highways accidents & falling boulders etc..)

In several of these cases the ships have had to sail without the passengers.. The Port Agent was then responsible for handling the left behind passengers, putting them up in hotels & getting them to the next port of call, which as mentioned before could be days away..

A few years ago, there was a thread on this board about passengers who were stuck somewhere in Italy...It took them days to meet up with the ship..Not sure if they were on a Hal sponsored excursion or a private one..But it was interesting reading...Another time, a ship had to leave passengers overnight in the Falkland Islands due to extreme weather conditions..They could not get the tenders back to shore to pick up the passengers..The townspeople put the passengers up over-night & fed them..In that case, as a Parent if my child was on the ship while I was stranded in port, I would be frantic with worry..

Also another poster pointed out, what if a child became ill & the parent was incommunicado?

I could not take chances like that..When I'm off the ship my child/grandchild would be with me..

JMO..Cheers..:)Betty

Hi

we are thinking of taking our 2 year old with us for eastern Mediterranean cruise this year.

We were on the Noordam western Med. cruise last May and I honestly cannot imagine having a 2 year old on those excursions. I understand that the eastern Med. is just as port intensive as the western Med. so a 2 year old is going to get very tired and cranky on a shore excursion. We actually had a 5 year old boy and his Mom on our excursions in Monte Carlo and he was not a happy camper! I don't blame him either. As a 5 year old, would you want to be dragged on and off a bus, taken on a long walking tour of Nice and view other areas along the Riviera for most of the day? Adults have a choice as to what to do; but kids that age get dragged along and when they get unhappy, the whole bus has to listen to the crying. Please think twice about taking your young child on such a port intensive cruise. Why not try a short Disney cruise first to see how he reacts? JMO

you have a very good point about the possibility of mommy and daddy not making it back. As for the situation with a young girl, I was thinking more about families wtih more than one child, say a 11 year old and 14, something like that..I disagree about the well behaved kids, really well behaved kids or many of them will stay clear of trouble...Lets put it this way, I may not leave any of my kids, my point was, if I were going to I could understand leaving an older child before I could a 2 or 3 year old. Only a parent really knows the maturity level of his/her child..often they don't even know.

I agree about giving up freedom while raising kids. If you have read my posts in the past you would know how I feel. I still think there comes a time when we have to trust our kids. If I have a 16 year old and they are with someone of a similar age, are normally mature, well behaved kids and they do not want to go on a 2 hour tour with me, I understand. (except for the part about separation if something were to happen) Again, I am not saying I would leave my kids, I am just saying I understand others might and this does not make them unconcerned or bad parents..nor does it make them selfish in my opinion and that is what this is, opinions only.

Nita

A 2 hour tour is one thing, but European tours are usually much longer, up to 10 or 11 hours. Another thing, about your teen and "someone of a similar age" on a cruise, there is no way for you to have real knowledge of what this "someone" is like, and even then you don't know about the other teens your child might be hanging out with on a cruise or those of an older age who might want to spend time with your teenage daughter or son while you're away or not paying attention. I might well leave a teen on board for 2 hours, 4 hours? Possibly, depends. 6 hours? 10 hours? I wouldn't do it.

A 2 hour tour is one thing, but European tours are usually much longer, up to 10 or 11 hours.

Exactly what I was thinking. Europe is tiring even for adults. I can't imagine how a young child would deal with it. The problem with Europe cruises is that oftentimes the town center is often very far from where the ship docks (i.e., Rome). You've got a 1-1/2 to 2+ hour bus ride just to get to the town, not to mention the time for the tour itself. That's why you often can't do half-day shore excursions in Europe. The half day would be taken up by the bus ride alone.

Now, if we were talking a Caribbean or Mexico cruise, perhaps having a two-year-old on excursions would be workable. You can simply do half-day excursions and by the time the kid started getting tired/cranky, etc., the excursion would be over and he'd be back on the ship ready for his nap. But on an all-day excursion he's gonna be miserable, and can you imagine how happy the other passengers would be with a screaming/crying baby on the bus all day?

My advice to the OP would be that if she wants to take her two-year-old on this cruise with her, fine ... but make arrangements to bring along a trusted family member or friend to stay with the child onboard during port days, or "rotate" shore trips with her spouse ... so one parent remains behind to care for the child on every port day. Sure, it's not an ideal solution, but it's part of the price you pay for having your child with you.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Exactly. I wouldn't leave my kid behind while I went on a shore excursion regardless of his/her age. As long as that age is under 18, the kid is with me when I'm off the ship ... period.

That's why it is so wonderful to travel in family groups when there are children along on the trip. You can "rotate" supervision around ... one couple stay behind on the ship in each port to take care of the little ones and to provide some degree of supervision for the older ones.

The thing I think a lot of us do ... and I'm even including myself in this ... is develop a degree of total relaxation and comfort when we board the ship ... especially a HAL ship. We feel we are safe and don't have to keep our guard up like we do at home. We feel very protected on the ship and feel nothing untoward can happen to us. Well, the fact of the matter is that you can get all kinds on a cruise ship, just as you do in your own home town. The person in the cabin next to yours can be a former child molester ... you don't know ... and here you're gonna leave your pre-teen unsupervised on the ship while you take a 10+ hour shore excursion? I just don't think that is safe. I think there really needs to be someone onboard to at least provide some supervision for the kid.

Also, it is very easy for even the best kids to get into trouble when they get together with other kids. At home, parents watch who their kids hang out with. If it is obvious certain kids are trouble, generally they will either forbid their own kids from associating with them, or at least try to discourage it. On a ship, you don't know those other kids that may be on the cruise. You're on shore and your kids could very well be running around and even getting into mischief with others that you would never let them run around with at home.

I think it is important for parents to keep their guards up even while in the seemingly "safe" environment of a cruise ship. I'm not saying you don't give your kids any freedom, but you certainly keep a watchful eye on what they are getting into. When you're 50 miles from the ship, on an all-day shore excursion, and your pre-teen is back on the ship with absolutely no adult from the family to turn to if she gets scared by someone ... that's just generally a very, very bad idea.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived