Has anyone rented a car in cozumel and gone to play corona/san gervasio ruins?

worry wart

Wondering if anyone has gone to Playa Corona to snorkel or to the ruins of San Gervasio while in Cozumel? Is it possible to get taxis to both places or better to rent a car/and how much does it cost? Does this still leave some time to shop? We have a big group so also trying to figure out what would work best if everyone wanted to go (12-14).

We have not snorkeled, but have rented a jeep and spent the morning exploring the ruins located through out Cozumel and then spent the day at a beach. AT the time (two years ago) it was only $75 right at the dock, to rent a jeep, which included $0 deductible insurance. I highly recommend this, we found it easy to get around, they provide you with a map and you can also print one off the internet, http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelMap.htm.

We've rented a jeep in Cozumel. We went to San Gervasio first, spend about an hour there. We found the ruins interesting but they are ceremonial ruins, not big pyramids like the cities on the main land. From San Gervasio we continue east and follow the road south along the beach stopping at Coconuts for some refreshments. If you have never been here it is well worth a stop. Located on a bluff overlooking the Caribbean the view is fantastic. From there we headed south stopping for a drink at the BoB Marley bar before reaching the beach club strip along Playa San Francisco. We spent a few hours at the beach before heading back to the ship. This is a great way to enjoy Cozumel at your own pace.

Wondering if anyone has gone to Playa Corona to snorkel or to the ruins of San Gervasio while in Cozumel? Is it possible to get taxis to both places or better to rent a car/and how much does it cost? Does this still leave some time to shop? We have a big group so also trying to figure out what would work best if everyone wanted to go (12-14).

I highly recommend a car. The San Gervasio ruins are so-so. If you want real ruins you need to drive to Chi-sa-ne-za (don't know how to spell it but it is one of the new wonders of the world), but I'm not sure if you will have enough time from Cozumel. My preference is to drive from Cozumel around the island, there are some amazing beaches that are desolate.

I highly recommend a car. The San Gervasio ruins are so-so. If you want real ruins you need to drive to Chi-sa-ne-za (don't know how to spell it but it is one of the new wonders of the world), but I'm not sure if you will have enough time from Cozumel. My preference is to drive from Cozumel around the island, there are some amazing beaches that are desolate.

LOL. Chichen Itza is on the mainland (Coz is an island) and is a long drive inland. It was a good three hour drive from Cancun. It is a beautiful place and if you ever get the chance, it is well worth the trip.

LOL. Chichen Itza is on the mainland (Coz is an island) and is a long drive inland. It was a good three hour drive from Cancun. It is a beautiful place and if you ever get the chance, it is well worth the trip.

Spelling isn't my strong suit. :)

Take a taxi, the driver will wait while you tour the ruins. Negotiate the price before leaving the pier area.

Someone on my cruise posted they rented a car and didnt take the local insurance, figured their home insurance would cover them and sounds like they were set up. Someone tapped their car they claimed, while they were getting gas and in Cozumel its a crime to be in a car accident and the police were called and they had to come up with $800 in cash to keep the husband from spending the night in jail. He almost missed the ship, luck was with him, we left late.

Be aware its a crime to be in a car accident in Cozumel. Its not like here.

Auto accidents are considered criminal in all of Mexico, not Cozumel alone. Financial responsibility for auto accidents will be determined by law enforcement on the scene. If found at fault restitution must be made immediately or you go to jail.

No American insurance policies extend coverage to Mexico. If you plan to rent a vehicle anywhere in that nation you need to buy a Mexican policy covering you while driving there.

I agree the ruins aren't that great. We had hired a driver (the private van for the day through Island Marketing) and there was apparently supposed to be a "festival" going on...we didn't even get through the Mayan community before we had told him to turn around. It was pretty lame (and I normally enjoy experiencing other cultures...it just was....nothing to go through the trouble of seeing).

We rented a scooter for $40 and rode all over the island on the main road that is on the map. It took us along the coast, up to some of the ruins on the island, stopped for lunch at coconuts, came back around and did some shopping downtown, then headed back to the spot where we rented the scooter. It was definately one of the most fun things we have done.

Archived