Posh?

Madonna3

So, I insisted on a port room based on the acronym POSH (port out, starboard home). I wanted a port side room so I could wave to the pier and watch the people get tiny. However, I think this theory has been blow out of the water! In the port of Miami, (which I know is double sided, for argument's sake, let's pretend it's not) which side of the ship is facing the pier? Is port dockside and then does the ship do it's turn and therefore, starboard is the ones waving? Does she back out leaving port the ones waving and then do her turn once cleared of the pier? My vacation planner said port was a better side, is he right?

Also, I see many ships pulled in forward to ports and then back out. Looking at a few, I see usually they are docked starboard.

Did I make a mistake when booking my port side cabin?

ohioNCLcruiser is correct. You can never tell which way the Captain is going to

pull in and dock the ship in a port. Sometimes straight in and sometimes he/she backs her in. :D

I would not worry about it. Either way, no matter what side of the ship you choose,

you won't know until you dock. ;)

I have been on the same ship, same ports and docked both ways.

Alright, I can accept that. However, how does she normally leave Miami? Is that subject to change? I imagine being it's a bit of a tight space it would be down to procedure.

I'm gonna be watching a lot of webcams :rolleyes:

Alright, I can accept that. However, how does she normally leave Miami? Is that subject to change? I imagine being it's a bit of a tight space it would be down to procedure.

The ships dock like this PORT OF MIAMI ON SUNDAY

and before they dock they will cruise to the very end and turn like this

Cruise Ship Turning in Port o' Miami

if they pull into the port and dock facing the end (away from south beach) they will do this turn once they set sail.

Judging by those pictures the Royal ship turned in the morning before docking.

Port of Miami (which is not double sided), starboard cabins would face the pier. Port sided would face the other side of the channel, which has a highway and bridge to South Beach, and is still a great view. We liked the port side out of Miami because you go right by the beach in South Beach and a park as well as homes, and the starboard side is just the port of Miami. (p.s They always leave the port of Miami with starboard side facing the port, and port side facing opposite)

This is Miami with the Navigator and the Freedom when they were docked there way back when. :D

The picture is called, David and Goliath. ;)

Nav.%20&%20Freedom.jpg

A good article about where “posh” came from can be found here

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/port%20out%20starboard%20home.html

To explain why port side is not always used for docking…

Old merchant sailing ships had a steering board that hung over the side of the ship (before the invention of rudders) which is where the term starboard comes from. So if the steering board hung over the right side, the boat would need to dock on its left side, or put into port on its left side.

This of course does not apply to modern ships which can dock on either side.

The link a couple of posts above doesn't work for me, so just in case it doesn't work for others here is the supposed derivation of POSH. In the good old days when we still had an Empire, P&O ran ships from England to India (P&O = Peninsular & Oriental [the penisular being the Iberian one]). To prevent the 'ladies' getting caught by the sun, they and their families opted for the cabins on the shadow side of the ship. Going to India this was the port side, coming back the starboard. ...hence the derivation of port out starboard home = POSH. As these were the premium cabins they cost more and so it came about through association that posh meant wealthy. This story is almost certainly apocryphal, but is still believed by many.

Simon

The link a couple of posts above doesn't work for me, so just in case it doesn't work for others here is the supposed derivation of POSH. In the good old days when we still had an Empire, P&O ran ships from England to India (P&O = Peninsular & Oriental [the penisular being the Iberian one]). To prevent the 'ladies' getting caught by the sun, they and their families opted for the cabins on the shadow side of the ship. Going to India this was the port side, coming back the starboard. ...hence the derivation of port out starboard home = POSH. As these were the premium cabins they cost more and so it came about through association that posh meant wealthy. This story is almost certainly apocryphal, but is still believed by many.

Simon

I wonder if anyone explained to them that with the sun rising in the east and setting in the west there is no shadow side unless you switch at noon.

My advice would be to go to one of the upper decks and watch the ship's departure form there. That way you can have a much more panoramic view, looking forward and back and at both sides.

By the way, I love leaving the port of Miami. It is a spectacular sight, especially if it is dark and the buildings' lights are on. Even if it is still daylight, however, the skylines of Miami and Miami Beach are spectacular.

Is on the right track, but not the true focus of the word.

Transatlantic passengers, in winter time, looked for Port outbound and Starboard home...to insure their cabin faced south for the warming effects of the sun on the Northern Atlantic route.

There is always a shadow side, it´s the one facing north;)
Only until you get south of the subsolar point, then it's the one facing south. And to make it even more confusing, a ship only has two sides and neither one of them are facing north or south when the ship is. :)

Archived