Swimming Pools - Fresh Or Salt???

Not yet, we just got off the Mariner 11/07.

I hadn't heard anything about them using fresh water. I really like the pools they way they are . I don't have a pool, nor do I know about pool maintenance, but wouldn't fresh water require chemicals to keep the pools clean? If so how would this effect the ocean?

Disney's pools are fresh water but they use the sea water and are able to filter out the salt...they were also able to empty them and refill them quite quickly from what I remember..maybe RCCL is planning to switch over to this method???

Water is purified onboard -- they do not carry it with them from port! Just think how much water is used in preparing food, washing dishes, running showers . . . it's just not possible to carry it with them.

Potable water is actually supplied onboard from two sources .... it's pumped onboard from shore, and also desalinated from the ocean though the ship's own plant. I'm not certain what percent of water is supplied from shore, and what percent is from the ocean. I do know that almost immediately upon tying up in most ports the large hoses are connected to supply fresh water from shore.

Regarding the pools .... they were salt water onboard VOYAGER OF THE SEAS last month. I've read where RCI is switching one pool to fresh water but this was not the case on VOYAGER. One pool was kept open 24 hours.

Princess uses fresh water for all pools, and Holland America usually has one pool that is fresh, and the other salt. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Carnival all seem to have salt water pools.

Ernie

Just my 2 cents...

I wish RCI would go through with the change to fresh water pools. After just being on the Caribbean Princess with all fresh water pools. I know I am spoiled. It was real nice NOT to have that salty feeling all day long (it doesn't seem like those handy pool showers ever get off ALL the salt).

Fresh water pools just seem more freshing and cleansing IMHO.

:cool:

Archived