Moby Dick vs. Captain Marvin

Garn

Nativeways was booked for the day that we'll be in Grand Cayman (in March)

I tentatively booked with Moby Dick, but lately, all of the glowing reviews seem to mention Capt. Marvin or Nativeways. We'll be a party of 8, ranging from my 8 year old daughter to my considerably-more-than-8-year-old mother, who will probably just stay in the boat. Would one of them be better than the other for us?

Thanks!

The same thing happened to me, but I am going in October!! I think they are doing a lot of work with large groups as this is the reason they gave me for not being able to book with them.

I am in the same place as you now. Moby Dick or Capt. Marvin. I wanted to do both the Island tour and the snorkel tour and Nativway got me a spot on a snorkel tour, but I had to go to Capt. Marvin for the Island portion. I'm still deciding. Just be aware that Capt. Marvin requires a credit card to book and if you use that credit card to pay on the day of service they will charge you 5% more.

We were deciding between the two as well. I checked out both websites, searched on these posts, and read reviews on TripAdvisor, and I don't think we could go wrong with either. We ended up booking with Moby Dick for a few reasons:

1) We did NOT need to give a credit card to book. Just our info...how many people, what ship, what day, what tour, etc. The tour is to paid in cash when we get there.

2) They responded to my e-mails very promptly with answers to all my questions.

3) They will drop us off at 7 Mile Beach after our tour, so we can enjoy that as well.(then we can taxi it back to the pier.)

4) Trip Advisor had them ranking higher than Captain Marvin's, and all reviews were positive.

5) There have been some comments made regarding CM about them trying to push pictures or video of the trip, and that the pushiness was annoying.

I really think either place would be great according to what I've read, but those were the reasons we chose Moby Dick.

Have fun!!!

I am sure you will have a great trip. We had a great tour and really enjoyed the smaller group. (I had done the tour through the ship on a previous cruise and shared the experience with a 100 plus of my not so close shipmates...aghhh). Our guide was great and we had as much time as we wanted at the stringrays, plus the personal attention from the guide with each of the guest was the best. Seven mile beach is great, and a wonderful end to the tour. We had no problem getting a taxi/bus back to the port. Enjoy

I tentatively booked with Moby Dick, but lately, all of the glowing reviews seem to mention Capt. Marvin or Nativeways. We'll be a party of 8, ranging from my 8 year old daughter to my considerably-more-than-8-year-old mother, who will probably just stay in the boat. Would one of them be better than the other for us?

Thanks!

We just returned from a cruise which included a tour we booked through Captain Marvin". They were excellent and provided wonderful service...above and beyond the call of duty. Due to weather conditions, we ended up having to be tendered in to a location different from the norm. Therefore the directions that they sent me were not applicable and I was very concerned. (We were also later than anticipated due to the weather problem.) Not to fear....when we arrived at the alternate port, a representative from Captian Marvins...Chris...was waiting for us to take us by bus to the office and then on to the boat.

It was a wonderful day of swimming with the stingrays...a great experience and snorkeling! I would recommend them highly!!

Carol

Just returned tonight from the Ruby Princess and did the stingray city tour with Moby Dick. We had to go to a different port as well and were worried everything would be screwed up but when we got off the ship there were the people from Moby Dick waiting for us. Took us on a purple bus to their boat and we did snorkeling first which is literally 30 seconds from stingray city and then did the stingrays. They were great and we had alot of fun. You cant go wrong with moby dick.

Just returned tonight from the Ruby Princess and did the stingray city tour with Moby Dick. We had to go to a different port as well and were worried everything would be screwed up but when we got off the ship there were the people from Moby Dick waiting for us. Took us on a purple bus to their boat and we did snorkeling first which is literally 30 seconds from stingray city and then did the stingrays. They were great and we had alot of fun. You cant go wrong with moby dick.

when you did the snorkeling with Moby Dick - were you able to snorkel near or at one of the ship wrecks?

We weren't near a ship wreck as far as I could tell. Just a reef about 30 seconds away from stingray city. There were alot of fish and a couple of eels also. It was pretty neat for someone who has never snorkeled before.

We were deciding between the two as well. I checked out both websites, searched on these posts, and read reviews on TripAdvisor, and I don't think we could go wrong with either. We ended up booking with Moby Dick for a few reasons:

1) We did NOT need to give a credit card to book. Just our info...how many people, what ship, what day, what tour, etc. The tour is to paid in cash when we get there.

2) They responded to my e-mails very promptly with answers to all my questions.

3) They will drop us off at 7 Mile Beach after our tour, so we can enjoy that as well.(then we can taxi it back to the pier.)

4) Trip Advisor had them ranking higher than Captain Marvin's, and all reviews were positive.

5) There have been some comments made regarding CM about them trying to push pictures or video of the trip, and that the pushiness was annoying.

I really think either place would be great according to what I've read, but those were the reasons we chose Moby Dick.

Have fun!!!

We just returned from Caymen and did the Stingray excursion from Moby dick, and I must say that the message above is spot on !!!

Our morning with Moby was amazing and would highly recommend it :)

Cheers ...

We enjoyed Capt. Marvin. We used them twice. Once on a trip while sailing with Carnival, once when we stayed on the island for a week. We will be using them again at the end of this month. I have not used Moby Dick, so I can't compare the two. It sounds like they are both great companies and that you will be happy with either. One comment: We felt NO pressure to purchase pictures or videos. The crew chatted with everyone, giving info and showing special attention to the kids onboard. Showing the kids pictures of the fish and telling them what to look for when snorkeling. Both times the crew was a really fun bunch! Hope this helps.

We went with Moby Dick last week and while it was a great time if really going for the snorkelling for newbies I heard some complaints of little direction and no one in the water during that time. I enjoyed them and would tour again but just be aware if there are folks with little snorkelling experience.

We were out there with Moby Dick a couple of weeks ago, and had a great time. I had previously read someone's post that mentioned there wasn't much guidance for first time snorkelers. That really was true. The instruction amounted to telling folks the rules and pointing to the equipment. The water was pretty choppy for us (had to tender at an alternative port) and many passengers never left the boat during the snorkeling. However, one of the guides was in the water at the reef, and even went and retrieved an eel for those in the water to see. My youngest two are great swimmers and had a blast. My 27 year old is afraid of the ocean, but got out there with a snorkel and felt safe enough. One of the guides helped her fit her mask. So despite detailed instructions it is possible for first timers to enjoy the experience. For an entire family with no experience it might have been a little intimidating.

The stingray portion was really amazing, and much better than I saw taking place with other groups around us. Our guide loves the rays and is really great handling them. He simply wouldn't let anyone be so afraid of them that they would miss out. He made sure everyone had an experience and payed extra attention to the children and youngsters and reassured everyone.

I will be going to Cayman in July, and will have my gf and 8 yr old son with me. I'm deciding between the 2 as well, but since both have equally great reviews, I will probably go with the cheaper one. Does one cater to kids more than the other though?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another vote for Moby Dick. We went with them in 2007 and it was a wonderful time. The crew is young and hip, and lots of fun. The way they interact with the rays in the water is amazing, you can tell they love what they do. Haven't done Capt. Marvin, so I'm not knocking them, but I can guarantee a good time with Moby Dick. Don't forget to kiss a ray............they'll help you do it!

We had a really nice time with Moby Dick Tours. They were especially good for the stingray portion. The only negative that I have about the Moby Dick tour is that after the tour they recommended a local eatery that supposedly they have an agreement with that if you present a card from Moby Dick, you get happy hour drink prices and discount food.

DO NOT FALL FOR IT! I got a $1 USD discount. I had a jerk chicken sandwich and a drink. Are you ready for this. $31 USD. I blew a gasket. No prices on the food menu. All the guy said to me is, "this isn't Mexico!"

I don't know if you want to consider a different option, but since you're a group and personalized service would be great, how about considering Stingray Sailing? I just started a new thread about them.

The same thing happened to me, but I am going in October!! I think they are doing a lot of work with large groups as this is the reason they gave me for not being able to book with them.

I am in the same place as you now. Moby Dick or Capt. Marvin. I wanted to do both the Island tour and the snorkel tour and Nativway got me a spot on a snorkel tour, but I had to go to Capt. Marvin for the Island portion. I'm still deciding. Just be aware that Capt. Marvin requires a credit card to book and if you use that credit card to pay on the day of service they will charge you 5% more.

I have booked with Capt. Marvin's in June. They do request a credit card to reserve a spot, but will take (prefer) cash when you get there. Your card isn't charged until you get there and choose to use it (or if you no show) with a 5% increase in price for using the card.

We enjoyed Capt. Marvin. We used them twice. Once on a trip while sailing with Carnival, once when we stayed on the island for a week. We will be using them again at the end of this month. I have not used Moby Dick, so I can't compare the two. It sounds like they are both great companies and that you will be happy with either. One comment: We felt NO pressure to purchase pictures or videos. The crew chatted with everyone, giving info and showing special attention to the kids onboard. Showing the kids pictures of the fish and telling them what to look for when snorkeling. Both times the crew was a really fun bunch! Hope this helps.

Was there an option to purchase pictures? I want pictures, but am hesitant to take my digital camera and/or video camera because I don't want to take a chance ruining them being so close to the water. Thought it might be easier to just purchase their pics if they take them.

Archived