Galaxy 11 nite Southern

Caly

If anyone has recently been on this cruise could you share some experiences. Such as where were the best beaches, what tours do you recommend, best buys in jewelry/liquor. Is there a couples message (for $52.00), when are the formal nites, is there a great bartender like on the Connie, do they have the martini sampler every nite, etc., etc. Anything would be appreciated. We are sailing on 2/9.

Thank you so much.:)

Hi,:) I just returned home yesterday although I was on the 10 night

cruise.

Martini samplings are available every night. 6 of them for 10 bucks.

Willie was the bartender, although he went home for vacation.

Maria is in there as well. And they will probably shift someone else

from another bar to help out. All were very good.:D

Can't help you with the massage question as I never used

the spa.

Not sure if you go to Greneda on the 11 nighter but I went

to the beach there and had a nice time. One suggestion is

to take the water taxi. Its 4 bucks each way. When you get to

the beach, walk all the way to the right side...its not so crowded

at the end and less folks trying to sell you stuff:rolleyes:.

Its a very nice beach though:)

cruise.

the spa.

Excellent to hear, Lois! We are on the 1/30 Galaxy cruise and this will be our first time on Galaxy.. really looking forward to it!

cruise.

the spa.

When we go to Great Anse beach in Grenada, we go all the way to the left (if you are facing the land). There is a hotel called Jenny's Place. Jenny and her husband Sean rent chairs and sell bevearges. A lot less vendors. The vendors on Great Anse are very persistent and can be plentiful.

I got an email during the cruise from someone we both know, Lois.;) Full report, please...........:D

-Kevin

Kevin, it was so much fun seeing Victoria again:Dshe has

been promoted to Head Bartender. She misses working

the bar sometimes though.

She said to give you a BIG HELLO....HELLO:)

We will be on the last sailing of the Galaxy in March. I am looking for a place to meet with other CC members between dinner times and would like to know if martinis and other drinks are sold at the Champagne bar. This seems to be the most convenient place to meet between early and late dinner.

Kevin, it was so much fun seeing Victoria again:Dshe has

been promoted to Head Bartender. She misses working

the bar sometimes though.

She said to give you a BIG HELLO....HELLO:)

Thanks, Lois! Isn't she a doll? And good for her on her promotion! She sure deserves it. I told her to let me know which ship she'll be assigned to after Galaxy goes buh-bye, which is just a little over 6 weeks from now. Sad..........

If anyone has recently been on this cruise could you share some experiences. Such as where were the best beaches, what tours do you recommend, best buys in jewelry/liquor. Is there a couples message (for $52.00), when are the formal nites, is there a great bartender like on the Connie, do they have the martini sampler every nite, etc., etc. Anything would be appreciated. We are sailing on 2/9.

Thank you so much.:)

Caly,

Here is a link to a thread about Cosol's tours...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=887246

Here are some pictures from our tour with Cosol last year...we really enjoyed it and I would definitely recommend it.

You can also go to the ports of call forum on this board and look at St. Lucia and any of the other stops on your cruise that you have questions about.

When we were in Curacao last year, we went to a beach called Playa Porto Mari; just gorgeous... had a wonderful time there. It was a rather long cab ride, but well worth the trip. Here is the link to some of our pictures from there...

We also went to Cane Garden Bay in Tortola, a bit of a cab ride, but we had a blast... great food and drinks at Myett's right there on the beach. We hired a driver there to take us around to a few spots and he was a very nice young man...

Hope this helps a little in your decision making!

I too will be on that sailing. As for beaches, I can attest having been to Aruba many times (we own a Marriott timeshare on the island) that your two choices are Eagle Beach (low rise area) across from the Amsterdam and La Cabana timeshares or Palm Beach at the hi rise area (hotels and multi-story timeshares). Local bus station in town is convienent to the dock. Just need to tell the driver where you're going so as not to get on the wrong bus. Fare is $1.30 each way and $2.30 round trip. Time to the high rises is no more than 20 minutes versus 15 by cab.

Cab fare to the low rises is $8 and $11 to the hi rises. Have a cover for the bathing suit since cab drivers do not have to take people with wet suits. If they see a bathing suit, they will assume it's wet. If you tell them it's dry, they will still not take you since they do not want to get into a debate if one's suit is wet or dry.

Eagle Beach would be my first choice coming off a boat. They have chairs, etc. Palm Beach being the hotel area has more to over including many places to grab something to eat. The bus drops you at both beaches so you don't have to walk. As with most islands, while the beach is public, the facilities on the beach such as chairs and palapas are not. You will stick out like a sore thumb since you won't have the right color towel for any resort that you decide to crash. If that's your plan, keep the towel in a bag when you use there chairs. However, do not try to use a palapa for shade since all hotels have their guests reserve them.

On Palm Beach, there is a place called Moomba's Beach Bar between the Holiday Inn and the Marriott Surf Club that rents chairs. That woudl be my recommendation if you do the hi-rise. Other than that, go to Eagle Beach.

If your adventerous, go to baby Beach in the southern part of the island by cab. It's a lagoon that is very good. Not much around there.

Lastly, Aruba sun will eat you up in a heartbeat. More so than other islands. If you haven't done so already, sign-up for the cruise critic party. They already have the minimum number of people to hold a party on the ship.

:cool::cool:MY WIFE AND I HAVE BOTH SIGNED UP FOR THE CRUISE CONNECTIONS PARTY...WE ARE ALSO INTERESTED IN SUGGESTIONS FOR SHORE EXCURSIONS.WE NORMALLY ARE NOT AFRAID TO USE LOCALS,BUT THE EARLY DEPARTURES HAVE US WORRIED....ARUBA IS THE ONLY ISLAND WE HAVE VISITED PREVIOUSLY,SO WE ARE MORE CURIOUS ABOUT THE REST...THANKS!!! FREDO:D:D

Archived