HMC - New Excursions!

allen.crawford

Matt,

The guide said that if you touch the rays, use only the palm of your hand, not your fingers. However, when we were in the water, the rays tended to stay towards the bottom, and I was mostly near the surface. I don't think petting the rays while snorkeling would be a problem, but we really didn't have any opportunity to do so other than with the guide.

According to what we were told on the Oosterdam, the stingray excursion was added Thursday Nov. 11, with our stop at HMC being Saturday the 13th. Dear Spouse and I signed up for the second to last scheduled time at 2:30 pm, and met at the information booth near the dock. As it turns out, since it was such a new option, we were the only two people on that trip, and it was essentially a private excursion!

They took the two of us out to the lagoon in the big bench truck, back along the beach and to the right. They have a changing building with showers, and a covered deck next to the lagoon. DS had snorkeled before, so they gave him the quick briefing, and let him go in, while they explained a few more simple things to me, about five minutes or so. They provided masks, snorkels, water socks, and the float vest, which you return at the end of your session. From the deck, you walk down a few steps right into a penned off section of the lagoon.

During the briefing, they specifially said we should stay floating, and don't allow people to stand due to coral in the penned area. I would guess the water was 7-9 feet deep (very rough guess), and they told us they had about 20 stingrays, but we saw maybe 2-5 at any one time. After we swam over them and took pictures for awhile, they called us over to the steps, and another diver corralled one so we could pet and feed it. Then we swam a little while longer until the truck came back, then got out and rinsed off and changed at the other building. We had about 20 minutes in the water, I believe. No one had signed up for the 3:00 swim, so the staff rode back on the truck with us.

DS and I thought it was wonderful, although having the entire place to ourselves made it especially nice. We signed up using the on-ship kiosk, and judging by the number of spaces left, it looked like they planned on taking about 20 people per excursion. Santa Fe Jim is correct at it being $39 per person.

I didn't see anything about the horses or waterpark, so can't speak about those, but will try to answer any other questions if I can.

$39.00 sounds high for 20 minutes.

Matt,

The area felt about the size of a large public swimming pool, although like the depth, I'm a bad judge of that sort of thing. I don't think it would feel enormously crowded with 20 people there, although I don't know how the rays would react to that much activity. Also, the entry/exit stairs might be crowded if everyone was trying to use them at the same time. They're designed for probably about four people across.

$39.00 sounds high for 20 minutes.

Dear Spouse and I had never done anything like this before, so we had no idea what to expect and nothing to compare it to. It wouldn't surprise me if there were places that had more rays, for a longer period of time, at a more reasonable rate. However, stingrays are our favorite thing to see at our local aquarium, and we were not about to pass up a chance to swim with them. We both had a great time, and neither of us feel ripped off. Your mileage may vary.

If your ship is heading to Grand Cayman there is a wonderful sting ray tour there. It involves a boat ride out to a sand bar where the sting rays swim in their natural habitat, not in a swimming pool. The tour lasted well over 1 hour including the boat ride. I believe the price was about $40, but that was 2 years ago. It was the best shore excusion we have ever taken and I would do that again in a heart beat.

Archived