Beverage Cards

ChiBearsSuperFan

I personally find the cards a very good deal. If I recall correctly there were nine types of wine available by the glass. They included reds, whites, sparkling and blush. If you purchase a 20 glass wine card it works out to $3.88 per glass which includes the gratuity. I don't think you will find a better bargain anywhere on the ship. These prices are even better than bringing your own wine and paying the corkage fee, unless of course you are looking at bringing higher end wines.

From my calculations the cocktail cards works out to about one free drink per card. This was based on my selection of cocktail. For others this may vary.

I particularly like the convenience of having the cards. In the case of the wine card I have only to sign one slip of paper as opposed to 20 (one every time I order a glass of wine) and similarily for the cocktail card. When it comes to the end of my cruise this makes reconciling my final ship board account all that much easier.

It is also nice when used at dinner. I just lay my card to the side of my bread and butter plate and the wine steward can take it, punch it and return it at his/her convenience and they also don't have to find an appropriate time to bring the bill to sign.

As mentioned in the above post, I agree there seems to be no difference whether you pre-order the card or purchase onboard, the price is the same.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise in April.

Rochelle

I just purchased some cards (cocktail and soda) for my upcoming cruise in advance and didn't have to pay sales tax (live in Alaska which has no sales tax) and also didn't have to pay the 15% gratuity. So, I believe it is cheaper to buy it in advance.

Irene

I just purchased some cards (cocktail and soda) for my upcoming cruise in advance and didn't have to pay sales tax (live in Alaska which has no sales tax) and also didn't have to pay the 15% gratuity. So, I believe it is cheaper to buy it in advance.

Irene

You paid the 15% gratuity. It is included in the price of the card.

What's the pour size on the glass of wine. We were thinking about taking 5 wine bottles on the cruise and drinking half a bottle, with each dinner, over the 10 days and corkage fee would be $75. Hubby usually likes a nice cabarnet or shiraz. However, if the pour is generous, would seem worthwhile to get the 20 wine glass card for $77.

So does anyone know what the standard size is for wine glass. Does the size end up being decided by who's pouring it. What is the type of wine (for the reds at least) that is used for the wine by the glass?

Thank you ahead of time for your help.

What's the pour size on the glass of wine. We were thinking about taking 5 wine bottles on the cruise and drinking half a bottle, with each dinner, over the 10 days and corkage fee would be $75. Hubby usually likes a nice cabarnet or shiraz. However, if the pour is generous, would seem worthwhile to get the 20 wine glass card for $77.

So does anyone know what the standard size is for wine glass. Does the size end up being decided by who's pouring it. What is the type of wine (for the reds at least) that is used for the wine by the glass?

Thank you ahead of time for your help.

Six ounces!

Did some more research and answered my own question. HAL uses Stonebarn (equivalent to Delicato) for the house wine. Hubby has had Delicato. Will be reconsidering taking our own wine on board and paying the corkage fee.

I just bought a 20 wine card but on HAL's gift site they are only selling Signature cocktail cards and they say this can't be used for well drinks. Dthis mean they are only for the cocktails of the day and not martinis or manhattens? I don't drink but my husband does.

Marguerite.

If I recall correctly there were nine types of wine available by the glass.
Not on the wine card. Your choices are Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cab Sauv, white Zin, and "sparkling"

Hubby usually likes a nice cabarnet or shiraz. However, if the pour is generous, would seem worthwhile to get the 20 wine glass card for $77.
Shiraz is not available with the wine card. The Cab Sauv is okay.

• 1 month later...
Is there a limit to the amount of wine a person can take on board.

5 liter container?

Going on the Westerdam Jun 28th Alaska.

There is no limit, but most people take a few smaller bottles at embarkation and pick up more at ports along the way. :)

There is no limit, but most people take a few smaller bottles at embarkation and pick up more at ports along the way. :)

Thanks for the reply. First cruise and trying to get organized before I get on board and find out I bought the ship.:)

I just bought a 20 wine card but on HAL's gift site they are only selling Signature cocktail cards and they say this can't be used for well drinks. Dthis mean they are only for the cocktails of the day and not martinis or manhattens? I don't drink but my husband does.

Marguerite.

I was able to order martinis using my Signature Cocktail Card last week. In fact, it's mostly what I drank at dinner. I found the crew more accommodating with requests and substitutions than the website and corporate office imply (rightly so.)

Can you please let us know when these are available for purchase?

Is it possible that they are not available on every ship?

You will find it under the beverage tab and not the wine and spirits.

go figure!

• 2 weeks later...

rstief: When I called Seattle before our next to last cruise ago, they told me the bottles would be 750 ml, but when we arrived they were, in fact, a liter. Threw our calculations of how much we would need off a little, but we didn't take offense, since we had been prepared to pay the higher per liter cost.

Are there caffeine-free sodas available via drink card? In particular, CF-Dr. Pepper and CF Diet Coke? Thanks.

It's only Coke products aboard.

But to answer your question, yes, you can get Caffeine Free Diet Coke with a soda card. You will get about a half-can for one punch. If you want to guarantee a freshly opened can, ask for that for two punches.

Hi

I'm coming to Vancouver from Australia to cruise Alaska. I'm a bit confused. I haven't cruised on HAL before. Will I have to buy soft drinks (soda) and coffee? When I sailed on Royal Caribbean in Australia tea, coffee and soft drinks were included in the cost of the cruise but alcohol was extra.

Archived