snorkeling --HELP

outforfun

That was my question also, but the only things that I had found were snorkeling from the shore, like Eden Rock, which we may try after doing the dolphin swim. We saw the stingrays once, and really, that was enough. Any of the tours that I checked also included a stop to stingray city.

I know there are some reef and wreck snorkel tours available. But honestly, the shore snorkeling from Eden Rock is really phenomenal! I have done both boat and shore snorkeling in Cayman and I don't think the boat trip is any better than what you can see from the shore - the reefs are amazing! Plus from Eden Rock, you are close to the tender pier and can make your way back whenever you want, they have restrooms, a bar/restaurant. Just an all around great day.

Jennifer, Thanks for the info on the snorkeling... Can you walk or will we need to get a taxi? Also how much does it cost? My husband has his own snorkeling gear but myself and the couple coming with us do not.. Can we rent there? I really appreciate all the info on this... Can't hardly wait we will be in the Caymans in early April.......

We just came back from a week on Grand Cayman, and were not able to find that. Funny, someone should offer it, I think it would be popular fopr those who have done the sting ray thing. But there is good snorkeling right from the beach. We were staying in the East End near rum point. We were about 45 minutes from Georgetown. We had a rented car and found it quite easy - even on the left hand side of the road.

Can you slowly ease yourself into the water at Eden Rock or just jump in? How deep is the water?

There are a couple of steep, slippery steps with a hand rail. The area is quite rocky. Actually, I find it more difficult getting out than getting in, depending on the force of the waves at the time. It is so definitely worth it, however! The snorkeling is fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

So if we are mid forties, healthy but haven't snorkeled before, would you reccomend this? We also would like to take pictures while snorkeling. How deep is it when you enter off the pier? Would love to try Eden Rock, have heard great things about it!

So if we are mid forties, healthy but haven't snorkeled before, would you reccomend this? We also would like to take pictures while snorkeling. How deep is it when you enter off the pier? Would love to try Eden Rock, have heard great things about it!

I would say that it depends on your swimming ability. It is too deep to stand when you get in. It also depends on the weather and how rough the sea is. If it is calm and the waves are low, it is definitely easier to get in and out.

I was there this week, and was disappointed that the sea was so rough, that it didn't look safe to get in. Maybe next time...

• 3 weeks later...

Good to hear some more info on Eden Rock. I am definately not an avid snorkeler or a very "active" person, but would love to just get into the water and see what I can see. Is it an easy experience (beginner)?

Eden rock is easy to get to from the dock. just get to shore and walk right, you will pass a couple restaraunts/bars, the sub place, and you will soon see a dive shop called Eden Rock, kind of a blue/green building if I remember right. The walk is 2-3 hundred yards I'd guess. You can see the building as the tender comes in.

The water is rather shallow at the edge, maybe 5 feet, but there can be a swell right there so it is best to swim away quite quickly. There used to be a ladder right at the entry point but it really only helped when getting out.

Caution... there are quite a few spiny urchins so do not stand, in fact I put my mask on and peer around before jumping in, this is possible just sitting on the edge of the bottom ledge.

There are a number of fish right along the edge and many people never venture far from the edge. Out a couple hundred yards are a number of bouys which mark the boundrys of the reef/rock. The water out here goes from 3-4 feet to 45 feet and the features are very rugged. As a long time diver I beg you not to go out there if you can't float for extended times, there is no feeling worse for a diver then to see someone standing and or kicking at the coral or rocks. The formation has many grooves and tunnels in it and is wonderful for new snorkelers. There will be a number of divers there as well and you can see them swimmiing below...it will make you wish you dove!

There are lockers there and a lock can be rented from the shop, I'm not sure if snorkelers can use them. They sell t-shirts and all and I'm certain will rent snorkel gear, include little vests.

I've only snorkeled a few times and I found Eden Rock to be very good for beginners. Though it was a little difficult getting out since the waves were up. This was in December which I heard can be some what rough.

We were able to rent a locker there. I only needed to rent a vest and my fiance rented a full set of gear... I think it came out to $25-30?

Archived