Final Questions regarding Skagway for NancyIL/Yukon

tvisser

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyIL viewpost.gif

You can rent a car from Avis in Skagway for ~ $100/day or a little less. Make an advance reservation, as they do run out of cars.

We did a rail/bus tour to the Yukon in 2007 with Chilkoot Charters, and we're doing the longer rail/bus tour to Carcross in May with the same company: http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

I am also looking at those trips for our mid June arrival from Chilkoot Charters. Based on what I have read as well as responses, the Eagle Preserve is not very good in June, correct? If it is not, then I am considering one of these from Chilkoot Charters. Can anyone tell me their experience with this charter as well as what to expect on the below list. How long do you typically stay at each location for viewing and photographing? Which trip would be the don't miss trip out of these? Thanks Tim

What is the difference between the three bus and rail

combination tours?

We currently have 3 combination bus and rail excursions:

1) White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1

3/4 hours on train/return to Skagway by bus

2) Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion

Duration: 7.5 Hours (Depart 7:30AM ~ Return 3:00PM)

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1

3/4 hours on train/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy

Camp/Emerald Lake/From Fraser/Carcross/Emerald Lake

and return to Skagway by bus

3) Skagway/Carcross Bus & Rail Excursion

Duration: 9 Hours (Depart 7:30AM ~ Return 4:30PM)

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot Dining Hall

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser/Lake

Bennett/Carcross by train - 4 1/2 hours on train + 1 1/2

hour lunch break at Lake Bennett - Bus from Carcross to

Emerald Lake and return to Skagway

Assuming you're talking about the Eagle Preserve in Haines - we stopped there in late July and saw 2 eagles! You have to take a boat from Skagway to Haines, and that would be scenic.

We did the 7.5-hour rail/bus tour with Chilkoot Charters in 2007. After being picked up at the train depot in Fraser, we went by mini-bus towards Carcross. We stopped at the "Welcome to the Yukon" sign for picture taking, and we might've made one more photo stop before going to Emerald Lake for 5-10 minutes. We stopped at the Caribou Crossing Trading Post for lunch (about 1 hour). After lunch, there was time to play with the sled dogs as well as see the interesting wildlife museum. We drove to beautiful downtown Carcross, where we had our passports stamped at the post office, and I enjoyed an ice cream cone from the general store (I think). On the drive back to Skagway, we stopped several times along the way, including at the "Welcome to Alaska" sign. Stops were short (5-10 minutes), but there was enough time to take photos.

I booked the 9-hour rail/bus trip for our May cruise, and I'm looking forward to going all the way to Carcross by train.

We'll be in Skagway May 28. The itinerary states that we arrive at 7am*. Would we be able to make the 730am train thru Chilkoot? I worry about the ship docking late! The cost of Chilkoot vs. Princess's excursion is very good and I would like to book thru them. If we dock late I realize that the ship excursion group would probably get on the train but what about us who are booked direct? This is one excursion that I would hate to miss. We have driven to Emerald Lake and now want to experience the train. I know I'm worrying about nothing!:eek:

*(Some where I saw that we dock at 530am, but Princess still says 700am).

We'll be in Skagway May 28. The itinerary states that we arrive at 7am*. Would we be able to make the 730am train thru Chilkoot? I worry about the ship docking late! The cost of Chilkoot vs. Princess's excursion is very good and I would like to book thru them. If we dock late I realize that the ship excursion group would probably get on the train but what about us who are booked direct? This is one excursion that I would hate to miss. We have driven to Emerald Lake and now want to experience the train. I know I'm worrying about nothing!:eek:

*(Some where I saw that we dock at 530am, but Princess still says 700am).

Most ships go to Juneau right before Skagway, and the ports are not very far apart. I wouldn't worry. If for some reason the ship is late and there are a number of Princess passengers on the same train as you, then you will all get on the train. That's assuming the train waits a few minutes for the ship's people.

We'll be in Skagway May 28. The itinerary states that we arrive at 7am*.

Be sure you have Chilkoot's local phone number. If you're running behind you can call and tell them you're just walking off the ship (or whatever). The tour companies and the RR are all driven by the ship schedules. We were early in one port and the tour guide was already waiting. She said "We're all good friends with the harbor master and know docking times almost before the captain does!" :)

Assuming you're talking about the Eagle Preserve in Haines - we stopped there in late July and saw 2 eagles! You have to take a boat from Skagway to Haines, and that would be scenic.

We did the 7.5-hour rail/bus tour with Chilkoot Charters in 2007. After being picked up at the train depot in Fraser, we went by mini-bus towards Carcross. We stopped at the "Welcome to the Yukon" sign for picture taking, and we might've made one more photo stop before going to Emerald Lake for 5-10 minutes. We stopped at the Caribou Crossing Trading Post for lunch (about 1 hour). After lunch, there was time to play with the sled dogs as well as see the interesting wildlife museum. We drove to beautiful downtown Carcross, where we had our passports stamped at the post office, and I enjoyed an ice cream cone from the general store (I think). On the drive back to Skagway, we stopped several times along the way, including at the "Welcome to Alaska" sign. Stops were short (5-10 minutes), but there was enough time to take photos.

I booked the 9-hour rail/bus trip for our May cruise, and I'm looking forward to going all the way to Carcross by train.

Thanks Nancy!!! I am looking forward to hearing about your 9 hour trip in May and comparing and contrasting it to your previous 7.5 hour trip. I am probably going to book the 9 hour trip today. I appreciate your feedback. You helped make my decision based on seeing only 2 eagles.....

Tim

Archived