Biggest RCI/Cruise/Passenger Pet Peeve

Atty

I know they're just kids, I have some of my own, but I can't stand it when you're waiting in line at say, the juice dispenser, and when it's your turn a little kid walks right up in front of you and starts to help himself, cutting you off. I always teach my kids to wait for their turn in line, but I swear there are more kids with rude manners who don't know what it means to wait. It really irks me when I see an elderly person trying to work their way up to the counter and some kid just pushes his way to the front!

I have seen more adults push kids out of the way than I have seen kids doing it. I can't tell you how many times we have witnessed adults taking advantage of our kids by cutting in line in front of them like they are not there. We taught our boys to say to the person when that happens to step back and say "Oh, excuse me, after you, ma'am/sir." Hopefully, that will "ring a bell" with them but I doubt it.

On one occasion when we were on a land tour, our boys and been counting the days until they could have the front seat on the bus--you rotated daily. When the day arrived, the couple that had them the day before were seated firmly again in the seats. The kids (14 and 9) came and got their father because we had put the fear of God into them about their behavior if we let them sit together (previously we split the boys up, one with each of us). At first the couple ignored husband staring straight ahead and when husband "got into their face," they said that they were just kids and shouldn't have priority on those seats. Husband told them that they paid the same tour price as they did and, thinking about it, maybe they should have the seats every day since they were short and couldn't see over the seats in front of them. Couple still wasn't moving, so husband told them that he guessed he would have to get the tour director to straighten it out. They moved to where they should have been. The next day it was our turn to sit in the seat and, of course, we deferred to the kids as they didn't get into it the day before. Then the day after that, the couple that was due to have the seats invited my kids to take them instead as did a few other couples on the tour. We tried not to look too smug at the "mean" couple (lol).

Tucker in Texas

We taught our boys to say to the person when that happens to step back and say "Oh, excuse me, after you, ma'am/sir." Hopefully, that will "ring a bell" with them but I doubt it.

Tucker in Texas

I may just teach DD that line. On Grandeur, not one but two adults cut her off when she was in line on behalf of all of us, at Guest Services while DW and I were working out details over at the excusions desk. What made me even more upset was that 2 of the staff clearly saw her in line and let the adults cut her off.

DD has the ability to make herself barf just about on command...maybe she gets cut off she could just let the other pax have it. :D Well maybe not, she doesn't want to be stuck in the cabin on quarantine.

I agree with the pet peeves of rudeness, failure to take turns, overly loud speech, etc. I am adding to the people that cut you off to saunter or stop directly in front of you when you are clearly trying to get somewhere..(uh..MOVE!) Kids running wild, people who say wallah! instead of voila, or foo foo instead of frou frou, floridader instead of Florida.. (there is no r at the end of my state's name.) Last but not least, people who refuse to wear sunscreen. I try very, very hard not to laugh at the lobster tourists, while running errands around town, or on board a cruise. It is sad yet quite funny when they are burned so terribly that they barely move their mouths because it hurts so much. This is why every tropical travel guide says pack and wear sunscreen.

I find it funny that so many hate people to say boat. We refer to anything with a deck as a boat in south Florida, cause everyone has a boat...that is what we do. Just like every soda down here is referred to as coke, even if it is Pepsi!

(raising my hand) I solemnly swear to say ship on our cruise if y'all will wear sunscreen:D

Boy dont a lot of things peeve people off !!...

1. Rudeness of people, whether to the crew of the vessel or other passengers.

2. Mis-interpretation of commen names for a vessel

3. Chair hogging

4. People who expect the world and are better than everyone else onboard

5. People who dont bother making an effort dressing for dinner (Some dont even bother washing)

6. People who go out of their way to make other peoples holiday he** just because they are having a bad one.

Now to assist some members of the cruising community I thought it might be best to put down some common terms for a nautical vessel.

1. The floor is called the DECK

2. The ceiling is called the DECKHEAD

3. The walls are called the BULKHEAD

4. The toilets/washrooms are called the HEADS

5. The kitchens are called the GALLEY

6. The left hand side of a ship is called PORT

7. The right hand side of a ship is called STARBOARD

8. The upper areas of the vessel that are open to the fresh air is called the UPPER DECKS

9. A boat is normally a small water borne craft or a submarine, a ship/vessel is a large ocean going vessel.

10. A bollard is not a BARSTOOL

11. When the weather is unfavourable (Rough, windy, wet or whatever) it is beyond control of the Cruise line and therefore not their fault.

12. Yes, when the weather is rough the propellors do come out of the water and make a heck of a noise and the whole ship vibrates but its nothing to worry about.

13. The safety barrier around the UPPER DECK is called the GUARDRAIL

14. The person in charge of a ship is called the CAPTAIN, his word is equivalent to GOD and what he says is LAW

15. It is extremely bad manners to jump a queue, persons who do so are likely to be Keel hauled.

16. The bottom of the vessel is called the KEEL.

17. The sharp bit at the front of the vessel is called the BOW

18. The other end of the ship is called the STERN

19. People who stare at others in difficulty or sights from the sides of the upper decks are called GOOFERS, hence the term upper deck goofers

20. Being hit by a wave or the spray of a large wave and getting wet is called being GOFFERED

21. When in rough weather the ship is likely to move more erratic, the man steering the ship is not to blame

22. Care must be taken when flushing the toilets in rough weather as an event called 'FLASH BACK' is not uncommon (Need I explain)

23. Exercising 'Emergency stations' is necessary so every one is aware of what is expected should the real thing happen. The crew are not doing it for their own good.

24. Be considerate to others onboard the vessel, remember its not only your life you have to be aware of but maybe thousands of others.

25. The only boat you are likely to find on your Cruise ship are the LIFEBOATS.

26. The poor waiter, bar man or person in reception has to listen to a lot of complaints and borish people during the cruise, he is not a punch bag for your verbal claptrap

27. The item for getting off and on the vessel is called the GANGWAY

28. Treat others as you would like to be treated

29. Show consideration to others, dont hog the deck charis on the UPPER DECK.

30. If you see something wrong, tell a member of the crew, even if its a rude passenger or some obnoxious kid, they are best suited to handle the situation (Yes I know the temptation is there but why get all het up and spoil your cruise.

More might spring to mind but hope some of that enables people to know the difference between a BOAT and a SHIP....

Kids running wild, people who say wallah! instead of voila, or foo foo instead of frou frou, floridader instead of Florida.. (there is no r at the end of my state's name.)

But isn't it better that people get close with wal-LAH than the ones who completely miss the mark and say VI-ola?

And I have always used foo-foo over frou frou. Maybe that's just a regional thing and where I grew up, because all of my friends said it the same. :p

But isn't it better that people get close with wal-LAH than the ones who completely miss the mark and say VI-ola?

And I have always used foo-foo over frou frou. Maybe that's just a regional thing and where I grew up, because all of my friends said it the same. :p

ummm....no,it is not. The people who mispronounce the word at least KNOW what they are saying, even if they may need a bit of help with the pronunciation. The same with frou frou, it is a french term that means overly fussy. The people who say wallah have no idea it is an actual word that literally says there is, it is not ta da! The thing with the ship/boat, deck/floor thing, is most people know the difference but choose to relate to what is their every day. They are not murdering words from another language to seem cool or hip.;)

People who lean way over a soup, stew, etc, lift the spoon and smell it really close from the spoon

People who wave their hands all over a platter to locate the perfect food item, pick it up with their hands, no that's not good enough let me put that back and get a different one (with hands)

People who accidently spill items outside the tray and then pick them up to put them back on the tray (with fingers)

Why do the bartenders keep doing magic tricks, card tricks, stir stick tricks, napkin tricks over and over? I enjoy talking to the bartenders and joking around but the constant demanding of my attention when I am trying to get a buzz is quite annoying. Of course I still get the buzz but I am just more annoyed than I usually am.

, people who say wallah! instead of voila, or foo foo instead of frou frou, floridader instead of Florida.. (there is no r at the end of my state's name.)

(raising my hand) I solemnly swear to say ship on our cruise if y'all will wear sunscreen:D

You say To-mate-o, I say Tom-mato..........You say Po-tate-o I say Pot-toto.....:D

Why do the bartenders keep doing magic tricks, card tricks, stir stick tricks, napkin tricks over and over? I enjoy talking to the bartenders and joking around but the constant demanding of my attention when I am trying to get a buzz is quite annoying. Of course I still get the buzz but I am just more annoyed than I usually am.

someone is spending a lot of time at the same bar ;):):rolleyes:

I'll chime in with:

*unsupervised children - in hot tubs, adult areas, or just generally roaming around unattended and causing havoc (like playing in elevators, running in the dining room, running up and down the halls)... I am constantly amazed at what some parents allow their children to do on a cruise.

*line cutting - IME, some of the biggest offenders are over 55...

*conversations during shows - seriously, there's NOWHERE else on the ship where you can discuss your affairs...

*cell phones - I hate them on land, I hate them at sea...

*non-smokers who are overly dramatic (ie, coughing, hacking, making rude comments) towards smokers when they are IN a smoking section -

*people who don't wash their hands after using the restroom... honestly, there are 4 other people in the restroom who just saw you leave without washing your hands, what are you trying to do get everyone sick???

*entitled/elitist/rude behavior towards crew, especially crew that is serving you food or beverage... how stupid do you have to be to treat someone so poorly who is serving you food/beverage???

If it's been mentioned before, I apologize, but I just can't stand it when people treat the

crew badly. I just got off Navigator and witnessed two such events:

1. Day 1 in the Windjammer, we were seated next to a group of 4 ladies who were just

downright nasty. One snapped her fingers at the staff when they needed something and

they were all demanding Tanquery and Tonics as fast as the bartender could pour them.

They also called the staff "sweetie". Excuse me, that person has a name!

2. In the Dining Room, a couple of tables over there was a gentleman who had ordered

a bottle of wine. (We had the same waitstaff as they did) Towards the end of the meal

he called over the AW and proceeded to complain that the wine was described on the list as "Gold Label" or something and the wine he got wasn't that, he knew his wines, blah, blah,blah. Didn't stop him from drinking the entire bottle though! The other ladies at my

table and I felt so bad for this young AW, who did such a nice job. In fact we might have

gotten a little too loud looking at our own bottles of wine to see if they had "Gold Labels".

We joked about it quite a bit and the AW was laughing at us by the end of dinner. The other guy shut up pretty quick and didn't show up for dinner the second night. Bonus: We beat him and his wife at 80's Name that Tune Trivia!!!:)

my pet peeve is people complaining about all that goes on while onboard a ship! lets face it people rudeness is every where if someone cuts in front of us I bite my tongue and let it go. my luck I will blow and be thrown off the boat ah I mean ship. even if you did say something to the offender would they care more than likely not as they were rude to begin with!!!!

just my 2 cents.:)

I'm a pretty laid back sort of person, but ...

When did it become acceptable to wear a baseball hat inside? I have sat at many tables in the Windjammer with people next to me wearing hats while eating. Am I right out of step here or does anyone else think that this shows a shocking lack of manners?

Its either wear a cap, or blind you with the glare.............:eek:

Aubie

1. Chronic complainers.

2. Anyone, sitting alone in the Windjammer, hogging a whole table, reading a book or playing solitare. It's a table for dining, not your own personal little library. And then give you the old :rolleyes::rolleyes: when you ask if they mind sharing the other 80% of the table. Get up and find a chair somewhere to read so others can be seated to eat.

3. People 30 feet away, outside, that give you looks, and fan their faces because you're smoking where you're allowed to.

Aubie

1. Mean people

2. Rude or inconsiderate people

3. Obnoxious people

It doesn't take much to be kind to others and it makes for a much more enjoyable day. I believe in -treat others as you would like to be treated.

Archived