Help...Pre Cruise Stay Ft Lauderdale

perfectdj

We are not getting in to Ft. Lauderdale until 10:30 p.m., so we are looking for something pretty cheap, considering we won't be there enough to care about amenities, and most of the free hotel shuttles don't seem to be running at that time anyway. I am assuming the ships are leaving from Port Everglades. Does anyone have experience with the Motel 6 on Stirling in Dania? I guess we would have to take a taxi to the port, and also from the airport, so maybe we are saving money on the hotel but will be paying for the transportation anyway. It is so hard when you are not familiar with the area at all! I would like to be near a store so I can get some snacks for the kids, but if that doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world.

Jennifer

Search on the web for hotels/everglades or fort lauderdale, there are loads of cheap places

We always stay at the Hampton Inn in Plantation. It is about 15 minutes from the airport and also from the port and there is a free shuttle to both. They even told me today (we are at the hotel even as I write this prior to a cruise tomorrow) that they would take me to the liquor store to buy some wine to take on board. Great staff, Happy Hour from 5-7 daily with free beer and munchies, clean rooms, can leave your car while you cruise if you drive down, restaurants within walking distance as well as Broward Mall right next door. This is our fourth year staying here.

I concur with this assessment. The Sleep Inn is also adjacent to a Walgreens and a strip mall with a Publix Supermarket and restaurants.

Ditto that.. we were at the Sleep Inn a couple of weeks ago, and the Publix supermarket right across the street had an excellent wine selection for pre-cruise purchases. Also, there is an Italian restaurant in the strip mall with excellent food!

Gary

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in November and it was excellent. It's near the port and also within walking distance of a mall and other shopping. You can walk to the beach also.

this looks like a good deal at the moment which my friends just booked. It is the new hilton near the north entrance to Port Everglades:

$158 -- Florida Waterfront Hotel w/FREE Upgrade & Credit

http://ca.deals.travelzoo.com/us/526836?utm_source=top20_ca&utm_medium=email

I apologize in advance if I am not supposed to post the link though!

this looks like a good deal at the moment which my friends just booked. It is the new hilton near the north entrance to Port Everglades:

$158 -- Florida Waterfront Hotel w/FREE Upgrade & Credit

http://ca.deals.travelzoo.com/us/526836?utm_source=top20_ca&utm_medium=email

I apologize in advance if I am not supposed to post the link though!

That is a good price for the Grande - we have stayed there before.

Ron

Ditto that.. we were at the Sleep Inn a couple of weeks ago, and the Publix supermarket right across the street had an excellent wine selection for pre-cruise purchases. Also, there is an Italian restaurant in the strip mall with excellent food!

Gary

We stayed there a few years ago and got some chinese take-out and ate it at the poolside table. Do you remember seeing the chinese take-out? Hope it's still there:)

We stayed at the Hampton Inn last Sept for 89.00 a night. Wanted the same hotel for this February but the price was closer to 250.00 per night-- nice place but i wanted soemthing cheaper then that price

that's the difference between Sept and Feb..We stayed there (same one) a few years ago, it was the week after Thanksgiving and I think we paid $79.00. I had clients stay there the following January and pay $189.00.

Dwilliam, I don't know about the Hampton Inn you mention but I have rarely been disappointed in a Hampton Inn and if you can get $89 anytime from Dec to April you should grab it..

Nita

Americ's Best Inn just north of the airport is around $85 and gets reasonable reviews, cheap and cheerful is probably the description. Just set the expectations at that! 3001 SE 6th Avenue

We stayed here in Nov/07,Cheap & Clean would be what I'd call it.:) We're only there for 10 hours so it fit the need. Nothing and I mean nothing around it. Walked almost a mile to get a coffee in the morning(they do have free coffee but I'm an early riser). Was owned by a young couple with a couple of young kids and they lived onsite.

Pam, if your daughter is just looking for place to sleep I'd recommend it but make sure she eats before hand or brings snacks otherwise it's a taxi ride. Area could be called kind of seedy industrial. I didn't feel unsafe there just not a real pleasant area.

Just booked the 4* Marriate Renaissance on 17th street through priceline for 110.00--normal value is 220.

With Priceline do you have any way to guarantee the Renaissance. I like this hotel for location and am a Marriott Rewards member. If not Priceline does anyone have another method to get the Renaissance at a great price? We're looking for Mar 9th. Thanks.

We stayed at Renaissance last year, it was great BUT this year could not get a decent rate I tried hotline and ended up at Marriott North, decent enough but ended up needing to rent a car since nothing is around it.....got a great rate on an AVIS car for $35 so was able to make it work used the the car the prior day to toodle around.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Ft Lauderdale to stay the night before - close to port. I am looking for mid price range....thanks! We need rooms for 8ppl in March.

We had ten of us stay at the Springhill suites in Dania Beach, free shuttle from the airport & free shuttle to port everglades. Free breakfast too...

i will be staying at the springhill suites in dania next friday night before my saturday cruise on the ruby...

1.) What time does the shuttle to the cruise leave in the morning?

2.) is there a liquor store in walking distance(and wine shop)?

With Priceline do you have any way to guarantee the Renaissance. I like this hotel for location and am a Marriott Rewards member. If not Priceline does anyone have another method to get the Renaissance at a great price? We're looking for Mar 9th. Thanks.

I don't believe there are any "guarantees" with Priceline, but we bid on a "4 star" in the FLL section where port is, and got the Renaissance for first bid ($123.00 for a Friday night in April). Might have gotten it for less if I tried.......but might have ended up somewhere else too!

In any case, I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the 4 stars and I don't believe any would be far from the port.

Any hotel on SE 17th street is very close. The Fort Lauderdale Grande (Now Hilton & Formerly Marriott) is right across the street from the cruise terminal.

The airport is only 5 minutes away so any hotel around the airport is very close.

I have had really good luck with Priceline and Hotwire. Hotwire now has a service similar to Priceline in that you do not know what hotel you are getting but it does give you the price up front.

Use BetterBidding.com if you want to find out what hotel you are likely to get on Priceline or Hotwire. They are usually accurate about predicting your hotel and offer the best tactics for bidding.

Some other tips for those with some extra time in Fort Lauderdale. Take the water taxi if you want a really inexpensive tour of the intracoastal WW. It is a fraction of the price of a guided tour but the captains act as defacto tour guides and are awesome. An added bonus if you get to see a manatee like I did waiting at the dock. The thing just popped its head out of the water and sat there watching us. It was awesome.

For those staying on SE 17th, there is a really great inexpensive restaurant called the Quarterdeck. Its on Cordova just off SE 17th. Lots of locals and not many tourists. It was recommended by the bar staff at the Fort Lauderdale Grande as the place they hang out afterwork. Highly recommended for an inexpensive meal.

Archived