Maitre'D same as head waiter?

esbie11

At your table you will have a waiter and an assistant waiter. The Head waiter is in charge of the these two. There are several Head waiters who, in turn, are in charge of several waiters and assistant waiters. The Maitre D is in charge of the entire dining room.

So why is it that you don't tip the Maitre'D? Is it similar to the idea that you don't tip the owner of a spa or salon, but you do tip the other workers "below" that person? Why does the tipping stop at the head waiter and not the Maitre D? Again, I am just curious:)

So why is it that you don't tip the Maitre'D? Is it similar to the idea that you don't tip the owner of a spa or salon, but you do tip the other workers "below" that person? Why does the tipping stop at the head waiter and not the Maitre D? Again, I am just curious:)

Because they have a salary paid by the cruise line that is a living wage. The waiters only have a token salary (i.e. around $50 per month) paid by the cruise line, so they are dependent upon tips to earn sufficient money. Also most people have little to no direct contact with the Maitre' D (a lot of their work is behind the scenes) whereas you will have lots of contact with your waiter and assistant waiter and some with your head waiter.

... The waiters only have a token salary (i.e. around $50 per month) paid by the cruise line, so they are dependent upon tips to earn sufficient money...

Wow - I had no idea that they earn next to nothing by the cruise line. Is it the same for the stateroom attendant ??

Wow - I had no idea that they earn next to nothing by the cruise line. Is it the same for the stateroom attendant ??

Yes. The waiters etc. on board work basically for tips...just like servers on land. Remember that on land in the US, the minimum wage for a waiter or waitress is not a living or sustainable wage, they are working for tips too.

It's not true that tipped crew members earn next to nothing from the cruise line.

Here is a section of an article from the Cruies Critic Feature section "Life Under the Captain's Table" written by the wife of a Celebrity Cruises Captain.

"...But I suggest you don't listen to all the stories of such poverty-stricken crew members with low salaries and terrible lives. When tipping, you are not paying for every crewmember onboard the ship. Each position on the ship is paid according to the industry rates for that position. So, for instance, a waiter can earn between $2,000 and $3,200 per month (while a busboy will pull in $1,200 - $1,800). A cabin steward's monthly salary is anywhere between $1,600 and $2,600. A massage therapist will rake in $2,000 - $3,000. (Note: As an FYI, average salaries for cruise staffers who don't earn tips include $3,000 - $7,000 for a cruise director and $1,500 - $2,200 for a social hostess)..."

Click here to read the complete article, "Gratuities - What's the Point?".

It's not true that tipped crew members earn next to nothing from the cruise line.

Here is a section of an article from the Cruies Critic Feature section "Life Under the Captain's Table" written by the wife of a Celebrity Cruises Captain.

"...But I suggest you don't listen to all the stories of such poverty-stricken crew members with low salaries and terrible lives. When tipping, you are not paying for every crewmember onboard the ship. Each position on the ship is paid according to the industry rates for that position. So, for instance, a waiter can earn between $2,000 and $3,200 per month (while a busboy will pull in $1,200 - $1,800). A cabin steward's monthly salary is anywhere between $1,600 and $2,600. A massage therapist will rake in $2,000 - $3,000. (Note: As an FYI, average salaries for cruise staffers who don't earn tips include $3,000 - $7,000 for a cruise director and $1,500 - $2,200 for a social hostess)..."

The average salaries for waiters, stewards above include an expected gratuity from each passenger in their area. Without the gratuity suggested, their salaries are very low. As for the message therapist...the spa is not owned by the cruiseline but is a subcontractor and their employees are paid a wage. Cruise director, social hostesses, entertainers, etc., are also paid a flat wage...they are employeed by the cruiseline and are paid the industry standard.

There is no need to tip the Maitre'd (who also makes a very nice flat salary) unless he/she has done something above and beyond his normal duties. If you order a cake or ask for special seating arrangements, etc., it is customary to tip him but ordinarily, there would be no tip for him in spite of the suggested tip on many cruise websites.

Be aware that those figures of the supposed earnings of the waiter, assistant waiter and room steward include the tips that it is anticipated that they will receive. It is not an amount that the cruiseline pays them. :rolleyes: Regardless, they work very hard and should be tipped according to the quality of the service they provide. :)

The average salaries for waiters' date=' stewards above include an expected gratuity from each passenger in their area. Without the gratuity suggested, their salaries are very low. As for the message therapist...the spa is not owned by the cruiseline but is a subcontractor and their employees are paid a wage. Cruise director, social hostesses, entertainers, etc., are also paid a flat wage...they are employeed by the cruiseline and are paid the industry standard.

There is no need to tip the Maitre'd (who also makes a very nice flat salary) unless he/she has done something above and beyond his normal duties. If you order a cake or ask for special seating arrangements, etc., it is customary to tip him but ordinarily, there would be no tip for him in spite of the suggested tip on many cruise websites.

Be aware that those figures of the supposed earnings of the waiter, assistant waiter and room steward include the tips that it is anticipated that they will receive. It is not an amount that the cruiseline pays them. :rolleyes: Regardless, they work very hard and should be tipped according to the quality of the service they provide. :)

I wondered about whether the figures included tips but then noted the line saying, " A cabin steward's monthly salary is anywhere between $1,600 and $2,600." which implies it is the portion of their pay that is guaranteed by the cruise line - the variance based on the experience, tenure and duties of the steward. If it includes assumed gratuities, it is not a salary.

No question, however that the hard work and service provided by these individuals is worth the recommended tip. In fact, we usually find it's worth more than that and tip accordingly.

As for whether they're "supposed" earnings, call me crazy but I tend to believe the writer of the article.

I'm wondering if I tipped the wrong person on our last cruise.

Who is the person standing by the doorway when you enter the dining room?

Maitre'D or Head waiter? I'm getting confused. If we have two waiters at our table, I thought one was the head waiter and one was the assistant.

UGGHHH I think I'm thinking too much! :confused:

Archived