Questions on Ruby/Emerald

JEDIKNIGHT

Hello, newbie to Princess.

1.)Is "Crown" a sister ship to Ruby/Emerald?

2.)FOOD: Overall I've read positive things on this board.

*Buffet: Are the items fresh, replenished frequently? Are the lines/crowds manageable?

*Thai-Indian-Chinese-Mexican: Does Princess offer spicy selections like this, and how are they?

*Room Service (suite) Is the menu decent, and does the food arive hot?

3.)Suite: What are the perks of getting a suite?

Thank you

Hello, newbie to Princess.

1.)Is "Crown" a sister ship to Ruby/Emerald?

Yes

2.)FOOD: Overall I've read positive things on this board.

*Buffet: Are the items fresh, replenished frequently? Are the lines/crowds manageable?

I think it is a good setup, most don't and thinks its too crowded. The foos is replaced all the time.

*Thai-Indian-Chinese-Mexican: Does Princess offer spicy selections like this, and how are they?

In the buffet they do, they are good, some Indian dishes too.

*Room Service (suite) Is the menu decent, and does the food arive hot?

If you are not in a suite then the room service menu is limited to about 4-5 entrees (sandwhichs/salads/desserts)

I think it is good.

3.)Suite: What are the perks of getting a suite?

Ordering dinner in your room/free laundry/free internet etc.

Thank you

Enjoy.

You'll always hear mixed reviews but we were on the Emerald in October and the buffet has something for everyone's taste. The food was fresh and constantly replaced.

The room service menu is not extensive but again you'll always find something to eat.

Enjoy your cruise - we loved ours.

I agree with edste that the buffet food was constantly being replaced, especially at meal times, when it goes quickly. If you look there are place cards near some items that list what time they are to be thrown out if not completely used. Several times, I saw a staff member actually doing this.

We were always able to find something to eat at the buffett. Several times, DH would get a burger from the on deck grill along with a piece of grilled chicken for me and would meet me in the buffet where I had made a salad and we would dine in the very back where it was fairly quiet.

*Buffet: Are the lines/crowds manageable?

First one must understand how the buffets are set up. In the Horizon Court (name used on most of the Princess ships), the main buffet, there are two sides. Both sides are open at the main meal hours with only one side open during the lesser attended hours.

Both sides have the same items.

The setup is such that other than entering the buffet area on the side of the ship you choose, there is not a single line. There are about eight stations with food and you can go among them in any order you desire.

On the Caribbean Princess and its sister ships, there is another buffet area (Cafe Caribe) just aft of the Horizon Court. At breakfast time it will have the same foods as the Horizon Court. At lunch time, it may have a themed meal (example, oriental). At dinner time it may be open and the Horizon Court may not be open. The Cafe Caribe does have only a single line to go through its buffet.

Also, on ships with both the Horizon Court and the Cafe Caribe, you may sit in either area no matter which buffet you obtained your food. The Horizon Court seating area is usually more crowded than the Cafe Caribe seating area when both buffets are open.

And a little publicized fact: There will be "free" ice cream with sundae fixings available in the Horizon Court for an hour each afternoon, starting on most ships at 3:30 PM.

Archived