Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Ruth,

Just wanted to tell you to have a wonderful vacation and enjoy your time with your grandchildren as well. We can't thank you enough for all your valuable help in answering all our questions. We will miss you.

Ellen:)

Thank you, Ellen, for your wishes and your lovely words. I'm glad to help :)

Happy travels!

Ruth,

Have a great vacation and a Shanah Tovah. Thank you for all the terrific information that you provide.

Harry

Thank you, Harry! I'm glad to see everything worked out for you with the cab from Ashdod- it sounds like you had a true mensch of a tour guide!

Shana Tovah!

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for all your advise. We just returned from our 3 week visit. Driving in Israel is as easy as driving in NYC or LA. I had no problems even without a GPS. We rented a cellphone from Travelcell and a car from Eldan and stayed in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Tiberias, En Gedi and Elait. A wonderful trip. We even saw Mini-Israel which we enjoyed. Enjoy your vacation in LA.

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for all your advise. We just returned from our 3 week visit. Driving in Israel is as easy as driving in NYC or LA. I had no problems even without a GPS. We rented a cellphone from Travelcell and a car from Eldan and stayed in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Tiberias, En Gedi and Elait. A wonderful trip. We even saw Mini-Israel which we enjoyed. Enjoy your vacation in LA.

Thanks Steve! Glad to hear you had a great trip :)

You're bolder than me, tho'- I think Israeli drivers are nuts! My husband and I could go on and on about the crazy things we've seen on the roads. :eek:

(Mmmm...then again, since you're comparing driving in Israel to driving in NYC or LA- I guess you didn't find it so strange :p)

Hi Everyone!

....And, speaking of my upcoming trip (to Los Angeles, Australia, New Zealand, and Florida, with 2 cruises thrown into the mix :D)- I'll be pretty much out of touch from September 25- December 1.

:)

Kia ora from AotearoaNZ.

We will be visiting your country on a cruise next October.m Thanks for all the information you have supplied on Israel. I'm sure you will love NZ & Aus. Don't miss our town, Rotorua, the tourist must see of the North Island. When will you be here?

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

Kia ora from AotearoaNZ.

We will be visiting your country on a cruise next October.m Thanks for all the information you have supplied on Israel. I'm sure you will love NZ & Aus. Don't miss our town, Rotorua, the tourist must see of the North Island. When will you be here?

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

Hi!

I'll be in New Zealand the first week of November. Unfortunately, I only have time for a week in NZ this trip, so will be only on the South Island (I won't even have time to see friends in Auckland!). But- I'm already starting to make plans for a second, longer trip in 2011 :D- so I'll visit Rotorua then :)

Ruth,

You have been so helpful on this board. I searched the posts but did not find any recommendations for hotels. If you've already posted them, and I missed them, I apologize. We will be staying in Jerusalem on a Saturday night next June. We would like to stay in a moderately priced hotel in a safe area in which we could walk around. Do you have any recommendations?

Many thanks!

Ruth,

You have been so helpful on this board. I searched the posts but did not find any recommendations for hotels. If you've already posted them, and I missed them, I apologize. We will be staying in Jerusalem on a Saturday night next June. We would like to stay in a moderately priced hotel in a safe area in which we could walk around. Do you have any recommendations?

Many thanks!

I'm pretty sure that on the first page of this thread I wrote a response with a few Jerusalem hotels- I'm leaving on my trip in a short while, and just stopping in for a quick check, so I'll leave it to you to go back and check the first couple of pages. Since your trip is several months away, if you don't find the post, then you'll have plenty of time to ask again when I get back ;)

[bTW- any area in west Jerusalem is perfectly safe to walk around 24/7. I don't think twice about walking around the city alone at any hour.]

OK- that's it- I'm off to finish packing! Happy travels everyone- I'll be back online at the beginning of December :)

Edited by happy trailer

Two weeks ago we stayed at the Dan Panorama. It cost $220 and included a great breakfast buffet. You can walk to Ben Yehuda St. and the Jaffa Gate. Also check out the YMCA, a block away, which is said to be cheap and nice. We ate there and it very good.

I'm pretty sure that on the first page of this thread I wrote a response with a few Jerusalem hotels- I'm leaving on my trip in a short while, and just stopping in for a quick check, so I'll leave it to you to go back and check the first couple of pages. Since your trip is several months away, if you don't find the post, then you'll have plenty of time to ask again when I get back ;)

[bTW- any area in west Jerusalem is perfectly safe to walk around 24/7. I don't think twice about walking around the city alone at any hour.]

OK- that's it- I'm off to finish packing! Happy travels everyone- I'll be back online at the beginning of December :)

For those who are following this thread, I went back and found Ruth's hotel recommendations on Post #28.

Thanks, Ruth!

• 3 weeks later...

I have enjoyed reading your replies. Thanks! Here are my questions: (1). What type of weather should we expect on a typical February 28? (2). We are very familiar with Jerusalem. What is your opinion of using a taxi to go from the port to Jerusalem and back? Any problems? Any estimate of taxi cost? Thanks again!

I have enjoyed reading your replies. Thanks! Here are my questions: (1). What type of weather should we expect on a typical February 28? (2). We are very familiar with Jerusalem. What is your opinion of using a taxi to go from the port to Jerusalem and back? Any problems? Any estimate of taxi cost? Thanks again!

God is the only one to know about the weather... but it is winter time, it will be a bit cold, can be rainy and if you'll be lucky....snowy!

Taxi is expensive! Take the bus.

Thanks Moti! I had not consider the bus. Is bus service frequent between port at Ashdod and Jerusalem? How long does it take for a bus? By the way, we love Israel! While we have always done Israel with a "big bus" tour, we are thinking about doing this one day on our own. Are we stupid to consider this method?

Thanks Moti! I had not consider the bus. Is bus service frequent between port at Ashdod and Jerusalem? How long does it take for a bus? By the way, we love Israel! While we have always done Israel with a "big bus" tour, we are thinking about doing this one day on our own. Are we stupid to consider this method?

No you are not!!!!

First bus from Ashdod 438 or 448 to Jerusalem is on 06:00am.it around 1.5hr the same like by car

between 07:00-08:00 you have a bus every 15min and later on every 30min. The price by the wat is 19Nis (arround 5$)

you can check the full schedual of all buses here

Getting back you have bus every 45min from the afternoon.

to this you should add taxi fares from the port to the bus staion (not more then 6-8$) and back. In Jerusalem you can take the bus to the old city (1.5$) that runs every 5-10 min

Edited by Moti Bar-Tuv

Dear Ruth,

We will be on a cruise which stops in Haifa, and Ashod August 1 and 2. My husband Robert has a lot of questions and I just wanted to say hello before he sends you his questions. And I would like to thank you in advance for being so helpful. We are from your neck of the woods - New York!

Adrienne

Edited by adriennerenee