How do you have a social life without food?

cruizinwithkids

I often read here that people did poorly on their diets because they had friends or relatives or something to entertain and therefore did poorly on their diets.

I asked a friend of mine if she wanted to go to the movies and then out to dinner tonight. She said she didn't feel like movies but did feel like going to dinner.

So now I sit here knowing that I ate way too much tonight.

How do people maintain a social life without involving food? What type of activities do people like other than going out to dinner?

Thanks for any input.

That's a great question you posed.

For me, it's easy. I meet friends for a walk in the park. A bike ride. A game of tennis. A picnic at the beach and we each bring our own food. Barnes and Noble for coffee and chat. Starbucks for tea and chat. Go to a concert or festival. We went to a Greek Festival tonite and just walked around. The food was so expensive so it was easy to not eat!

Or I have friends over for dinnner and look for great recipes online to serve that are healthy and low fat/low calorie. You can join a book club. You can both go to an exercise class. You can work on a craft project together, or take an adult ed class.

Going out to eat: You have to make a conscious decision to NOT overeat. For example, you can have bread the rest of your life. You don't need to eat it if it's on the table in a basket. You can get an appetizer or soup. Or you can eat AHEAD before you go there and just get a small salad.

You can ask for a doggy bag as soon as they serve your meal and bring the rest home..chances are you can get 2, 3, or even 4 meals out of it. You can eat salad and opt out on the croutons and cheese, and get the dressing on the side. Dip your fork into the dressing before you spear the salad with it. Almost everyplace has grilled chicken of some sort or fish.

I don't find it hard, personally. You just have to get creative.

I often read here that people did poorly on their diets because they had friends or relatives or something to entertain and therefore did poorly on their diets.

I asked a friend of mine if she wanted to go to the movies and then out to dinner tonight. She said she didn't feel like movies but did feel like going to dinner.

How do people maintain a social life without involving food? What type of activities do people like other than going out to dinner?

Thanks for any input.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I do have to admit that I laughed at them. You and I definitely have different lives and your answer really highlighted that. This friend is also an unusual situation. Please note that my responses are true, but meant to be comical.

That's a great question you posed.

For me, it's easy. I meet friends for a walk in the park. A bike ride. A game of tennis. A picnic at the beach and we each bring our own food. Barnes and Noble for coffee and chat. Starbucks for tea and chat. Go to a concert or festival. We went to a Greek Festival tonite and just walked around. The food was so expensive so it was easy to not eat!

It's 20 degrees out where I live. Outdoor activities won't really cut it.

Or I have friends over for dinnner and look for great recipes online to serve that are healthy and low fat/low calorie.

My friend and I both have kids. We are looking for a night away from the home, cooking, family thing.

You can join a book club. You can both go to an exercise class. You can work on a craft project together, or take an adult ed class.

The book club isn't a bad idea but not really a spur of the moment activity. The exercise class isn't a great idea since my friend who had her leg amputated when she was 7 is currently undergoing chemotherapy and tires easily.

Going out to eat: You have to make a conscious decision to NOT overeat. For example, you can have bread the rest of your life. You don't need to eat it if it's on the table in a basket. You can get an appetizer or soup. Or you can eat AHEAD before you go there and just get a small salad.

You can ask for a doggy bag as soon as they serve your meal and bring the rest home..chances are you can get 2, 3, or even 4 meals out of it. You can eat salad and opt out on the croutons and cheese, and get the dressing on the side. Dip your fork into the dressing before you spear the salad with it. Almost everyplace has grilled chicken of some sort or fish.

I'm actually pretty good with the going out stuff and have lost over 100 lbs in the last year and a half. I have achieved my goal and am maintaining, but tonight kind of blew it.

I don't find it hard, personally. You just have to get creative.

I definitely need to get on board with the creativeness.:D

Well, I am laughing as well..not meant to be critical at you..but to me they are excuses.

You can bundle up and walk in 20 degree weather.I went to grad school and lived in Michigan for 10 years so I know what it's like to be cold, and I grew up in S.America..

A book club..kids don't go to those usually.

Friend with the amputee..well, there are some other kinds of things you could join,maybe not an exercise class

100lbs? That is TERRIFIC!! Now everyone will want to know your secrets..what are they??

Thanks for the suggestions, but I do have to admit that I laughed at them. You and I definitely have different lives and your answer really highlighted that. This friend is also an unusual situation. Please note that my responses are true, but meant to be comical.

Touche!

Congratulations. Seriously. I have backslidden somewhat since Jan started. I just finished an intense 2 week course and exam yesterday and I have to say I snacked a lot! Not weighing myself until next week when hopefully I won't be so shocked...

I think the key to eating out is in the choices we make. Ordering shrimp cocktail instead of potato skins smothered in sheese and bacon....

Mo

Some ideas I have:

A snowball fight. It is rarely 20 degrees here, and we see snow MAYBE once a year for a few hours.

Ice skating. Bundle up.

A spa night: do manicures, pedicures, and facials at home with your friends.

Wii night: play Wii tennis, bowling, etc. It will get you moving slightly.

Grab some friends and volunteer somewhere. You are doing others good, too. Soup kitchens, nursing homes, etc. You will be appreciated.

Make something that you have been wanting - a wreath, home beauty recipes, soaps, beading necklaces and earrings, etc...

OK, now I am laughing too!

For you guys in warmer climates a snow ball fight might sound fun or even "romantic" but I assure you, when you live in weather that gets below zero with the wind causing the expression on your face to freeze, the very last thing you want to do is be outside for any length of time. It has to be something one wants to do, not dread.....

But sure going out to dinner is a social function and lots of fun. My husband often likes to go out to dinner and I can work with it... Sometimes our lifes get so busy we forget to just stop and spend time with each other. When we go out to dinner our focus is on each other, so I really like to go out to diiner with him. I will order grilled samon, or a burger with no bread... I have also been known to bring my own salad dressing in my pocketbook so I can order a "fancy salad" and not worry the amount of calories in the dressing. You can go out to dinner and still be fine, just takes a little more willpower and picking a resturant that has healthy items on the menu.

But yes, Wii night sounds like fun. A girl I work with, her and her friends all pitched in for one and they meet at a grilsfriends house and do it together.... The girlfriend with no kids!!

I posted this somewhere else, but to really have some fun, try a restaurant from another ethnic cuisine. Of course, if you don't live in a large city there may not be any. But, Vietamese and some of the other Asian places often have steamed veggie type dishes and Indian places have a lot of good dishes with veggies, grains, etc. Of course, naan bread will kill you (calorie wise) but it's good to experiement.

Another idea is to maybe have a "healthy food " pot luck or something for your friends...everybody bring a low calorie dish and a recipe. Or a "make your own salad" night, everybody bring a unique salad thing.

I guess I am spoiled in Florida..too many things to choose from some weekends...although the Greek Festival yesterday was fun. I ate NO pastries..just had greek coffee.

OK, now I am laughing too!

For you guys in warmer climates a snow ball fight might sound fun or even "romantic" but I assure you, when you live in weather that gets below zero with the wind causing the expression on your face to freeze, the very last thing you want to do is be outside for any length of time. It has to be something one wants to do, not dread.....

But sure going out to dinner is a social function and lots of fun. My husband often likes to go out to dinner and I can work with it... Sometimes our lifes get so busy we forget to just stop and spend time with each other. When we go out to dinner our focus is on each other, so I really like to go out to diiner with him. I will order grilled samon, or a burger with no bread... I have also been known to bring my own salad dressing in my pocketbook so I can order a "fancy salad" and not worry the amount of calories in the dressing. You can go out to dinner and still be fine, just takes a little more willpower and picking a resturant that has healthy items on the menu.

But yes, Wii night sounds like fun. A girl I work with, her and her friends all pitched in for one and they meet at a grilsfriends house and do it together.... The girlfriend with no kids!!

Here is the culprit of your downfall. It is not eating but eating way too much.

Just because you go out to eat doesn't mean you have to overeat. A diet is never successful if you deprive yourself. Eat a salad, eat some veggies, snack on a fruit plate or sip on some soup. Most restaurants have plenty of health options nowadays.

There are still many things you can do without food...as many others suggested--spa night, video game night, going to a cultural event (museums, play, etc), volunteering, or starting your next home improvement project!

Try a sushi bar. Order only one thing at a time, say two pieces of salmon sashimi ( no rice!) If you order a roll, ask for it to be wrapped in cucumber instead of rice. Miso soup takes a long time to eat and is less than 100 calories. You can spend hours out at dinner with your friend this way & not eat a ton of fattening food. You can eat pretty much anywhere, just be careful about what you order. Try and start with a clear (not cream) soup. It will help you eat less! Order a big green salad and carry your own fat free dressing ( or go for the full fat and take some alli) My DH and I eat out at least 6 times a week and our rule is we either walk or ride our bikes to go out to eat. There's a few places we go to that are 9 or 10 miles away so the bike ride is quite a work out! We say rain or cold is no excuse! My butt does not take a day off from getting fat because it's cold! It's great that you lost 100, but now you want to keep it off & have a life!

And if you blow it one day, just get back up and do good the next day!!! One day isn't going to hurt you being you've already lost 100 pounds. You must know what you are doing right!!!!:D:D:D

Thanks. I really didn't blow - well except I did have dessert. Other than that I budgeted my calories for the day. I eat very healthy every day and I know one day isn't the end of the world.

I really was just looking for ideas of things to do that didn't involve food. So far most of the suggestions given include food.

Miso soup is great, but has VERY high sodium so you have to watch it,and rice vinegar used in sushi has a degree of sugar in it.

Try a sushi bar. Order only one thing at a time, say two pieces of salmon sashimi ( no rice!) If you order a roll, ask for it to be wrapped in cucumber instead of rice. Miso soup takes a long time to eat and is less than 100 calories. You can spend hours out at dinner with your friend this way & not eat a ton of fattening food. You can eat pretty much anywhere, just be careful about what you order. Try and start with a clear (not cream) soup. It will help you eat less! Order a big green salad and carry your own fat free dressing ( or go for the full fat and take some alli) My DH and I eat out at least 6 times a week and our rule is we either walk or ride our bikes to go out to eat. There's a few places we go to that are 9 or 10 miles away so the bike ride is quite a work out! We say rain or cold is no excuse! My butt does not take a day off from getting fat because it's cold! It's great that you lost 100, but now you want to keep it off & have a life!

snowball fights ARE fun! i did not know a "milder" winter until i was over 30 - having spent my winters in nebraska and colorado. lots of snow and lots of cold.

my only ish with the past two days here (we had snow days) is there is no snow. just ice. granted, it is only 28 degrees at its worst. but for a sub zero snow fight, i recommend a balaclava and other good gear!

i am a hopeless snow lover...

Archived