how clean is rented snorkel equipment?

iceman262

We're cruising in 2 weeks and plan on snorkeling in Cayman. We signed up for a tour through the ship and the snorkeling equipment is included. However, my wife's a little wary about using the equipment on the boat. I really don't want to have buy flippers and masks, not to mention schlepping them on board. I told my wife that they probably sterilize everything with bleach or some other kind of sanitizer. Still, anyone know for sure? Did anyone ever have a problem with this?

Snorkel gear is sanitized using a rinsing agent that is similar to what is used in commercial dish washers. They just rinse it in the sanitizer and then let it air dry.

For what it is worth, the sea itself is a veritable soup of bacteria and other stuff - all generally non-harmful.

Carnival now sells snorkels at the Excursion Desk for $5. They are certainly not fancy, but would serve the purpose of being germ free. I don't know how many they carry, but they had a bucket of them on the counter on the first day.

Archived